AS but "telepathic" about what others really think

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 10:27 am

As I understand AS, it isn't that we can't know what others think and feel but rather we don't process and respond to that information as NTs do.

How often do you KNOW what's really going on from what's said, how it's said, subtle body language, but you are clueless about what you should do with the information? You pick up on all the information, but if you were to shout out "LIAR" you'd really cause a scene and you'd be hard pressed to explain that you KNOW something is true because somehow your autistic brain picked up on all the details and is shoving it's conclusion to the front of your brain.

Nightsun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 10:35 am

Nowaday I grasp people far better than NT-average (my wife used to say that I'm like "The Mentalist"), I'm pretty good at understanding people now, and I've worked a lot on it. Said that, I do it brainy, not intuitive. I had to look at body language and language subtelies and given my eye for detail I do it better than neurotypical.

Mysty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 11:59 am

I think there are some people with AS traits who actually are good at reading non-verbal signals. (Though there are also those who truly aren't good at reading non-verbals.) For me, it's like, sometimes, I don't know the social rules. Get me on an internet forum, where I can't read non-verbals (because there are none to see), and it can get messy. And there's the NTs getting along just fine, even with the lack of non-verbals. It's like, I don't intuitively pick up the social rules, social systems, information as well as most folks. And there's a difference between non knowing the rules, and choosing not to follow particular social rules.

Is that along the lines of what you are thinking?

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:16 pm

Sometimes I have felt like I could see through the facade of fakeness...but I should know better than to automatically assume that that is what is happening.

I have felt more intuitive regarding people's true intentions though it seems...after a while though it can make me feel borderline delusional...I would rather avoid the interractions if possible than be subject to seeing things that are not necc. there.

I was more hypersensitive to it when I was younger...and actually tried to socialize more (because I was in a band and surrounded by hyper-social people...and also in my early 20's I was borderline delusional for a while)

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:18 pm

Sometimes I feel like I am "telepathic", but the problem is that people are so dishonest about their feelings, that I am usually left confused.

As far as not knowing how to respond - I've noticed that I'll have several responses pass through my brain, but by they time I figure out what to say, it's too late because the conversation has turned. This is really frustrating because it makes other people uncomfortable because they can't figure me out, and just assume the worst. I guess what I mean is that for me, there is a lot of dead air and embarrassed smiles when I am talking to people I don't really know. It's different with the people I'm close to. They just accept that I am "weird".

caissa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Nov 2009, 12:20 pm

I used to think I had this "ability" but then I realized I was probably mistaken in many of the situations where I was convinced I was seeing the truth.

I could/ can perceive hypocrisies and inconsistencies through things people said VS what they did, yet the "psychic" intuition I no longer trust. I think it is in part because I cannot read social cues, so I start to construct a different social reality to fill in the blindness, and start to think I'm omnipotent.

FaithHopeCheese
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:32 pm

poopylungstuffing wrote:
I have felt more intuitive regarding people's true intentions though it seems...after a while though it can make me feel borderline delusional...I would rather avoid the interractions if possible than be subject to seeing things that are not necc. there.

I was more hypersensitive to it when I was younger...

I have felt delusional at times, too. I see it happen in other women, who are otherwise "normal", when they are stressed.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 12:38 pm

I think its more like knowing you're on the right page, or are interpreting quantifiable facts correctly. For example, Ive a tendency when on the same topic of discussion that i say the exact thing as someone else at the same time (im sure thats happened to most of us at some point). Could say that you're on the same wavelength as the people talking (which might go toward theory of mind and whatnot). Its like the saying, "Great minds think alike," course my brother adds (since our comments sync a lot), "Whoa, if thats the case, then Im screwed." >< :lol: . Is this kinda what you're thinking of with respect to this topic?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2009, 1:08 pm

FaithHopeCheese wrote:
As far as not knowing how to respond - I've noticed that I'll have several responses pass through my brain, but by they time I figure out what to say, it's too late because the conversation has turned.

That sums up my experience so well. I can watch other people interact and know what's really going on, but if I speak based on what I'm realizing, I tend to say things that are HIGHLY inappropriate because nobody wanted those issues stated in the open.

As a result, I've learned to keep my mouth shut, but when I deal with others, if I'm having a good day, I might pick up on what's really going on, but I'm confused on if I should say anything and if so, how much. By the time I figure it out, the moment has passed.

I can say I've learned to use this "telepathy" to some good. If I sense someone is throwing BS my way or otherwise being deceptive. If nothing else I know to follow my "instinct" and not trust them.

I used to call this insight my "paranoid delusional" voice, because it always seemed to have negative things to say about what was really going on around me, but it turned out that time and time again it was spot on.

ImNotOk
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Nov 2009, 1:48 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
FaithHopeCheese wrote:
As far as not knowing how to respond - I've noticed that I'll have several responses pass through my brain, but by they time I figure out what to say, it's too late because the conversation has turned.

That sums up my experience so well. I can watch other people interact and know what's really going on, but if I speak based on what I'm realizing, I tend to say things that are HIGHLY inappropriate because nobody wanted those issues stated in the open.

I do the same thing. I always end up, what I call referring back. Since my symptoms are not extreme most people just kinda roll their eyes at me and think I am wierd or rude. I tend to say things that I didnt catch on were supposed to be secret or I give very hard truthful facts that come out very insensitive, people seem to think I lack compassion, which leads me to a question.

Does anyone else get angry when people say that people with AS lack sensitivity and compassion? I am a very caring person and I worry about people a lot and I love the people in my life very much, I just show it differently then others. Goes back to that logic/love thing, just because I care and worry with logic doesnt mean I am unable to love.