I live on my own 72%  72%  [ 147 ]
I dont live on my own 28%  28%  [ 58 ]
Total votes : 205

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 5:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
I live with my husband and child. I have been out of my parents home since I was almost 20. Then my ex lived with me and then I was on my own again and then I lived with my last ex and then with my aunt and uncle and then my husband.

Back living with my parents again. We all live under the same roof and pay the bills together. We still live our own separate lives. Parents help us out with our child.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

theglenster
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2013, 5:40 am

ive lived alone my whole adult life, 17 years, i find the thought of someone else in my space terrifying! my flat is my sanctuary from the world where i feel safe and everything is just as i want it. oh and i love getting up on the weekends and sitting around in my underpants untill lunch time :)

MasterSynaps
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 1:43 am

I've lived on my own out in the forest for about 16 years.
My nearest neighbour is 2 KM away, which is about right.
I have relationship with a wonderful women who lives in town. Shes a unit manager Psych Nurse. We see each other 1 night a week and go on Holidays together.
This works well for me. I think She would like more but there are issues other than aspergers.
I'm 57 and life is good in my own little world.

FIVEWSWHOWHATETC
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2013, 1:21 pm

Thank-you for keeping this discussion thread going!

The key example of the Autism Spectrum is that dichotomy between strengths (strong abilities to handle technical tasks), and weakness in (sometimes daunting) face-to-face experiences with neurotypical people (NTs).

For example, Asperger adults can boost their advantage (and independence) in the NT world by enlisting advisors/advocates to be present during the process of negotiating, and purchasing "big-ticket" items such as automobiles, and even assistance in handling property transactions.

The key question here is: How, and where can such trustworthy people be found in one's own community? Any model programs recommending people (on a volunteer basis) to assist as advocates/advisors? Are many services affordable to most Asperger adults? Are such advocates/advisors becoming increasingly active on......WrongPlanet.net?

FIVEWSWHOWHATETC

17 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

The discusion "What if Self-Advocacy Alone is Not Enough?" may be of interest. http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt223533.html

Let's boost the discussion thread 'How Many of You Live on Your Own?' -- as the topic of independent-living experiences of Asperger adults (who have the least restrictions to independence) receives too little emphasis.

Aspergers can be described as "a not disabled enough, yet not able enough never-never land of sorts!"

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Mar 2013, 4:16 pm

"Aspergers can be described as "a not disabled enough, yet not able enough never-never land of sorts!"

wow this sums it up for me,, I feel a bit disabled but not enough to accept it has a disbility but enough to not fit in the "normal" world..

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2013, 1:01 am

I'm 45 and have lived on my own and raised my 4 children as a single parent for the better part of the past 18 years. It has not been easy by any stretch of the imagination, especially considering that all 4 of my kids are also on the autism spectrum. I started as a meek, quiet person but had to learn to advocate for my children and speak up for what they've needed. We've never had much money and have truly struggled but I have to say that I find living on my own with the kids has been easier and less stressful than living with a partner. I would like to find a partner to spend my time with but it seems highly unlikely at this point.

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:36 pm

I prefer a situation where someone would visit fortnightly to make sure I'm OK. It would give an opportunity for some minor social support and to seek brief counseling about my situation.

My current place is not good, the landlord/manager is naive and doesn't acknowledge the problems with the drier (fire hazard), and violations of tenancy agreements by other tenants. Things are starting to improve but I'm in two minds about if I should stay here. I've lived in other places that are atrocious, and others that were wonderful. The good places commonly had understanding landlords that actually cared for the property and treated me with dignity, even if they were rarely seen. Also being an aspie the definition of a "good place" to live is different from an NT, the good places have been quieter, no noisy neighbours or barking dogs, respectful quiet fellow tenants, rules which are strictly enforced, and not too hot or cold. The expereinces have taught me to speak up a bit more for myself.

kittygirl0811

15 Apr 2013, 7:35 pm

I've been on my own for 10 years and I love it!

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2013, 10:51 pm

FIVEWSWHOWHATETC wrote:
For example, Asperger adults can boost their advantage (and independence) in the NT world by enlisting advisors/advocates to be present during the process of negotiating, and purchasing "big-ticket" items such as automobiles, and even assistance in handling property transactions.

Assistance handling property transactions would be...interesting, since most of the compensation structure of that business is set by regulations and customary practices. Sadly, it's very easy to get taken advantage of in this area.

WildTaltos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 5:42 pm

I voted liev on my own, but not sure how acurate it is. Physicaly I live on my own - haev my own house, proprty, garden, etc., no one els lievs with me - but most of my relativs liev very close by - my brothre is only 9 kms from me and my sister is only abuot an hour on bike. If I evre need financil or emotinal suport I could get hlp from them or any of my cuosins who also aer about the area and they wuold give it, so dosnt seem quite on my own...

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2013, 6:37 pm

I live with my wife and two children and elderly mom who suffers from Alzheimer's.

Keeping the house is a financial burden and my wife and I struggle with this a bit, but have kept the wolf from the door so far.
I do not feel very financially competent but neither of my parents were, either so there is a lot I never learned.

One thing I have learned: owning, maintaining and paying for a house helps to highlight any executive function problems you may have.

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2013, 11:43 pm

I am a single and I currently live alone in my own condo which I have owned for almost 3 and a half years. I also rely on public transportation to get to work, groceries,clothes, etc.

I also manage to pay my own bills, budget, and do my own chores on my own schedule.

The only roommate that I have in a stray cat that comes and goes as he pleases.

I had lived on my own before about 10 years ago but it was a bad fit all the way around not matter how you look at it. I was not ready since I did not have the skills that I have today.

oldsoul
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Apr 2013, 1:35 pm

I'm in my early 50s and had never lived alone in my life until 3 years ago after a sudden break-up. There is a lot I like about living alone except that I can't afford it. I endured the 9-5 thing for many years and just can't stand it any more; never could, actually. So I only work part-time and it's not enough. It would be enough to pay for half of everything.

Also, I'm not so good at getting everything taken care of and need another person to get things done.

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 3:00 pm

oldsoul wrote:
Also, I'm not so good at getting everything taken care of and need another person to get things done.

Me to. I've lived by myself for roughly the last 2.5 years. I have a hard time on my own taking care of things. I feel so overwhelmed sometimes at just doing basic tasks like laundry and the dishes. My apartment is a disaster. It takes weeks for me to take action on what I know I need to do.

BritAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Jun 2013, 2:29 pm

I live with my parents I would love to live on my own as soon as I have enough money.