Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2009, 5:08 pm

When I am getting freaked out, my instinct is to sit down on the floor in a corner or at least by a wall. I try not to, as it usually causes people to come near me and talk to me and freak me out even more. But it is difficult to think this when I am freaking out.
Sometimes I lie on the floor. I don't know what feeling I have when I lie on the floor. I only do it if I know it's okay to do so.

Does anyone else feel the need to sit on the floor or lie on the floor in response to their feelings?

pavel_filonov
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2009, 5:11 pm

Yes! When I am feeling very overwhelmed. Its not really a need I can explain. When I've had very bad anxiety attacks I've sometimes sat down on the pavement and refused to move.

I guess its better than being agressive or lashing out :?

Rainbow-Squirrel
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 5:11 pm

Kajjie wrote:
Does anyone else feel the need to sit on the floor or lie on the floor in response to their feelings?

I never did until two/three weeks ago, then some evenings while I was watching TV, exausted and with my mind wondering nowhere I felt the need to just lay down on the floor (and I actually did), like to free myself from some kind of pressure, idk. It's a weird period, I'm searching for some clarity and direction, hope this kind of need goes away soon.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 5:14 pm

hhhm, not in public no.
I do lie down whe I'm at home and need to relax or things are getting annoying but nothing out of the ordinary.
But when I was younger i used to just sit down anywhere and stare into space, it wasn't usually feelings that were doing it I guess it was more to do with day dreaming and wanting to escape in my head. When I started guides/girl guides when I was 11/12 I used to just lie on the carpet daydreaming and I got really funny looks off people, but I didn't really give a s**t at the time.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 5:24 pm

I lay on the floor face down. Never in public. In public I walk around like a robot and am to stiff to really do anything like that.

Hala
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2009, 6:19 pm

I curl up against a wall and tend to compulsively hit my head with my fists when I'm overwhelmed, heh. :oops:
I don't do it in public; I can barely show a trace of emotion in public.

Aspienoid
Raven
Raven

23 Mar 2009, 7:17 pm

I find sitting on the floor strangly calming. I'll sit down just about anywhere (out of the line of foot traffic, of course!) when I feel nervous or overwhelmed. I sit on the floor (in the middle of the hallway, sometimes) everyday before school and during lunch.

At home I'll lay on the floor. Sometimes in my room, the hallway, the living room, the bathrrom, or the entryway. Just about wherever I am.

"With one good trait there is usually the sacrifice of another."

McTell
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 7:26 pm

I had a nervous attack in a lecture recently, so I had to go outside and I sat in a corner for a bit until my head became defogged. There were probably a few people looking at me, but I was in no state to notice or to care.

I don't like to be on the floor, but being in a corner seems quite comforting and safe to me.

dougn
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2009, 9:26 pm

No, I don't often have an urge to sit on the floor.

outlier
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 3:42 am

Yes, I've often sunk to the floor when overwhelmed in public. At home, I have other options.

Kajjie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2009, 12:45 pm

Hmm... it looks like it might be an Aspie thing. Although what McTell said though makes me wonder if I do it because I used to get panic attacks (still do just a lot more rarely) and sit on the floor because I felt too dizzy to stand, and maybe that's made a link so now it just goes 'stress - > sit on floor'

pavel_filonov - I also shut down (sit down and don't do anything at all) instead of getting aggressive.

Aspienoid - does no one mind you sitting in the middle of the hallway? People make enough fuss about me sitting in the corner of a quiet staircase! Although I have sat down/curled up in a ball in the corridors without people making too much fuss, so maybe it's something about staircases... :?

millie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:29 pm

[

Quote:
quote="outlier"]Yes, I've often sunk to the floor when overwhelmed in public. At home, I have other options.
[/quote]

i am starting to think outlier mught be some long lost animal twin of mine.
I have always sat down on the floor. When i first came ot WP i talked about my lax joints and my inability to stand for any length of time. When i was young and in high school, even BEFORE i became the druggie rebele, people assumed it was rebelliousness. it wasn't.
I cannot stand still for anylength of time. I rock on alternate feet. I slump on a counter. i go and find a wall to lean on or a wall and floor to sit with. (the carpet patterns and teh woodgrain ALWAYS make good company. :) )

ZEGH8578
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:31 pm

nope. i never sit comfortably on the floor, besides, i dont have a floor to sit on right now, its dissapeared underneath all my stuff

Acacia
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:39 pm

Kajjie wrote:

Yes indeed.
Sitting on the floor is always calming and centering to me, even when I am not extremely panicked. I generally find that it helps me focus, and that it reduces feelings of uncertainty or anxiety... The floor is safe and solid... almost like it is a sentient, supportive entity.

I never realized the significance of this until very recently, although I think this is something I've done my whole life.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2009, 1:41 pm

I love sitting/laying/whatever on the floor, as long as it's carpeted. Doesn't really depend on my mood, I don't think, I just do it whenever it's convenient (especially if I have a pillow or something to stick under my head).

If I sit cross-legged though, I usually start rocking, so I kind of try to avoid that around other people.

If I had my own place (or more space in my room) I would probably never sit on the couch...I know I've had my carpet taken away from me quite a few times, and I totally flipped out :x

Now I have my own rugs and everything's good in the world =)

Tragedyanne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Mar 2009, 8:33 pm

Usually when I'm really upset about something, or when I'm deeply thinking I find it helps my concentration. I also sometimes sit on the floor in public, like if I'm with someone and waiting for them to do something. Most people tell me that the floor is dirty, but it doesn't bother me.