I live on my own 72%  72%  [ 147 ]
I dont live on my own 28%  28%  [ 58 ]
Total votes : 205

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 8:10 am

DogOfJudah wrote:
I've lived independently for 7 years and havn't regretted a single second, took me a while to get my head around paying bills on time tho, because I couldn't organise an orgy in a sex dungeon.

Ha!

Tired of those late bills? Can't get your head around the chaotic mess that's piling up on your desk, your card table, the floors, the bed, the kitchen dining table, AND the kitchen sink?? (We won't talk about the bathroom. What's happening in the bathroom, stays in the bathroom.)

Introducing, New and Improved OCD!! Here's what our newest clients are saying to their psychologists:

"I find that my OCD makes bill paying a snap! I highly recommend that everyone purchase a little OCD to help take the edge off of their chaos."

"I struggled for years trying to make sense of it all - trying to conquer my own chaotic mess. OCD was the answer to my prayers."

"Wow! I never knew there was a counter top underneath all those dishes. Thanks, OCD!"

Call now, and you'll receive ABSOLUTELY FREE the Instant Clean-ALL-The-Things Addition Adult Add-on! It's GUARANTEED to put you into the right mindset just long enough to drive you bonkers! It even makes Julienne fries out of kids brains as well - perfectly safe (for a while) for the whole family!

Disclaimer: Some possible side effects include, but are not limited to, chiding by others, potential stigmatism with washing hands too frequently, Lining-Up-ALL-The-Things, over anal retentiveness, and inability to go to sleep (and possibly forgetting to eat) until the puzzle is finished. Offer to work all the time on paying bills not valid on days ending in 'Y'.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 5:27 am

I have lived on my own on and off since I have been 18.

Right now, there is a guy I live with. He stays at the main house and I live in the beach house on the same property. When I don't feel like being around people, I go up to the main house to grab food when he's asleep and that's it. He's been a good friend since I've been 14, so he knows I'm not up for talking or being around people all the time and he doesn't take it personally. He never comes down to the beach house (which is my place), thankfully.

It's more or less like seperate living basically, it's just that when one of us is up for company we can hang out if we feel like it. He doesn't ask me "how was your day" or anything because he knows I hate it. We actually get on pretty well now that I think about it. He's much easier to live with than anyone else, except for maybe one exception. I go up there sometimes to grab a book from the library or to use the phone but that's it really. Since I got my laptop I don't go up there much anymore, even less than I used to.

CSBurks
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2012, 8:03 am

I've lived on my own for 9 months now, but the crime is terrible here. Sirens go off constantly. I've had to call the police twice: once for a noise complaint, the other for some random guy begging for money at my apartment complex at 2am.

Plus I quit my job after a mental breakdown (I worked at walmart. ugh). So I won't be able to pay for the electricity in a few months. Luckily I prepaid my rent.

Outer_Darkness
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2012, 7:18 pm

Outer_Darkness wrote:
I've lived with relatives my entire life, but right now I'm temporarily by myself since my brother is overseas and my father is in the hospital.

Since this post my father passed away and my brother is still away so I'm by myself for the foreseeable future.

lease29
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Dec 2012, 7:07 am

I have lived on my own and with other people over the last 11 years. I moved out of home when I was 20 and started out living with a couple of people for just over 3 years. I then moved into my own flat and lived alone for 5 years from 2005 - 2010. Since 2010 lived on and off currently living on my own with my cat Jaz.

I am totally independent and am going to be flatting soon in a new flat with my brother. Moving out of my current flat in a couple of weeks. We get on fine as I don't particularly like living with other people. I am suited to living alone and even though it is better financially to live with other people as you can split costs I have managed my finances e.g bills and paying the rent on time and looked after the flats that I have lived in. Also the social side of living with other people you have to put up with all the issues that people have and most people like to have other people over so that did my head in. I'm sure my bro and me will get on :-)

GlensGirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Dec 2012, 3:32 pm

Im 50 and still live with my mother. I hate it. I have a crippling fear of the world. I want a job badly but fear that as well because Ive been bullied at every job Ive ever had. For the last 6 months Ive been training myself for office work (a cubicle would be right up my alley) and Ive been visiting sites like WrongPlanet to try to toughen myself up a little and get some confidence on the go. My mother has always told me that Im crazy and flawed and blah blah blah so you can imagine how finding out I am an Aspie was such a revelation to me. Aspergers is not a problem, the world is. The world is the problem. Im okay. Anyone here never find the courage to leave the nest??

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2012, 9:18 pm

Apart from a few months when i rented a room out to a friend, Ive lived on my own now since 1979

aspiebostonian
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Dec 2012, 10:21 pm

NicoleG wrote:
DogOfJudah wrote:
I've lived independently for 7 years and havn't regretted a single second, took me a while to get my head around paying bills on time tho, because I couldn't organise an orgy in a sex dungeon.

Ha!

Tired of those late bills? Can't get your head around the chaotic mess that's piling up on your desk, your card table, the floors, the bed, the kitchen dining table, AND the kitchen sink?? (We won't talk about the bathroom. What's happening in the bathroom, stays in the bathroom.)

Introducing, New and Improved OCD!! Here's what our newest clients are saying to their psychologists:

"I find that my OCD makes bill paying a snap! I highly recommend that everyone purchase a little OCD to help take the edge off of their chaos."

"I struggled for years trying to make sense of it all - trying to conquer my own chaotic mess. OCD was the answer to my prayers."

"Wow! I never knew there was a counter top underneath all those dishes. Thanks, OCD!"

Call now, and you'll receive ABSOLUTELY FREE the Instant Clean-ALL-The-Things Addition Adult Add-on! It's GUARANTEED to put you into the right mindset just long enough to drive you bonkers! It even makes Julienne fries out of kids brains as well - perfectly safe (for a while) for the whole family!

Disclaimer: Some possible side effects include, but are not limited to, chiding by others, potential stigmatism with washing hands too frequently, Lining-Up-ALL-The-Things, over anal retentiveness, and inability to go to sleep (and possibly forgetting to eat) until the puzzle is finished. Offer to work all the time on paying bills not valid on days ending in 'Y'.

It is possible to be organized and a little anal retentive without being OCD. As I get older, though, I just have less energy to clean and whatnot, but it does all get done.

exiled
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Jan 2013, 9:41 am

Before I was married I lived alone for quite some time. It was the worst.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jan 2013, 11:58 am

ive lived on my own most of my life,, better then the hell my mom made for me,, but now i have my son here who is also midly autistic,, but he has his live, i have mine and i have my cave(room) I can escape to if his tv gets to loud for me,, it works

seaweasel
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jan 2013, 8:18 pm

i live with my parents and i am still in college at age 22. I hope however to live on my own next year when i graduate college =D

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2013, 5:24 pm

I got a windfall of money in my 20's and bought some land. Later I built a small no plumbing house.

My youngest is a normal person, does not share DNA with me, she has friends and goes to college. She also sees to it that I have water and fuel oil.
I grow flowers and get visited almost daily, but go to bed and get up without anyone here.

Not to be morbid, but this is where I plan to stay when too old to live anymore.

Rivelin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Jan 2013, 6:11 pm

Moved out of my parents place when I went to university then spent about a decade house sharing with a person I knew at uni and some other people. Lived with different friend for the past couple of years. Would ideally like to live on my own but have never been in a good enough financial situation to make it a good idea.

Phaeton
Raven
Raven

02 Feb 2013, 2:09 pm

GlensGirl wrote:
because Ive been bullied at every job Ive ever had.

I have been bullied off jobs but go even crazier without structure so get another one immediately. Eventually found jobs easier on my psyche. Shipping and receiving, warehousing, cargo handler, these jobs require less interaction than many.

I had a friend go through eight jobs then give up, his little brother only tried once. When their father dies it will be very hard for them to adapt.

I am asking for you to not quit trying, there will be a job with wonderful people. It may take quite a few bad jobs to find the good one but it is out there.

I do not see much of my friend for the last twenty years, he does not get out and I do.
All things are relative, I only get out once a week or so anymore, but did go to work every day for eleven years at the good job I found.

novastar369
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Feb 2013, 7:45 pm

I've been living alone for the last 7 years and wouldn't have it any other way! I keep odd hours ie go to bed very early and get up very early which I know most people find odd. Plus I like things my way, to be able to leave my unit and know that things will be the same when I return. Throughout my late 20's and 30's I tried housesharing but it was alway frought with tension and often ended badly. I'm not very sociable so feeling forced to interact was awkward. I just didn't feel I could be myself and do what I wanted very often.

The only downside is that it's cheaper to share and sometimes I wish I could afford to live somewhere a bit nicer but it's worth it for my privacy and sanity. I spend a lot of time at home so it's vital I feel comfortable here.

I would live with a partner but they'd have to understand my need for space and ideally not do much to annoy me.lol I've made the fatal flaw of moving in with partners and having the relationship disintegrate because I couldn't cope with them being around too much/me being unable to change my habits.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 5:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
I live with my husband and child. I have been out of my parents home since I was almost 20. Then my ex lived with me and then I was on my own again and then I lived with my last ex and then with my aunt and uncle and then my husband.

Back living with my parents again. We all live under the same roof and pay the bills together. We still live our own separate lives. Parents help us out with our child.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.