Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Wags
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Feb 2014, 10:20 pm

Light touch doesn't bother me. It really tickles, so I always rub my fingers along my arm or leg because it feels ticklish and wierd . Also, When people touch me I enter a euphoria like state. Someone I was eating lunch with grabbed my chin in a nice way and said goodbye, and I entered like euphoria because it felt so good. Also, I like heavy objects on myself, like suitcase or pillows. Anyone else have this too?

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 10:25 pm

Wags wrote:
Light touch doesn't bother me. It really tickles, so I always rub my fingers along my arm or leg because it feels ticklish and wierd . Also, When people touch me I enter a euphoria like state. Someone I was eating lunch with grabbed my chin in a nice way and said goodbye, and I entered like euphoria because it felt so good. Also, I like heavy objects on myself, like suitcase or pillows. Anyone else have this too?

Light touch makes me jump 10 feet, I often squirm when someone puts a hand on me and try to get away. It's "too much" and makes me shaky. What your describing does not sound like an ASD trait.

Just look at the dinosaurs, they died out because they didn't have a space program.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 10:32 pm

Could what the OP described be some manifestation of synaesthesia?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24995232

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 11:33 pm

It absolutely sounds like an aspie trait; proprioceptive hyposensitivity (requiring a lot of pressure or physical input to be aware of one's body in space and deriving pleasure from such input) is the opposite of your problem Dreycrux. I have both hyper and hyposensitivity to physical touch; I can't stand light feathery touch, but I love high impacts and heavy objects on top of me. I sleep under a weighted blanket at night and it definitely helps. While I can't stand it if someone pats me on the shoulder or thumps me on the arm, if they hug or squeeze me, I'll try to stay there as long as possible.

Synesthesia has nothing to do with physical sensitivity; it's a type of neurological wiring that causes multiple stimuli to be experienced together, for instance, seeing letters, numbers and words in colour (like I do), seeing patterns and coloured swirls while listening to music, or tasting specific flavours when hearing different people speak. There's a very rare type of synesthesia called mirror synesthesia in which a person can watch someone being touched and feel as if they are being touched themselves, but that has nothing to do with proprioceptive sensitivity.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Cheshirekitten
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2014, 11:50 pm

I can relate to this. I really enjoy light, grazing touches on my hands and arms, but only if I expect them and am fond of the person toughing me. If someone or something touches me by surprise I tend to get spooked and feel very uncomfortable. I never enjoy being touched by someone I don't know or with whom I am uncomfortable. I also enjoy weight pressing on me at times, like one gets from a weighted blanket. Some days I feel so restless and discontent and that is the only sensation I want.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2014, 11:56 pm

Thank you :D

I'll shut up, though the very fact that synaesthesia exists at all is bloody fascinating to me. There was a thread a few weeks ago along the lines of "would you be NT for a week" and I found myself wishing that I could throw a switch and experience music / colour synaesthesia and binge from the contents of my HDD and CD rack.

But then, I'm ignorant. Of course I find stuff like this fascinating.

Edit: in response to StarTrekker

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Feb 2014, 12:50 am

I certainly relate to that.

I'm immensely jumpy when touched or tapped unexpectedly...it is sometimes really embarrassing because I can get really startled by a simple "normal" touch and the other party either gets offended because they think I'm disgusted by their touch or they just laugh hysterically and poke fun at me. I also despise being touched in any way by strangers, people I don't know well, am casual friends with but don't trust yet, or just don't like, especially without permission or forewarning. Most times I can handle normal contact that happens within a group of friends, but if any of the lines are crossed, It is really bothersome and I may have to quickly remove myself or bluntly tell them to back off.

That said, there are few people who I do trust and care about and touch from them is just divine. It's not romantic or sexual or anything...just friendly or sisterly type physical contact or affection can be so wonderful and cathartic. I love the light tickles strokes..hand holding or pressure like when you lean up against someone. Any of these motions from the wrong person, however, would irk me to no end.

Clandestiny
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Feb 2014, 1:19 am

StarTrekker wrote:
It absolutely sounds like an aspie trait; proprioceptive hyposensitivity (requiring a lot of pressure or physical input to be aware of one's body in space and deriving pleasure from such input) is the opposite of your problem Dreycrux. I have both hyper and hyposensitivity to physical touch; I can't stand light feathery touch, but I love high impacts and heavy objects on top of me. I sleep under a weighted blanket at night and it definitely helps. While I can't stand it if someone pats me on the shoulder or thumps me on the arm, if they hug or squeeze me, I'll try to stay there as long as possible.

Synesthesia has nothing to do with physical sensitivity; it's a type of neurological wiring that causes multiple stimuli to be experienced together, for instance, seeing letters, numbers and words in colour (like I do), seeing patterns and coloured swirls while listening to music, or tasting specific flavours when hearing different people speak. There's a very rare type of synesthesia called mirror synesthesia in which a person can watch someone being touched and feel as if they are being touched themselves, but that has nothing to do with proprioceptive sensitivity.

Thanks for that info. I'm starting the process of meeting with a psychiatrist on wednesday (hopefully) to hopefully get a diagnoses (or not), and this was actually really helpful in helping me see other potential symptoms I have.

I'm somewhat like what the original poster described depending on the situation. Unexpected light tough is horrible as I feel like bugs are crawling all over me. I've accidently smacked many a person's hand because of this. When it's welcome however it sends tingles all over my body, like when my cat barely rubs up against my arm for attention.

WIth the heavy/restrictive thing, I can only fall asleep if I have a pillow over my head. I'll rest my head to the side on one pillow, then take the other and cover up as much of my head as I can and still breath, while pressing it down with my arm.

P.S. I adore your avatar. It makes me want to watch Voyager again.