Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Psiri
Toucan
Toucan

19 Dec 2009, 11:14 am

It occurred to me the other day, I don't do anything for fun anymore. I mean I never go into something with the intention of enjoying myself. I used to, but I was always trying to enjoy what other people enjoyed - things involving crowds, music etc. and slowly the idea dropped from my mind until I was just doing things out of habit and trying to endure them. No wonder I'm neurotic. With my diagnosis, I've stopped forcing myself to do these things, but I've got nothing to replace them.

So I'm wondering, what do aspies do for fun?

Rain_Bird
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2009, 11:32 am

Read things online, play video games, and things that would be better discussed in the Adult forum. :P
That's about it really... I never realized how boring I am until just now...

Audiophile
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2009, 11:45 am

If I was working(so as to have gas money), in my free time I'd be driving anywhere I could, and now that it's winter outside, there's a few empty parking lots to play in :D . Listening to music at moderate levels, watching episodes of top gear. That's about it.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Dec 2009, 12:47 pm

I enjoy listening to my i-Tunes, browsing around on my computer, curling up with a good book, whether it's a book for adults or for children. I especially enjoy children's literature, particularly literature for young children. I really enjoy making trips to Barnes and Noble. I know that Barnes and Noble represents corrupt big business interests, and has put many independent bookstores out of business. In theory, I completely disapprove. In practice, however, I found the atmosphere created within a Barnes and Noble to be quite appealing, and somehow calming.The color scheme appeals to me, as does being surrounded by a seemingly infinite number of books. I especially enjoy sitting on the floor of the children's section, paging through book after book. There are certain books I read over and over again when I'm there- picture books are quick reads after all - and then I'll also read a few new and different books each time. . I get plenty of odd looks -- an grown woman sitting cross legged on the floor of the children's section of Barnes and Noble, reading one picture book after another. I also read some chapter books for older children, and novels for adults as well, but I do spend quite a bit of time sitting by myself, reading picture books. I'm aware of how odd it looks, but I no longer let that deter me. I do also enjoy chatting with my boyfriend S, on Skype (he's on the other side of the country) and playing Mad Libs with him, but I'm also quite content to spend rtime on my own, doing the aforementioned activities. I know that the average NT would find me to be quite boring, but then, I find many of the activities NTs typically find enjoyable to be quite tedious. I suppose I'll just have to accept disagreeing with the average NT exttrovert on what consitutes a good time.

heliocopters
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2009, 1:02 pm

I organize my paintbrushes according to quality and size.

In all seriousness, though, I like to go on hikes and walks through the woods and nature parks. I like playing with my cats and my dog. I used to play a lot of video games when I was younger but my (first :roll: ) stepmother stole my N64 when my dad divorced her and I sold my PS2 to buy a plane ticket to visit someone...and I have no money to buy a new system. Usually if a friend has a game system I usually insist that we must play a game. Reading counts as fun, right? Yoga, too. Yoga's fun. I like going to fancy grocery stores late at night. I don't know why.

Doing art used to be fun, until art turned into schoolwork for me. Now it's more work than play, and that's really sad for me to say.

When I'm angry or frustrated I make vegan, gluten-free cookies. I don't know if that counts as fun. They taste good, though. Anger is my secret ingredient.

Vance
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Dec 2009, 1:15 pm

Videogames are my main source of entertainment. Walking comes in a close second, and cinema and books are a distant third. Games have always done a good job of filling the gap where a healthy social life is supposed to be.

heliocopters wrote:
Doing art used to be fun, until art turned into schoolwork for me. Now it's more work than play, and that's really sad for me to say.

Studying art had that effect on me, too. Having to take my work seriously and look at it critically in order to improve really sucked the fun out of it. I can't pick up a pencil now without asking myself whether the end result will be worth the time and effort.

Irishlass99
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Dec 2009, 2:12 pm

I read biographies or non-fiction.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 2:26 pm

I listen to YouTube as I post on WP. 8)

Ambivalence
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 2:34 pm

Music, books, computers. I go to see live music sometimes, as I don't find crowds and loud noises too stressful. Used to go for long walks by myself, but haven't done that for a while. Also used to go LRPing, which unfortunately is precisely the sort of thing that stresses me out. :(

The year is still young.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 2:56 pm

Quote:
I used to play a lot of video games when I was younger but my (first ) stepmother stole my N64 when my dad divorced her and I sold my PS2 to buy a plane ticket to visit someone...and I have no money to buy a new system.

Sucks... You could get a N64 quite cheap now though. Which brings me onto my 'fun'. I have almost every game console available and play them obsessively! I also enjoy playing the Sims 2 all the time (can't afford Sims3!).

I also (rather autistically) read the road atlas, watch the same Disney tapes over and over and play with my pet rabbit... I suppose I'm pretty boring too!

fiddlerpianist
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 2:57 pm

I contra dance.

JamScone
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Dec 2009, 3:01 pm

I find that bringing my awareness into the fun zone in my head is the most beneficial.
previously, I would be doing things which looked great fun from the outside, but I would not be internally enjoying them.
finding the 'on' button for pleasure is not straightforward, there seems to be a barrier of anxiety in the way.
meditation has helped somewhat
self acceptance also and maintaining the principle that "this is about me, enjoying my own feelings" and not 'performing' which has been my main defence in life since school when I found that I could get attention by being the 'class clown'
I'm not from the video games era, BBC radio4 would occupy and stimulate and distract my vast intellect. Now I am learning how to sit and simply 'be' and to know that "I am enough"
it's been a long journey.

PS I met a Medicine Woman, she taught me how to 'meld' with plants and rocks and animals and to sense 'Earth Energies'
Whilst not the whoopin and a hollerin kinda fun, the stillness and power it produces helps me to enjoy the fizzier type of fun when it happens.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 4:40 pm

Lots of things. Playing with my cats; playing computer games; doing crochet; watching lectures online; trawling through the Medline database for interesting articles. Reading, though less so since I discovered audiobooks and have established a constant IV-like feed of information and stories through my mp3 player. Also blogging and hanging out here and on AFF.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 5:05 pm

Visiting a library or bookstore are fun for me. I once got so absorbed exploring a bookstore that my husband left, had dinner, came back, and I'd never noticed he had been gone until I told him as we were leaving that I was hungry, and he told me he'd already eaten. :P

My favorite job ever was working as a page in a library, for less than minimum wage (I was a student). I was my most fit then, too, because although I hate exercising, they used to discourage us from using the elevator, to save power, and we stored reference materials in the basement, so I was always running up or downstairs carrying something for a patron -- lots of good exercise. :)

I find that I have to seek my own adaptation of what others consider fun, or simply do things on my own.

For me, things also lose their attraction for me as soon as I have to try to make money doing them. Trying to sell my fiction almost ruined writing for me as a source of joy. Now I'm working on getting back to doing it just for me.

These days my fun is:

watching movies (on DVD)
playing with my cat
reading (books or on the internet -- there are no bookstores and only a tiny library near me)
needlework
cooking (but not to a schedule)

That's about it!

gramirez
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2009, 5:22 pm

Fun? What is that? I do enjoy playing piano, but I can't say I've ever had "fun".

Oisin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Dec 2009, 5:49 pm

I love to spend time in a second hand bookstores. Sometimes you can find really interesting books. It's a pitty that there aren't many around any more. I used to collect comic books when I was younger, mainly Lucky Luke, Astrix and Obelix and Suske en Wiske. The last one is an Flamish comic. I also like to watch my cats and listen to them, one of them is very vocal. I like cooking too, i usually make the same things. They work and are nice, so why shall I make anything different? :colors: