Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

29 Jul 2013, 1:59 pm

Who here has used this or hasn't used them?
----
I am not among one of those who have used them, because I find a paper check outmoded and and absolute hassle to use. I've preferred dealing electronically; makes things more efficient and quicker.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2013, 6:48 pm

Hi:
I have been writing checks since I was 19 but I did not always know how to manage that either.

Due to the lack of caring to balance my check book, I wrote several NSFs (Non sufficient funds) or checks that bounce about 10 years ago. In fact, I lost one account. My roommates were really mad at me too.

Then when I moved in with a family member, she taught me how to write and manage them the correct way and now I have no trouble writing checks on the second account. I even bank rec. As for writing them, I normally use them for groceries or clothes. Sometimes I use them for other things like room shares for conventions.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2013, 10:54 pm

pay to the order of: $15.00
for the amount of: The Grocery Store
on the date of: July 30, 1942

I screw up about 1 in 4 checks. I was so anxious for the digital age where I could stop writing them.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 6:46 pm

I was working on this very issue this morning. Switched as many of my bills as possible to electronic. Paperwork, bills and check writing, all of it is a mess, a hassle, anxiety-ridden chore which get put off as long as possible. I try to err on the side of caution though, and keep aside some $ as emergency back-up.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 10:45 pm

equestriatola wrote:
Who here has used this or hasn't used them?

For some matters, I still write checks, others I concede to the efficiency of technology.

My benefits are paid to me electronically, direct deposit.
My electricity is deducted virtually, but that's fine because it's usually about the same amount each month.

I do have to write a check to pay rent to landlord & mail it with stamp-have no choice about that.
I continue to pay my phone/internet bill by check because I don't trust the company,
and their rates vary widely according to limited promotional prices changing.

I do use my debit card (or go to an ATM for cash) rather than write checks at stores, though-it's way quicker.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:32 pm

I never wrote a check or had a checking account. Neither has my mother. When my grandmother was alive she never did either.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 3:47 pm

Checks will be a historical curiosity before we know it. I pay electronically whenever possible, but checks seem almost quaint anymore. :)

That said, if you're writing one out in front of me at the grocery store I will be mentally hurling daggers at you unless you are eighty. :lol:

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 4:58 pm

I rarely use them but it happens occasionally and it's a good thing to have around.

Like just yesterday my next door neighbor patched up a few weather-damage holes on my roof and I kicked him a check for $200, the work he did was not nearly $200 worth but it was basically as a courtesy and as an advance payment that will be removed from what I'll eventually owe him for some more extensive roof work in the future.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 5:13 pm

Withdrawal and transfer only. the paying in ones were never used as it appears they are a lost cause within the common market.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

03 Aug 2013, 6:44 pm

MjrMajorMajor wrote:
Checks will be a historical curiosity before we know it. I pay electronically whenever possible, but checks seem almost quaint anymore. :)

That said, if you're writing one out in front of me at the grocery store I will be mentally hurling daggers at you unless you are eighty. :lol:

Agreed; as I have said above, they are too much of a hassle.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Aug 2013, 7:37 pm

In the UK cheques are not guaranteed until 6 working days after they have been paid into the bank.

For this reason (and because almost all bank accounts come with a debit card) they are not used at all for retail transactions. The few times I write cheques I can check my balance before hand to make sure they will clear ok.

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 7:35 pm

I rather like cheques.

The more financial transactions which are done electronically with all sorts of companies, the more likely it is that a person's financial information can be hacked & stolen ; then used by dubious characters.

It can also increase the potential for financial loss through 'electronic errors'.

I use electronic transactions for stuff like Amazon purchases, Paypal or stuff bought through Xbox Live.
But for magazine subscription renewal or buying things from mail-order catalogues, I'll use cheques.

xmh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Aug 2013, 7:43 pm

Ladywoofwoof wrote:
The more financial transactions which are done electronically with all sorts of companies, the more likely it is that a person's financial information can be hacked & stolen ; then used by dubious characters.

In the UK cheques detail the bank account number, and sort code (detailing the bank branch the account is held with) of the customer. This is adequate to set up a direct debit (allowing companies to withdraw money from your account). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

Ladywoofwoof
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 8:05 pm

xmh wrote:
Ladywoofwoof wrote:

In the UK cheques detail the bank account number, and sort code (detailing the bank branch the account is held with) of the customer. This is adequate to set up a direct debit (allowing companies to withdraw money from your account). http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7174760.stm

Banks are supposed to ensure that the payer has authorised each Direct Debit transaction, before putting it through their system.
It sounds as though Barclays have not been bothering to do that. Tsk tsk. Shame on them.
:shameonyou:

Wikipedia wrote:
A direct debit or direct withdrawal is a financial transaction in which one person withdraws funds from another person's bank account.
Formally, the person who directly draws the funds ("the payee") instructs his or her bank to collect (i.e., debit) an amount directly from another's ("the payer's") bank account designated by the payer and pay those funds into a bank account designated by the payee.
Before the payer's banker will allow the transaction to take place, the payer must have advised the bank that he or she has authorized the payee to directly draw the funds. It is also called pre-authorized debit (PAD) or pre-authorized payment (PAP).
After the authorities are set up, the direct debit transactions are usually processed electronically. Direct debits are typically used for recurring payments, such as credit card and utility bills, where the payment amounts vary from one payment to another. However, when the authorisation is in place, the circumstances in which the funds are drawn as well as the dates and amounts are a matter of agreement between the payee and payer, of which the bankers are not concerned.
In countries where setting up authorization is easy enough, direct debits can also be used for irregular payments, such as for mail order transactions or at a point of sale.
The payer can cancel the authorization for a direct debit at any time, and the banker can decline to carry out a debit if the transaction would breach the terms of the bank account out of which payment is to be made, for example if it were to cause the account to overdraw. (Banking law does not authorize a bank to alter the payment amount.)