Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Numanoid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 May 2008, 12:30 pm

Hi all,
I'm a married 36 year man who is a high functioning sufferer of AS. After a lot of effort and trial and error, I managed to bootstrap myself from a maladjusted teen into a relatively normal adult. I have found that vigorous exercise and various supplements such as Omega 3 and magnesium have helped me immensely. However, I still experience AS symptoms such as persistent perseverations (I've has the same ones since high school) and occasional social awkwardness (although not nearly as bad as my younger years).
I've read extensively on the Internet about neurofeedback therapy and how it can provide permanent improvement for those on the autistic spectrum. Has anybody on the forum tried this therapy? I would like some first-hand opinions before I make the decision to invest the money necessary to try this approach.
Thanks in advance.

ja
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 May 2008, 1:38 pm

Numanoid

I heard about this on Bloomberg Radio two weeks ago.
There was a mother of eight (!), & four of her boys were adopted. The four adopted boys turned out to be ASD. Somewhere along the line she started them on an intense Neurofeedback program.

She says that none of the four display any autism spectrum disorder-like behavior.

In fact, if I remember right -- I think the mother has a one-woman play that you can go see. Let me try to find out more for you.

GOT IT
The play is called THING TO THING TO THING starring Lynette Louise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz5Ejtwost4

also, read http://dontknowhowyadoit.blogspot.com/2 ... aling.html

You can also go to YouTube & search "neurofeedback"

(You & I should compare notes. My 7yr-old was just diagnosed with ASD)

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2008, 5:23 pm

Was a total waste of several thousand dollars out-of-pocket. But that's just me.

Numanoid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2008, 10:02 pm

Thanks for the input. I didn't want to spend the money on some quackery unless I was sure. I think I'll try meditation or Yoga, they're both free.

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 May 2008, 10:13 pm

I have done biofeedback using the Healing Rhythms system:

http://www.wilddivine.com/healing-rhyth ... ak-chopra/

Some of it is helpful but I think, if you know how to meditate, you really won't get a whole lot from it.

TrueDave
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2008, 8:15 am

I tried BIOfeedback.

Wasnt expensive just a little kit from Radio Shack.

I was young and the novelty wore off. I agree that if you have the discipline for working out and such then you probably have the ability to do yoga or meditate.

Yoga can be fun and its a social thing in a relaxed setting.

Just becareful. My lady teacher sometimes forgot there was a man in the room and there were some things I couldnt do "safely"! LOL!

Jainaday
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2008, 3:39 am

I want to try biofeedback. ..

I thought Neurofeedback would be cool, but it ended up being really distrubing. . . I left feeling very not like myself. For this reason, only did one session.

kraken
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 May 2008, 8:35 pm

I used biofeedback briefly during my early teens after I spent a month home away from school due to crippling stress. It was very helpful in reducing stress and anxiety, though I still have plenty of other issues.