Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2019, 9:47 am

Hello there I am trying to think how I feel about this and need some advice.

My partner has been offered by a former work colleague to work on a 5 year contract to do network infrastructure work for the Saudi government.

The contract while he has to have an interview he's been told is just a formality as he has the clout to just give him the job.

He has read the contract last night and the wage is almost 3 times what he is getting at his current role and he will be given accommodation for his 5 years.

The catch is that I could only come with if we are married and his former colleague told him that my life would face restrictions and even he would have restrictions but the pay would be good.

I don't feel like going and I know if my partner wants to go it would destroy us cause there's no way I could cope for 5 years without him been with me.

He's not decided but I fear he will purely base his decision on what I feel as he always does.

Does anyone here know or have family or friends who worked and lived in Saudi Arabia and what was life there like

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2019, 9:56 am

I don't know if some of the "rules" have been loosened yet.

But----five years ago---women in Saudi Arabia had to walk around with their head covered.

But....I know they recently acquired the "ability" to drive motor vehicles.

There might be different rules when it comes to foreign women.

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Sep 2019, 10:53 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't know if some of the "rules" have been loosened yet.

But----five years ago---women in Saudi Arabia had to walk around with their head covered.

But....I know they recently acquired the "ability" to drive motor vehicles.

There might be different rules when it comes to foreign women.

My partner was told that we would need to marry as even us two been in bed together would be illegal.

He was also told I would need to wear a veil in public and be expected to keep quiet so already even if the money is great and is all tax free with most expenses paid for even him having epilepsy is not an issue I not even sure we want to do this.

Differentialform
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2019, 12:43 pm

If you have some time, reading this wikipedia article might be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia

aspieprincess123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2019, 9:54 am

Differentialform wrote:
If you have some time, reading this wikipedia article might be helpful: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women%27s_rights_in_Saudi_Arabia

Yer thanks.

My partner decided not to go as he felt life there would be too restrictive for him and more so for me.

The money will be missed as it was easily almost 3 times what he gets now plus it will be tax free so even better. Again he knew that we would have to marry and I would be almost a prisoner