Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

muppetsruletheearth
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jan 2015, 9:26 pm

Anyone else hate it?

My problem - I can clean clean clean something specific, but not see or ignore piles of other mess
I'm clean myself, no worries about funky onion breath or Professor Snape hair...
Can you share funny or worrying stories? Good for a laugh at ourselves...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2015, 10:03 am

I can't stand those "spring cleaning" expeditions. It's like going on a journey to nowhere.

Many West Indians have this custom, at Christmas, of "putting away the house." It involves a floor-to-ceiling cleaning of all the house. Plus painting the whole house and putting new curtains on windows. I hate curtains myself; I like Venetian blinds myself.

I'm not a great cleaner--but my wife thinks she is. I accept what she does, even if it's not quite clean.

I always clean up after myself, though. And I do some cleaning occasionally.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2015, 2:01 pm

When I clean, I like to be able to see a difference, but some days, I don't care that the cobwebs are gone. Sometimes, cleaning is a good way to burn off anger. Organizing is the other half of cleaning, and that is more baffling to me. If something is put away, I then have to guess if it was filed by shape, material, color, or function, whereas the piles at least have a clear chronology.

LeLetch
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Jan 2015, 4:24 am

I used to very much dislike cleaning, as i dislike, you know, other mundane tasks.

I ended up being what amounted to an unpaid maid when i had roommates, out of necessity.

I got addicted to it, like a specialization.

I am a fanatic supporter of sunlight dishsoap. Theoretically, it is the only cleaning substance you require in your house (opinion).

After cleaning up after 4 slobs for so long (due to a strange life-path twist of fate) i now have a near OCD levels of cleaning obsessiveness.

As far as i can tell, it's just the autism acting up again. If i do something specific for long enough i end up addicted to it. Doesn't seem to matter what it is.

I think it's worth the time investment. I never used to think so. Odd.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 5:17 am

I hate cleaning, but I also hate it when things are a mess, and I hate it when other people clean up my stuff for me. If it's my stuff, I want the only person who deals with it to be myself.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2015, 2:17 pm

My place tends to be either extremely clean/tidy or extremely dirty/messy. I have OCD and I hate cleaning. If I cannot keep the place perfectly clean/tidy (when I lose the motivation for some reason), I don't feel there's any point in cleaning/tidying up and my place turns into a disgusting mess. My current place has been in the latter state for quite a while. I haven't vacuumed the place for 5 years. You can hardly see the carpet because rubbish is covering most of it.

I can't have visitors because it's very embarrassing to let them see the mess that I live in. However, I also cannot have visitors when my place is clean because visitors are not clean enough to step on my carpet.

I do keep the kitchen clean because I freak out when I see cockroaches/mold/rotten food. I also keep myself clean.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 4:48 pm

I hate to clean as well. Weirdly enough I never used to be that way. I used to always be tidying up and organizing and reorganizing my stuff but now, I hate cleaning and hate the fact that it takes away the already precious time I have from doing other things that I REALLY want to be doing. Grown-up life sucks!

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 2:22 am

I've grown 6-7cm long hair, so I can play with it, to stim. I comb sometimes, but it only takes half of a conversation with a stranger for me to have curled some devil's horns out of my hair.

SilverAmazon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Nov 2015, 4:14 am

I am about to employ a housekeeper - I just can't clean. I don't understand where to put things away. I keep myself clean, but the house is so bad most of the time anyone knocking the door leaves me shaking with anxiety

I am lucky that I function well enough in other areas to be able to afford a housekeeper

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 5:08 am

I'm not the cleanest person around, but I try to keep the common areas of the house clean. What hacks me off is I get tired of cleaning up after the jerk in the den. I caught all sorts of hell from the landlord last week because this guy refuses to clean up the kitchen/living room/bathroom after himself.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 6:43 am

I am not great at cleaning. I am so incredibly tired of being a housewife. I want to get a job, and then I'm bloody well going to pay someone to clean! It destroys my mind, it does!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 6:48 am

Cleaning one's own space/home is, for me, just a necessary evil. I don't love to clean but I also can't stand living in my mess when I've let things go.

I used to be more regular and on top of cleaning my own place than I am these days. I've suffered a massive collapse of executive functioning (due to a stressful series of events) and I'm not quite the same person I used to be in multiple ways, and unfortunately being neat, tidy and clean with my living space is one of the victims.

I do try to catch up but the process itself is only enjoyable to the extent that I'm looking forward to how nice things will be again once I'm done with that cleaning task. But I have to drag myself into doing it.

I clean for a living but that's a different experience: someone's paying me to show up, get it done, then walk away, and it's easy to just get down to business, at least there's a monetary reward. Nobody's paying me to clean my own cave when I get home.

Rockymtchris
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Nov 2015, 6:55 am

I don't do any household cleaning chores until I'm nagged into it and then I'll do only enough to shut my spouse up. For some reason I simply don't see any reasoning behind it outside of dishes and clothes which I routinely will do for sanitary reasons. I don't give a flying f**k about things like windows and dusting, and I feel life is way too short to worry about "putting stuff away". After all in my case, if it's out of sight, then it's out of mind. I've actually gone out and bought things before after forgetting I already had the item at home.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 7:13 am

The only reason I "give a fck" about having my place clean and "putting things away" is because when it actually is clean and organized, I experience a significant improvement in my ability to think clearly and feel more stable and relaxed.

That sounds very odd, and I myself have never figured it out. But I really do feel like my head is clearer when my surroundings are orderly instead of chaotic, and when things are put into places that I know I've designated and is where to find them -- somehow the awareness of that makes me feel much more in control of this much of my general world, my environment.

Other things in my life are things I can't control that much, and if I can exert some stability and control over at least my home environment, in the form of keeping things orderly, I really do feel better mentally and emotionally. It's a good feeling for me and I feel happier than when I've let my place become chaotic. I get very affected negatively by chaos.

If you don't, that's fine, but some people do. I don't really give a fck about cleaning either but I have found over and over that I seem to function better mentally and emotionally if my place is in order. That's just my discovery about myself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:32 am

It's definitely better when things are organized.

I find it useful not to have too many "things"---but, alas, that cannot be avoided sometimes.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 11:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I can't stand those "spring cleaning" expeditions. It's like going on a journey to nowhere.

Many West Indians have this custom, at Christmas, of "putting away the house." It involves a floor-to-ceiling cleaning of all the house. Plus painting the whole house and putting new curtains on windows. I hate curtains myself; I like Venetian blinds myself.

I'm not a great cleaner--but my wife thinks she is. I accept what she does, even if it's not quite clean.

I always clean up after myself, though. And I do some cleaning occasionally.

Dispite the stereotypes I have encountered this most often from male bosses in office settings. When this happens that person is on a mission with religious zeal. All work and activities MUST be stopped and the person will be constantly on top of you until the project in completed. One or more long term items of mine will be lost permently, and the sudden interruption means that days of work will need to be recreated

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman