Page 2 of 9 [ 129 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 9:43 am

Fnord wrote:
If you're being bullied, report it in a PM to Alex, Booyakasha, and Kiprobalhato.

Boo may even thank you for making the report!

Otherwise, the unwritten rule of "Do Not Feed The Trolls" works wonders. When the bullies/trolls finally realize that they're not getting any responses to their infantile posts (except from Alex and the mods), they seem to either go away of their own accord, or they suddenly 'disappear' without warning.

Either way, it's Win/Win for the rest of us!

:D

lol yes :lol: I do that :)

And yes, people if you notice someone trolling, provoking or attempting to enticing a flame war report it! We can't oversee every thread.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 9:50 am

I don't regard it as "bullying" but I do often get called a "conspiracy theorist" and "arrogant" and "egotistical" and "alien" and "prophet" and "crazy" and "woo-ist" and various other such things (not necessarily on WP but I do sometimes get some of it here on occassion). Even had a guy with "Bishop" in his name tell me that I had a "pathetic" mind so I simply thanked him for showing his true colours and decided that his thread needed a "Why the subject of his thread-title is bullocks" video from You-Tube (that I added into the thread of course).

For the most, part, though, most of the participants of most of the threads I've been in have been more-or-less civilised, and interested in actual-discussions, rather than playing the war-game of ad-hominems.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 1:30 pm

Adamantium wrote:
jk1 wrote:
At the first sign of trouble (e.g. being very eager to disagree, making an unnecessary unkind comment, superior attitude etc), I stop responding. That's how I avoid unpleasant situations on WP. I also have a mental list of argumentative members that I keep away from.

This is wise. I saw that thread, rocket, and immediately thought the whole thing was set up as an opportunity for the bullying poster to bully people. I was sorry to see that you were sucked into that mess.

Your responses would be entirely reasonable in any other context, but when you are engaging someone like that, reason never accomplishes anything, because they really don't care about the content of the discussion. My sense is that such people engage in communication with the goal of attacking other people. To the degree that they provoke reaction, they feel successful. It's better just not to engage.

Your advice (as well as others in this thread) is sound.

In this particular case, I felt that the bully was wronging (and verbally abusing) others. And, it seemed wrong to just watch it continue. So, I felt obligated to respond. I've learned my lesson. Next time, I will simply notify the moderators.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 2:16 pm

Yes, I do get bullied here on WP from time to time, but I just ignore it so the bullies can not only feel bad about themselves, but to pick on someone else worth their time.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 9:25 pm

You should never give in to the Bully.

The Bully wants you to feel bad, because he feels bad.

The best thing to do is to just ignore said Bully.

You're a well-respected man, Rocket. I'm sure more people like you than you think in the "real world."

I wouldn't worry about some slimy Bully.

Oren
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 9:55 pm

Rocket123 wrote:
Well, this was a first. I was bullied on WP.

You are more than welcome to read the thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=286272 (even though it’s a bit long)

I got involved, because I felt the OP was being somewhat confrontational to members in the community who were offering advice. So, I tried to provide a reasonable suggestion (from my point of view, of course) on how to better interact with other human beings (by being humble and respectful). As that is how I was taught to be by my parents.

Then the OP began attacking me.
- He called me a “cold and callous dickhead” and said I have the “brain of an insect “
- He compared me the Nazi doctor, Dr. Mengele and suggested I was committing a war crime against members on WP
- He even physically threatened me, saying: “I’d punch you in the face if you were standing in front of me”

It brought back memories of when I was in middle school. Where I opened by big, dumb mouth (trying to be rational and logical) and all of a sudden, the bully was spewing his vengeance in my direction. Or another time, when a bully hit me 3 times (wham! wham! wham!). After the bully hit me (and I slunk down to the ground), an adult woman quickly intervened and saved me. Several people spoke up for me in the thread. They reminded me of that nice woman.

Anyhow, I am glad the thread is locked, because I was wondering how I should have responded. So, I decided to write this post instead.

Have you been bullied on WP? If so, how did you respond?

Years ago I joined and was having a good time until Shades of Me decided I was a ripe target for bullying in a thread that posted pictures. Just whimsical pictures. I solved it by quitting.

Later on I rejoined, but I never got too involved again.

It seems fairly common to me here.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 12:17 am

Yes I have been bullied on here before and I would unfortunately lash back and do insults. I also know someone on here provoked me too. I have also been bullied by a mod and I handled it by posting about it on other forums after she was demodded and doing a celebration party, before that I handled it by talking about it over and over obsessively, on forums and to people privately and that was how my account got deleted. Then after that that ex mod tried to provoke me to get me banned again but me and other members could see right through it so I wouldn't let myself respond to it even though it was very tempting.

Now it's been years since I have last been bullied here.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:33 am

If somebody wants to try to bully me....Make My Day! :wink:

Seriously, Rocket. You're a smart guy. The Bully is so below you that you could step on him like he's a gnat.

As for me, if somebody bullies me, I'll tell my Daddy on them! My Daddy can beat your Daddy, you bully!

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 27 May 2015, 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 8:37 am

Yes I was bullied on wp before

Catlover5
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 9:16 am

Hello Rocket,

I read that thread and I must say that guy is out of order. The comments he made not just to you but also the other users were very disgusting. You were giving all the answers you could give him and instead of showing some gratitude he was rude to you in return and had the nerve to get offended when you responded to him after he made those rude comments. He was 100% in the wrong and you were 100% in the right. For me it is very clear that he created that thread to bully other users. He didn't care who it was, he just wanted to be mean to someone, probably because he is a sad no-lifer who's so desperate for attention but isn't getting any in real life so he compensates for that by going on a forum and putting other people down to make himself feel better. He is a troll, and he deserves to be banned.

Also it's important you acknowledge that reporting bullies ≠ tattling. Tattling is when someone reports really trivial things not because they're upset by it but to cause trouble to make themselves feel better. You have every right to report him and not feel like you're tattling. If you report him it's more likely that the problem will be brought to the moderators' attention quicker and it'll get sorted out quicker. Think of it like this: bullies are like vampires, they thrive in darkness. Shed some light and they crumble away.

Hope this helps :D

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2015, 11:00 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If somebody wants to try to bully me....Make My Day! :wink:

Seriously, Rocket. You're a smart guy. The Bully is so below you that you could step on him like he's a gnat.

As for me, if somebody bullies me, I'll tell my Daddy on them! My Daddy can beat your Daddy, you bully!

Nice way of putting it. And I agree on the implication that it's good to try and keep things in perspective.
Not always easy to do! But a good goal.

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 4:34 am

I've been attacked here occasionally but I just put it down to random uncontrollable outbursts. Kinda like a raving lunatic in the street.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 5:43 am

Yes.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 6:42 am

Only by some illuminated christian who insulted every atheist on here.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 9:03 am

Fnord wrote:

How do you know that?

I don't even recall I ever 'bullied' her tho.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2015, 9:18 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Fnord wrote:
How do you know that?

[...]
Because she has thanked me many times for reporting bullies, spammers, and trolls.