Page 33 of 38 [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 38  Next

SandraB1436
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Apr 2015, 7:53 am

Thanks, Jensen (:

jb2325
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2015, 4:47 am

What is your first name?
er. um. nope. I don't even have a facebook account, not comfortable with sharing this.

Current perseverations:
science(chemistry, physics) electricity(very high and low voltages), computers, routers, 3d printing, most tech, etc.

When did you discover AS?
About 4 years ago, when I was diagnosed in aftercare

Do you have other psych diagnoses?
Since I was 14: ADHD, Depression, anxiety,

Do you have a degree?
Graphic Design - I knew it wasn't for me as soon as I started it, but I'm stubborn. :/

Kids?
That would require a relationship, so no.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol:
Most music that isn't pop or rap.

Job?
Computer tech.

Relationship with significant other, past or present?
None

Plans for the future?
???

Anything else you feel is pertinent:

I am very bad at communicating with people... and when someone shows an interest in me in RL, I usually avoid them.
I am also a bit of a chameleon. I have memorized responses to several non-logical questions, and have an understanding of metaphor, at least in the poetic sense.

Tinydog
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Apr 2015, 4:12 pm

Well, hello there. First foray into a forum of this type. I didn't think I'd be so nervous about it! Ah well, usually means I've made the right choice. ;)

What is your first name? You can call me Tinydog here.

Current perseverations: Tend to run toward the social sciences and the artistic.

When did you discover AS? In college, didn't make the personal connection until around 2013 though.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? I do, and in fact I think my depression, anxiety, and sundry other symptoms are all a result of ptsd, largely from growing up undiagnosed and the attendant bullying.

Do you have a degree? Two in fact, one of which is a Masters.

Kids? No, and do not plan to.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: My musical interests are varied.

Job? Currently employed part time, but studying to become a phlebotomist.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? This would take a novel. But yes, many relationships in my life, romantic and otherwise, various degrees of success with them... take that, haters!

Plans for the future? That's complicated.

I'm here because I feel like it's time to get some proper support about this aspect of my self/life. Finding out I have Aspergers (did not go for official diagnose and my current feeling is that would be more harm than good, though that question is one of the things I hope to get a handle on in participating here) was both an amazing lift of a lifelong burden and also a new thing to be afraid of. I find myself struggling with how to be out, and when, and with who, and how much, and what this is going to mean for me going forward, and just... it's been a little overwhelming in that regard, even though it was such a relief as well. I'm very afraid to make any mistakes but I also realize I won't learn anything if I don't give myself the freedom to do exactly that. My hope is that this will be a safe place to talk about my experiences and learn from others', to give and receive support, and to maybe get a little perspective and hope.

domanite
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2015, 12:37 pm

What is your first name?

Bruce

Ohio

Current perseverations:

Reading these forums. Reading in general, really.

For probably the past 10 years or so, I've known I'm probably on the spectrum. I didn't really start looking into it, though, until my oldest child was diagnosed a few years ago.

I was diagnosed with depression before autism was "a thing". I take medication for it and it definitely helps even out the lows.

Do you have a degree?

No, I couldn't quite hack it, for reasons that in retrospect are definitely AS-related. Being in Army ROTC (for the $$$) probably also didn't help. :)

Kids?

Three - and they are awesome.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol:

Anything pop or rock from my childhood. I like non-verbal electronica when I'm working. (Listening to music where you can hear words but not understand them because of distortion or the music is the most frustrating/distracting thing in the world!)

What's the deal with NIN? I like them, but wasn't aware there was an AS connection.

Job?

Software Developer. Luckily extensive experience makes up for a lack of degree.

Relationship with significant other, past or present?

Married - happily, although there is always room for improvement.

Plans for the future?

Spend time with kids, pay off debt, get a hobby, do some travelling.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2015, 8:44 pm

lyzpg wrote:
What is your first name? Liz
Location: Somewhere on the caribbean, living the good life (some weekends anyways)
Current perseverations: sexual behaviour, motivation, expression; the human mind and how it works, why we do what we do; money making ideas; origami.
When did you discover AS? a couple of months ago. Diagnosis pending (due to lack of funding. Sucks to be poor :lol: )
Do you have other psych diagnoses? High levels of stress and anxiety (enough to cause mild cardiac issues)
Do you have a degree? BBA. Soon a MA in logistics and SCM, and next year another MA in Public Investment Management. I'm a freak like that 8) .
Kids? Nah.
Favorite music: depends on my mood. Can go anywhere from VSQ to EDM, with the occational pop hit here and there. I'm in love with Popera, but it makes me depressed hahah.
Job? Yes. Office work, dealing with people, managing events... complete hell.
Relationship with significant other, past or present? I... have had one? Sometime along my life? A couple non-significant mistakes with young guys not smart enough to 'get' me, and the real thing with a man that's now my best friend.
Plans for the future? Survive. Get diagnosed. Escape debt :skull:
Anything else you feel is pertinent: I'm extremely curious, probably too much for my age. Like why is this post 'dino' style? :P

Do you have a degree? BBA. Soon a MA in logistics and SCM, and next year another MA in Public Investment Management. I'm a freak like that 8) .

May I ask, what does BBA and SCM mean?

Does your next MA qualify you to manage national and or municipal pensions?
Is the Caribbean your region of origin?
:D

MissMichal
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2015, 2:16 pm

What is your first name? Summer

Current perseverations: Fiestaware, Franklin planners, buying a home, regulatory compliance and quality improvement in healthcare

When did you discover AS? My son was diagnosed when he was 3 and I was 21. I was diagnosed when I was 32.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? I've had several on the way to my AS diagnosis, but it's hard to tell which of those are valid.

Do you have a degree? Not yet--I became a mom first. Working on a BS is Health Informatics.

Kids? One

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: Not NIN.

Job? Government drone

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married

Plans for the future? Finish this &*$%#@! ! degree. Become financially independent enough to decide what my own work will look like while still helping people escape poverty. Build an off grid eco-palace an hour from anywhere. Having a library named after me.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: I'm a Catholic atheist. Ar an atheist Catholic. Or just someone who appreciates folklore, allegory, and shared context without believing it's literally true.

Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.
--Shel Silverstein

GeekChic
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2015, 7:57 am

What is your first name? Carla

Current perseverations: Mother living with me, getting through Master's degree, gardening, finishing basement.

When did you discover AS? Last year.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Um. Sensory sensitivity, but, Duh.

Do you have a degree? Yes. BFA in illustration and art history, working on MFA in illustration.

Kids? Two.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: REM, Gin Blossoms, Counting Crows

Job? College instructor

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Widowed

Plans for the future? Finish this &*$%#@! ! degree. Return to beloved routine and privacy/sanctity of household, grow food.
Anything else you feel is pertinent: I have little appreciation for magical thinking and superstition, which makes it hard to interface with others. I have sensory sensitivity.

Departure1
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Jun 2015, 12:55 pm

Current perseverations: Rebuilding/modifying cars; Writing music on & off (lyrics, drums, piano, synth, also love the cello); following Arsenal FC (FA CUP again! :D)

When did you discover AS? 3 months ago

Do you have other psych diagnoses? Bipolar; Clinical Depression

Do you have a degree? No. Beyond my ability.

Kids? No.

Favorite music? Led Zeppelin, Muse, Arcade Fire, Alter Bridge, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, Jack Johnson...

Job? Cleaning

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Married to the only woman I've known who can deal with me. lol

Plans for the future? Get a proper diagnosis.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: First post.

Marduk1965
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2015, 1:30 pm

What is your first name? Charles but I prefer Chuck

Current perseverations: Trying to find a doctor who knows what Autism is, World of Warcraft, Karaoke, mostly the first one though

When did you discover AS? Still working on that and have been working on that for a few years now.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? I was diagnosed as having Bipolar Disorder but we'll see if that is truly the case

Do you have a degree? A technical degree even though I never finished high school. My Navy paperwork (DD-214) says that I graduated high school so I showed them that doc at college.

Kids? Nope

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: Many different kinds but usually prefer more maniacal stuff like Mozart and Megadeth, sometimes Straus when I want to relax. If I feel adventurous I try to listen to other groups which is hard for me because it is new to me.

Job? I did IT and Restaurant management

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Currently married

Plans for the future? The present is currently too overwhelming for me to make plans also they may change anyway depending on the outcome of current events

Anything else you feel is pertinent: Plenty but don't know where to start and where to end.

KindleHeart
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jun 2015, 9:43 pm

First Name: L....
Current Perseverations: anime, learning, hopefully books again, analyzing people
Discover AS: 7yrs old, high functioning autism (but met classic autism criteria)
Other Diagnoses: sensory integration disorder, depression, mixed receptive-expressive language disorder
Degree: BA in behavioral science with focus in psychology, criminal justice minor
Kids: fur babies (dog and kitten)
Favorite Music: pop, country, rock, celtic
Job: tutor, waiting on application process for special education paraprofessional
Relationship: eventually
Future Plans: grad school, police consultant on community relations and crime prevention
Other: lived independently for 3yrs (currently have roommate to cover rent)

BlazeJester
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jun 2015, 9:59 pm

First Name: Megan

Current Perseverations: Aspergers,

Discover AS: 2014; self-diagnosed March 2015, fruitlessly TRYING to find a professional for counseling/dx

Other Diagnoses: executive function disorder

Degree: BS Chemistry, MS Environmental Sciences (Organic Chem focus)

Kids: not human - 6 cats, 2 dogs, 7 ducks, 7 chickens.

Favorite Music: outlaw country, Disturbed, Elton John, Billy Joel, Alabama, Dire Straits... everything but hip hop, rap and R&B, really. I love 40s/50s music my grandmother used to play.

Job: Chemical Plant Lab Technician

Relationship: Married, repeating the mistakes of my previous 5yr relationship, mirroring my parents' doomed relationship. Trying hard to do better this time. Currently working on MarriageBuilders materials.

Future Plans: Technical Analyst

Other: Have lived independently since 2010. I am terrible at living with everyone except my mother, who is probably also Asperger's. My friends have always been through school. I've been out for over two years now and have not met anyone to befriend. Struggling with being an extroverted Aspie and my husband being my only social outlet. I am drastically overeducated in my current environment and struggle to find anything to talk to plant operators about. Hoping to learn more about ASD and myself in these forums, and I might die of happiness if I find someone in my area.

Dandeelion
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jul 2015, 12:14 am

What is your first name? Tara which is a pseudonym until I decide how "out" I will be in the future.

Current perseverations: Obsessively reading non-fiction, particularly anything to do with psychology, art, science in general, or history. Photography. Politics. Social justice issues. Cleaning and organizing my house for my sanity. Working on research projects. Cats and a Star Trek fan. Been a fan the original series since childhood. Spock was the closest person in media to myself when growing up. I knew there were no such thing as Vulcans, but darned if I didn't seem to be one!

When did you discover AS? About 3 days ago on Monday.

Do you have other psych diagnoses? ADHD, anxiety

Do you have a degree? Yes. Paralegal Certificate, AAA in Photography, AAS in Advertising Design, AS in Social Sciences

Kids? Four. One grown, and three teens.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: There is not much in the way of music that I will not listen to, as long as the tune or the words are decent. Classical, rap, punk, new wave, jazz, blue grass, religious chants, medieval, filk, and everything in between, I can listen to it all.

Job? Research assistant in a psych lab and teaching assistant in fine arts.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Divorced almost 5 years ago, after a 15+ year marriage. Currently in a long term relationship of almost 2 years with an NT partner.

Plans for the future? Finish my undergrad psyc degree, then go on to get my PhD in some non-clinical psyc field, haven't decided which one yet. After which I hope to do research.

Anything else you feel is pertinent: Mostly just trying to figure out what all this means to me, and what, if anything I want to do with my diagnosis.

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Nov 2015, 3:55 pm

Hi, all! Yay, I'm a dino!

What is your first name?
Just call me Jo, it'll save us all a lot of embarassment. My name is unpronouncable to anyone outside of Scandinavia.

Current perseverations: ASD/AS (books, online articles, self tests, WP), Supernatural (the tv show), knitting.

I've known about it for years, but only discovered I might have it myself about a month ago. Not comfortable self-diagnosing yet.

No, but I haven't sought diagnoses either. I've had depression for a year (getting better), possibly avoidant personality disorder and some anxiety disorder.

Do you have a degree?
Yes, bachelor.

Kids? Yup, two of them.

Favorite music, other than NIN :lol: Don't really listen much to music these days (two kids = I like quiet when I can get it), but I had a massive obsession with Smashing Pumpkins in my teens. I tend to like smash hits like Bohemian Rhapsody, old rock, also classical music - Beethoven and Bach especially.

Job? Self employed.

Relationship with significant other, past or present? Happily married!

Plans for the future? Perhaps go for kid #3, otherwise - in my husband's words - "keep doing what we're doing"!

I'm here to read other people's experiences, ask questions and in general try to find out if this is where I belong or not. Right now, I think so. I sat down about a month ago and took the Autism Quotient test and when seeing the result my jaw dropped. I genuinly did NOT think I could be autistic. But after taking a bunch of tests, some of them twice, and reading about ASD in female adults, I felt a rush, joy, enlightenment and that the pieces fell in place. Now, after reading even more, I'm more ambivalent and so insecure as to whether I fit on the spectrum or not. If I am I am certainly very "high functioning". Will probably not go for a clinical diagnosis, as this would make it impossible for my husband to take out a life insurance on me. I haven't told anybody, but if I after some more research feel comfortable identifying myself as autistic/Asperger's, I will tell him, and my best friend. I have trouble showing affection for my husband so I need him to understand why, and together we might lay some plans for how I can let him know more often that I love him.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 9:41 am

Hi. Welcome to the RIGHT planet :D

Malus_Domestica
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Nov 2015, 3:29 pm

Jensen wrote:
Hi. Welcome to the RIGHT planet :D

Thank you! :D

I've already adressed a major issue about my personality in a thread elsewhere on WP, and gotten so many supportive replies and understood that this trait is pretty common in ASD, so I'm starting to feel at home here! :)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2015, 3:22 am

Malus_Domestica wrote:

What is your first name?[/i] Just call me Jo, it'll save us all a lot of embarassment. My name is unpronouncable to anyone outside of Scandinavia.

Now I´m curious. Í probably can pronounce it, because I´m danish :D
Mette