Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

Last Friday, the toilet got clogged. After trying a plunger and an auger, the toilet overflowed a few times. Then I thought, Hey, I have lye crystals. Let's try pouring those down the toilet! And so I did, and the toilet overflowed a few more times. Then I bought a wet vac, because the water in the toilet was not draining at all, and decreased the amount of water in the toilet several times. I also tried pouring in a lye-water solution I had made in a high-pressure spray bottle previously, because I was trying to blind myself in my right eye. Nothing helped. Then I used the wet vac to drain most of the water in the bowl so I could plunger it. It didn't really do anything except cause sizzling noises--apparently, the remaining lye crystals in the bowl mixed with the water finally creating a new lye-water solution in the toilet bowl. I could only see the cloud in the water; I could no longer see the lye crystals.

The other drains in the house work just fine; it's just the blasted toilet!

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2015, 10:32 pm

Now the auger doesn't work, and I'm feeling a no. 2 coming on!

Too bad it couldn't come earlier, cause it's gonna get cold tonight.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 12:46 am

Why is this in the LGBT section?

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 6:50 am

Moved from LGBT discussion.

slenkar
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 10:42 am

I dont know if this will work for you,
but I got a wire coat hanger and unwound it.

So I have this long wire, then I bent the end so it is hooked.

Then I shoved it as far into the bowl as possible. It came back with a piece of toilet paper about 3 times, then the toilet was unclogged.

I dont know the chances of that working for you.

The other thing to try is to unbolt the toilet from the floor, but you would have to totally drain the bowl and tank first.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

when my toilet stopped working, I had to go outside like an animal for several months until I could get somebody to fix it for me. :oops: Image

Iamaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2015, 7:08 pm

You could always get a 5 gallon bucket, some construction site (or contractor) heavy duty (or dooty if you prefer) garbage bags, and see if the camping section of a general store has a lid that's designed for the 5 gallon buckets. Having a form of toilet is better than having no toilet at all, but I do hope you can get it fixed somehow (although it sounds like you've done everything you can think of). Hope things get better for you there.

Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 6:47 am

You're not stupid, but you probably should've calmed down before you made a bunch of quick decisions and possibly caused water damage. Water getting in drywall can be very serious, mold can ruin your walls faster than anything.

If it's that serious just buy a snake, every hardware store chain sells them and every employee will know what you need.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 7:09 am

886 wrote:
You're not stupid, but you probably should've calmed down before you made a bunch of quick decisions and possibly caused water damage. Water getting in drywall can be very serious, mold can ruin your walls faster than anything.

If it's that serious just buy a snake, every hardware store chain sells them and every employee will know what you need.

Actually, an auger (a.k.a. a snake) was the first thing I tried.

EDIT: And let me just say: Augers are pretty frustrating things to use. And yes I used a toilet auger, the one where the snake goes through that plastic thing that keeps the toilet from being damaged by the metal.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 8:13 am

Well, I went to Home Depot and the guy helped me out with my auger. I've confirmed it still works. I'll try it again sometime today.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2015, 9:17 am

Iamaparakeet wrote:
You could always get a 5 gallon bucket, some construction site (or contractor) heavy duty (or dooty if you prefer) garbage bags, and see if the camping section of a general store has a lid that's designed for the 5 gallon buckets. Having a form of toilet is better than having no toilet at all, but I do hope you can get it fixed somehow (although it sounds like you've done everything you can think of). Hope things get better for you there.

I'm able to get back use of the toilet via the use of a wet vac. I fill the wet vac a little bit of the way with soap water, and suck the liquid out of the toilet.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 5:40 am

beneficii wrote:
I also tried pouring in a lye-water solution I had made in a high-pressure spray bottle previously, because I was trying to blind myself in my right eye.

You were trying to do what?

An old solution of lye in water is ineffective for clearing blockages in pipes, indeed putting hydroxide salts into toilets can dissolve the seal on the bottom of the pan and result in contaminated water leaking everywhere.

Have you been able to find where the blockage is with the auger?