Toucan
Toucan

21 Dec 2014, 4:32 pm

Some :skull: :!: :D

silentmode
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Dec 2014, 12:35 pm

At 50 I fully expect to be almost completely isolated from the day I retire and even more so if I outlive my wife. I dont expect to have any physical problems NTs dont have, but I am perhaps slightly more accident prone, so who knows. I just pray to god I never need residential care..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 6:08 pm

I'm 54 in 9 days. Except for some fluid on my knee sometimes, I think I'm pretty healthy. Could stand to lose a few pounds!

It's a good thing we have computers now. I don't have to make the trip in the rain to socialize with someone any more. That's always been the hassle with socializing: the trip to and fro! As well as the usual irritations which people with autism go through.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 6:16 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I'm 54 in 9 days. Could stand to lose a few pounds!

as could most of us. I wish you a happy birthday in advance :mrgreen: I've been to 54 land and can tell you that it isn't that much worse than 53. :skull:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 6:34 pm

Thank you, Sir!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 6:36 pm

But what does "Borderline" mean, anyway? I always thought it was a transitional state between neurosis and psychosis.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 6:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
But what does "Borderline" mean, anyway? I always thought it was a transitional state between neurosis and psychosis.

in a nutshell-
Borderline personality disorder is a cluster-B personality disorder, the essential feature of which is a pattern of marked impulsivity and instability of affects, interpersonal relationships and self image. The pattern is present by early adulthood and occurs across a variety of situations and contexts.

in another smaller nutshell-
an indeterminate psychological condition commonly featuring aggression, impulsive behavior, emotional instability, suspicion of others, and unexpected mood swings.

in addition, there is borderline axis I and II-
* Axis I: major mental disorders, developmental disorders and learning disabilities. Axis I disorders are predominantly mood disorders.
* Axis II: underlying pervasive or personality conditions, as well as mental retardation. Axis II disorders are personality disorders.

other than this, I will leave the fine particulars to people more knowledgeable, to better describe.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 8:16 pm

It would be interesting to find out the history/etymology of the term "borderline."

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
It would be interesting to find out the history/etymology of the term "borderline."

borderline (n.)1869, "strip of land along a frontier," from border (n.) + line (n.). As an adjective meaning "verging on" it is attested from 1907, originally in medical jargon.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 2:14 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

There is often a history of severe abuse in early childhood, more often than not; the same thing is found in Dissociative Identity Disorder. And I mean severe - it's usually pretty high on the scale of repeated severe abuse by an adult who should have been trustworthy. All abuse is severe by definition, but these people have usually experienced a lot of really tough stuff at an age that they were too young to process it, and become stuck in emotional patterns of that age group they were in at the time, which interferes with the development of maturity and adult decision making, impulse control and emotional control.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

25 Dec 2014, 5:44 am

I got stuck with the BPD diagnosis after I disclosed the range of "unpleasant childhood 'experiences'" I was subjected to - sorry, I've read that back and I don't think I could sound more British if I tried! The counsellor/therapist/psychiatrists stopped looking at anything else and focussed on the awful stuff but didn't then take into account the previous 10 years of being an outsider and misfit. I was very much who I was well before the abuse and in some ways all it served to do was to lead me, naively through the gates of hell in search of friendship. Given my lack of social awareness, they had the 'perfect target' as nobody took any notice of me by that point, and who was I going to tell? To focus on a specific part of my life and have that be attributed as the cause of all my issues was sloppy and incorrect; I'm lucky I hung on in there to be honest as I was able to find a psychotherapist who started at the beginning and then was able to put the other stuff into context in relation to the ASC. I know there was an element of PTSD involved in my earlier years, but as I had such difficulty in everyday situations, the extraordinary simply didn't compute in the same way as if I had had a more traditional mindset and upbringing. It was a long time ago, and maybe they simply didn't know enough about autism at that point? (Am I being British again?) But what they served to do was to deny my lived experiences as an Aspie and reduce them to the upshot of being a victim. I can see how in a certain light, I could have resembled the Borderline archetype, but and that is the key word, BUT there was so much more beside that they just didn't bother with in the race to push me into a specific box and give me the 'right' medication.

I hate to think that this is still the case, but I am realistic enough to be certain that it does. I worry about others our age who have found their true way of being later on in life and the damage the years of misdiagnosis, mistreatment and uncertainty may have caused. I think this is one of my reasons for asking others about their experiences and the current manifestations. I'm as fine as I will ever be I guess, I have everything I dreamed of having and so much more beside with a whole lot more thrown in! I am lucky. I know I am. I will always sweat the small stuff, as that is where my particular demons hide :)

One of my most treasured possessions is a little Lego man, given to me by my life partner. She said, "I saw this little warrior and thought of you, my Aspie warrior!" He sits on my computer in work to remind me that bravery isn't always about strapping on armour and charging into battle, often it is simply getting out of bed and facing the assault on the senses again.

Seasons greetings to my fellow warriors, long may we fight the fight together. :heart:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 4:08 pm

I hear you. Your experience was certainly not an isolated one. I think the dangers for spectrum people, particularly women, from the psychiatric model, are huge. They were dreadful in the time of your experience, far worse than now, because sexism didn't attract the disapproval it does now (though it hasn't gone away). The outer appearance of psychiatry has had some cosmetic surgery but its ugly underbelly of misdiagnosis, professional arrogance, scientism and power over people remain. Plus there is widespread financial corruption now, drug companies pay a bonus per each prescription in the US to practitioners and hospitals. (New Zealand also allows this, it's disgusting).

I am so glad you found a competent psychotherapist.

There are still these old dangers, extra dangers for ASD people who choose the psychiatry route for their issues. The blind faith of some people that psychiatric diagnosis and medication is "the answer", and the only answer, keeps me awake at night...

Thank you for sharing your compelling example. I hope others will heed its message in their personal quest for healing.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2014, 9:30 pm

OP, Just wanted to basically agree/repeat what you said, as well as what B19 said, and to add that I find it helps my mind's well-being to read outloud to people. Otherwise, to clarify: I do not talk to people, am fairly isolated (purposely ) in real life and have been for quite a while. But I have noticed a pattern over the years that reading outloud helps in that it seems to supply some sort of socialization without the huge anxiety that usually would accompany an attempt at what one might describe as normal socializing.
So, I don't know if it would help anyone else, but thought I'd add that to your thread.
And, thanks for saying the positive words; reading them helps remind me I am not the only one going through this.

Davvo7
Toucan
Toucan

26 Dec 2014, 9:00 am

Thanks B19 and Alpineglow. Sorry about the delays, but time differences and the social obligations of the season sometimes entail longer gaps between posts than I would like.

I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding the psychiatric business, a lot of snake-oil sales people still cashing in on peoples troubles and distress I'm afraid. The psychotherapist I eventually found was actually on the spectrum herself so that was a real boon.

Alpineglow, I think you have found an excellent way to negotiate a form of contact that suits you and in actual fact has given me food for thought. I will mention this when I am back in the New Year as I think some of the people we support may find the reading idea a great way to connect to others. We have been looking at ways our Resource Centres could build links to the local communities and I'm sure this would be a great way to achieve that with some of our senior citizens or people with mobility issues who cannot get out as often as they once did. I would also potentially help with raising self esteem for our readers. Thank you for the suggestion, very much appreciated.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2015, 10:58 am

My mother, who was also on the spectrum, lived in dread of being confined to a hospital or other institution where she couldn't control the visiting hours. She finally found a hospice that let her have her privacy, and a doctor who was liberal with the painkillers for a quick exit. She'd been into legalizing euthanasia for years, but never assembled a kit herself.

I can barely get enough sleep dealing with people for a few hours per week. Most health care workers would drive me crazy, and I'd have to be heavily sedated to eat anything in a non-vegetarian building. I'll need to get in-home care or none.