Which one of these people is doing more damage to our image?

Page 7 of 10 [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Which one of these is doing the most damage to our image?
1. Chris Chan 15%  15%  [ 11 ]
2. Simon Baron-Cohen 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
3. The blogging Autism Moms 44%  44%  [ 31 ]
4. Nobody 10%  10%  [ 7 ]
5. Somebody else entirely - tell me who, tell me, tell me, tell me. 23%  23%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 71

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jan 2015, 6:48 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Moromillias, I am professionally diagnosed, when I was well into middle age. Thats where I learned about Aspergers. I did quite a bit of research afterwards.

I am also certainly not willfully ignorant and actually not ignorant at all, simply because I refuse to jump on the hurt feelings, take everything personally and blow it all up out of proportion because it's all a secret Nazi eugenics program bandwagon.

Straw men like this.

No one is saying that there's a secret plan to euthenise AS people, that's nonsense. With the amount of stigma and ignorance we have attached to us, it would be very easy for parents to justify abortion, if it were available, or some sort of treatment for their kids to make them non-AS. In fact, there's already parents trying desperately to make their kids non-AS. Speaks is indeed a responsible party in spreading those stigmas.

Did your research include credible sources? Or just the internet? Because that would explain all of your misconceptions.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

26 Jan 2015, 7:41 pm

This is in response to Moromillas upon replying to another post.

Moromillas spoke of Autism/Asperger's not being a disease. That is my view as well. Moromillas spoke of the definition of disease as "relating to something unwelcome that inflicts injury upon you, and something that's not normally part of the person." So true in my opinion. I view my Asperger's as a part of me, not something that is separate.

Another member's post said that "No one wants to be Autistic." Moromillas disagrees with that statement, and so do I. If I were to be born again on this earth, I would want to be Autistic again. And my children have Autism (one professionally diagnosed like me, the other suspected). Hooray! I am extremely happy with my Autistic children. They are happy too. If they were to be born again on this earth, I would want them to be Autistic just as they are now.

After reading a debate between Moromillas and another member, I started thinking, "Is Moromillas someone I would want to talk to on here?" I didn't know. So I went into Moromillas's posts and began looking and found the comments on this thread. And I am thinking, "Yes, my thoughts exactly!! !"

I haven't read much else on this thread or other posts from Moromillas, but I wanted to express my gratitude for this member's thoughts on this sensitive topic.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 11:37 pm

Moromillas wrote:
aghogday wrote:
AND THAT'S just another conspiracy theory waiting to start.

Dude, or dudette, or whomever you are, I PAY NO ATTENTION TO CONSPIRACY THEORIES, including the silly one about Autism Speaks being a hate group against Autistic folks. And that's as silly as it gets considering that most of the folks who started AUTISM SPEAKS, are PARENTS OF AUTISTIC CHILDREN WHO ARE INCREDIBLY IN LOVE WITH THEIR CHILDREN.

COMMON sense could rule here, IT REALLY could.

BUT The FACT of the matter is according to the New England Journal of Medicine there is a minority demographic in the general population that is RIPE TO BELIEVE, IN almost any conspiracy theory that comes their way.

And YES, THIS most definitely includes SOME online so-called autistic folks, as has been proven over and over ad-nauseam here and almost everywhere else online, at LEAST in SOME cases.

To consider people speaking out against Speaks, a conspiracy, you have to ignore everything that Autism Speaks does, and has done, meaning that they're willfully ignorant. Then, straw man everything detractors say, meaning that they're dishonest.

Putting respectable authors like John Elder Robison in the same basket as Alex Jones, and even going as far as implying detractors aren't really AS, wow, that's just messed up. Because clearly, in your mind, anyone that doesn't like the bigotry of Speaks isn't a true AS person, hilarious.

That's right, it's a parents group, that love their kids so much they go to extreme lengths to exorcise the evil demon that is Autism. Oh, what such loving and caring bigots they are.

It is by definition a hate group, to call it anything else, you have to either A) Change the definition of "hate group". or B) Ignore all their ideas, their record, and their activities entirely.

Others have posted more than enough just here in this thread alone, on Autism Speaks, to show how abhorrent they are, to ignore all of it, you do have to be willfully ignorant.

Autism Speaks is NOT a hate group.

That is simply Ludicrous.

And that is NOT SOMETHING that JER has ever stated.

He has a logical head on his shoulders.

He does not agree with EVERYTHING THEY do and neither do I.

No surprise there as NOTHING IS PERFECT.

BUT ANYWAY, been on this Hamster Wheel with you before, and getting off now is no problem, now that I have my excellent health back again.

So have a great day, and hate Autism Speaks all you want, because to them truly this controversy does not exist, as they continue to expand their 'empire' further and further, per 10% increased financial support, as of the last Annual Statement I looked at, when I was even, overall, interested in this.

I have more important fish to fry, than conspiracies. :)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 11:43 pm

glider18 wrote:

Moromillas spoke of Autism/Asperger's not being a disease. That is my view as well. Moromillas spoke of the definition of disease as "relating to something unwelcome that inflicts injury upon you, and something that's not normally part of the person." So true in my opinion. I view my Asperger's as a part of me, not something that is separate.

Another member's post said that "No one wants to be Autistic." Moromillas disagrees with that statement, and so do I. If I were to be born again on this earth, I would want to be Autistic again. And my children have Autism (one professionally diagnosed like me, the other suspected). Hooray! I am extremely happy with my Autistic children. They are happy too. If they were to be born again on this earth, I would want them to be Autistic just as they are now.

After reading a debate between Moromillas and another member, I started thinking, "Is Moromillas someone I would want to talk to on here?" I didn't know. So I went into Moromillas's posts and began looking and found the comments on this thread. And I am thinking, "Yes, my thoughts exactly!! !"

I haven't read much else on this thread or other posts from Moromillas, but I wanted to express my gratitude for this member's thoughts on this sensitive topic.

Fragile X syndrome is A direct cause of Autism and a genetic disease attributed to 5% of all cases of Autism, which is about half of all cases of previously diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome in the United States, per CDC measured percentages.

In middle age these folks typically lose their cognitive function.

Autism speaks continues to fund research to help these folks.

They are not as lucky as you or I.

But thank goodness organizations like Autism Speaks and many more KIND DONATORS give a crap about their human suffering.

And Fragile X syndrome is far from the only direct cause of Autism that is IN FACT DISEASE.

ALL of this simply makes SOME of the people here look like they have no human empathy, particularly, when these facts are brought to the forefront and totally ignored.

As I have done time and time again.

The whole thing disgusts me, and I do not want the taste of it, anymore.

So you too, please have a nice day, as I for one am out of this trap, on this part of this Internet site.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2015, 11:57 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
You can dislike the autism without disliking autistics.

When all the word is from neurotypical people complaining about their own suffering and there are no autistics complaining about their suffering being represented, I find that extremely hard to believe. It's like saying "Oh, I don't hate black people, I just hate how their skin is black, but underneath their black skin they are the same as a white person! I also dislike their culture and...but don't hate black people!"

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:00 am

aghogday wrote:
glider18 wrote:

Fragile X syndrome is A direct cause of Autism and a genetic disease attributed to 5% of all cases of Autism, which is about half of all cases of previously diagnosed Asperger's Syndrome in the United States, per CDC measured percentages.

But thank goodness organizations like Autism Speaks and many more KIND DONATORS give a crap about their human suffering.

And Fragile X syndrome is far from the only direct cause of Autism that is IN FACT DISEASE.

Autism is not Fragile-X, just as having slanted eyes isn't Down Syndrome. Fragile X generally preclude Aspergers anyway due to cognitive impairment.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:44 am

Ganondox wrote:
aghogday wrote:
glider18 wrote:

Autism is not Fragile-X, just as having slanted eyes isn't Down Syndrome. Fragile X generally preclude Aspergers anyway due to cognitive impairment.

I AM not suggesting that Fragile X-syndrome has anything to do with Asperger's syndrome; however, the percentages of total Autism Spectrum Disorders is half OF what Aspeger's IS according to CDC study.

Autism Spectrum Disorder as expressed in the DSM5 is only a list of behavior deficits associated with RRB's and reciprocal social communication impairments.

The causal factors are currently limitless, as no one has a handle on all of that.

However scientists do have a handle on Fragile X-syndrome, as the greatest current direct genetic disease factor directly causing the disorder of Autism.

IN THIS case the CURE FOR AUTISM IS THE CURE FOR Fragile X-syndrome, which I personally doubt will ever happen but never the less, treatments of remediation for symptoms specific to Fragile X-syndrome and Autism one and the same, are well under way for a better life for these folks thanks to the efforts of donations and research organizations that give a CRAP about REAL human suffering.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 1:43 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I think my ex boyfriend may have had been one. He believed the government could take your house if he wanted it and he just kicks you out without any warning and he thought they also hired someone to assassinate a person for them when the person knows something they don't want them to know so thus the reason why some people disappear and are never found. My mom thought he was a schizophrenic because he had lot of "strange" beliefs. One of my aspie friends had friends who are conspiracy theorists and they wear him out too when he has to listen to it.

I sometimes get a crazy idea about what if there are actually time machines and that was how Anne Frank's family was found because something must have happened that made them famous so someone thought they could change the history by giving an anonymous call and to this day no one still knows who mad that call. Someone told me "actually this has been expressed before" so I saw I wasn't the only one with this crazy idea lol. I don't really believe in my own idea so I won't argue over it like my ex would about his ideas. He hated when I would challenge his ideas and when I wouldn't agree so he would keep on arguing and not drop it.

The government can kick you out of your house and take it, I believe it is called imminent domain, if they claim to 'need' the land for something else. Though there would be warning, but he's not totally off track to believe that just seems a bit mis-informed about the process....Also though you think there never are assassinations like that? I imagine you don't typically hear about them but I'd think its more likely than not it occurs it could explain some disappearances especially in a nation where cops murder people. Though if your ex figured they where coming for him specifically just because for instance that would be leaning more towards delusional.

He thought our gov assissinated people and kept silent about it and he belived our gov owned his stuff because they could come and take it if they wanted to he said.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:02 am

aghogday wrote:
Ganondox wrote:
aghogday wrote:
glider18 wrote:

I AM not suggesting that Fragile X-syndrome has anything to do with Asperger's syndrome; however, the percentages of total Autism Spectrum Disorders is half OF what Aspeger's IS according to CDC study.

Autism Spectrum Disorder as expressed in the DSM5 is only a list of behavior deficits associated with RRB's and reciprocal social communication impairments.

The causal factors are currently limitless, as no one has a handle on all of that.

However scientists do have a handle on Fragile X-syndrome, as the greatest current direct genetic disease factor directly causing the disorder of Autism.

IN THIS case the CURE FOR AUTISM IS THE CURE FOR Fragile X-syndrome, which I personally doubt will ever happen but never the less, treatments of remediation for symptoms specific to Fragile X-syndrome and Autism one and the same, are well under way for a better life for these folks thanks to the efforts of donations and research organizations that give a CRAP about REAL human suffering.

Ah, that makes more sense. Anyway, I doubt a treatment for Fragile X could be extended to autism in general due to Fragile X's distinct pathology.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 2:08 am

League_Girl wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
I think my ex boyfriend may have had been one. He believed the government could take your house if he wanted it and he just kicks you out without any warning and he thought they also hired someone to assassinate a person for them when the person knows something they don't want them to know so thus the reason why some people disappear and are never found. My mom thought he was a schizophrenic because he had lot of "strange" beliefs. One of my aspie friends had friends who are conspiracy theorists and they wear him out too when he has to listen to it.

I sometimes get a crazy idea about what if there are actually time machines and that was how Anne Frank's family was found because something must have happened that made them famous so someone thought they could change the history by giving an anonymous call and to this day no one still knows who mad that call. Someone told me "actually this has been expressed before" so I saw I wasn't the only one with this crazy idea lol. I don't really believe in my own idea so I won't argue over it like my ex would about his ideas. He hated when I would challenge his ideas and when I wouldn't agree so he would keep on arguing and not drop it.

The government can kick you out of your house and take it, I believe it is called imminent domain, if they claim to 'need' the land for something else. Though there would be warning, but he's not totally off track to believe that just seems a bit mis-informed about the process....Also though you think there never are assassinations like that? I imagine you don't typically hear about them but I'd think its more likely than not it occurs it could explain some disappearances especially in a nation where cops murder people. Though if your ex figured they where coming for him specifically just because for instance that would be leaning more towards delusional.

He thought our gov assissinated people and kept silent about it and he belived our gov owned his stuff because they could come and take it if they wanted to he said.

Well I bet they do assassinate people and keep silent about it....But no the government does not own all of someones stuff just because they are able to take it in some circumstances, either way one does not have to be schizophrenic to have unusual ideas or worries necessarily.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 4:41 am

aghogday wrote:
Autism Speaks is NOT a hate group.

Saying over and over "Autism Speaks isn't a hate group" won't magically make them tolerant and accepting of AS, it certainly doesn't address any of their behaviour.

aghogday wrote:
And that is NOT SOMETHING that JER has ever stated.
He has a logical head on his shoulders.
He does not agree with EVERYTHING THEY do and neither do I.

John Elder Robison has made it's quite clear where he stands on this. That you've thoroughly deluded yourself into thinking that he on the same page as you, is quite troubling.

aghogday wrote:
ALL of this simply makes SOME of the people here look like they have no human empathy, particularly, when these facts are brought to the forefront and totally ignored.
As I have done time and time again.
The whole thing disgusts me, and I do not want the taste of it, anymore.

You happily spout your delusions, have no issue spreading around the stigma that we've diseased without realising how hateful and damaging that is to AS people, try to whitewash Autism Speaks as an upstanding and caring organisation and paint detractors are a bunch of conspiracy theorists all while remaining willfully ignorant. And you have the temerity to talk about empathy and ignoring facts. You have the gall to be disgusted, when people actually want to be considered human beings.

aghogday wrote:

Fragile X is not the same as Autism, and they're not related. Fragile X happens mostly with NTs, but also with left handed people, and gay people. They're not diseased either.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jan 2015, 4:44 am

aghogday wrote:

Mercury.
Lead.
Pesticides.
Plastics.
Gluten.
Not enough strawberries.
Brain damage.
Automotive exhaust.
Bad brain nerves.
Vaccines.
Chemicals found in non-stick cookware.
Lack of maternal bonding.
Bad parenting.
No worms.
Parasites.
Heavy metals.
Lyme disease.
Trauma.
Relative finger length.
Money.
Amino acids.
Too much androgen.
Air pollution.
The Internet.
Rubella. (German measles)
Drugs during pregnancy.
Vitamin deficiency.
God.
Food and water.
Circumcision.

....Fragile X syndrome.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 9:52 am

Moromillas wrote:
aghogday wrote:

Mercury.
Lead.
Pesticides.
Plastics.
Gluten.
Not enough strawberries.
Brain damage.
Automotive exhaust.
Bad brain nerves.
Vaccines.
Chemicals found in non-stick cookware.
Lack of maternal bonding.
Bad parenting.
No worms.
Parasites.
Heavy metals.
Lyme disease.
Trauma.
Relative finger length.
Money.
Amino acids.
Too much androgen.
Air pollution.
The Internet.
Rubella. (German measles)
Drugs during pregnancy.
Vitamin deficiency.
God.
Food and water.
Circumcision.

....Fragile X syndrome.

Nice list BUT HERE ARE THE FACTS:

AND I AM USING a source that the ASAN AUTISM SELF-ADVOCATE organization ENDORSES, PER THE AUTISM SOCIETY

http://www.autism-society.org/what-is/causes/

Quote:
Causes

There is no known single cause for autism spectrum disorder, but it is generally accepted that it is caused by abnormalities in brain structure or function. Brain scans show differences in the shape and structure of the brain in children with autism compared to in neurotypical children. Researchers do not know the exact cause of autism but are investigating a number of theories, including the links among heredity, genetics and medical problems.

In many families, there appears to be a pattern of autism or related disabilities, further supporting the theory that the disorder has a genetic basis. While no one gene has been identified as causing autism, researchers are searching for irregular segments of genetic code that children with autism may have inherited. It also appears that some children are born with a susceptibility to autism, but researchers have not yet identified a single “trigger” that causes autism to develop.

Other researchers are investigating the possibility that under certain conditions, a cluster of unstable genes may interfere with brain development, resulting in autism. Still other researchers are investigating problems during pregnancy or delivery as well as environmental factors such as viral infections, metabolic imbalances and exposure to chemicals.

Genetic Vulnerability

Autism tends to occur more frequently than expected among individuals who have certain medical conditions, including fragile X syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, congenital rubella syndrome and untreated phenylketonuria (PKU). Some harmful substances ingested during pregnancy also have been associated with an increased risk of autism.

Environmental Factors

Research indicates other factors besides the genetic component are contributing to the rise in increasing occurrence of autism – for example, environmental toxins (e.g., heavy metals such as mercury), which are more prevalent than in the past. Those with autism (or those at risk) may be especially vulnerable to such toxins, as their ability to metabolize and detoxify these exposures might be compromised.

WHETHER you CAN appreciate the TRUTH OR NOT, fragile X syndrome, tuberous sclerosis, congenital rubella syndrome and untreated phenylketonuria (PKU)S ARE ALL HUMAN DISEASES that are direct causal factors of some forms of Autism.

AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO RECORD of John Elder Robison EVER EVER stating Autism Speaks is a hate group.

That is simply rubbish and there is no professional person anywhere in the field of Autism that SUGGESTS THAT.

QUOTE IT OR OTHERWISE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. ;)

I ain't the ignorant OR DELUDED one here friend; I always come ARMED WITH THIRD PARTY REFERENCES.

AND I HAVE PLENTY MORE TO SHOOT UPON REQUEST..;)

AND These facts about Autism have been around for literally DECADES BUT SOME folks would rather push conspiracy theories RATHER THAN FACTS.

But again, the New England Journal of medicine provides the evidence as to WHY.

SO I understand it as a fascinating niche of human being but truly SAD TOO, as this kind of ignorance is WHAT TRULY BREEDS HATE.

Anyway you are just singing to a part of a choir here and NO one IN THE REAL WORLD with common sense TAKES any of this seriously, per Autism Speaks is a Hate Group Crap.

It's just Internet conspiracy BS and I'll leave it here for now, if you are finished with me for now.

But if you insist on continuing to suggest I am the ignorant one and deluded, I'll be back with a ton of more facts, as my Autistic super power is reading 10 to 15 times faster than the average human being, per my Hyperlexic form of Autism and typing around 130 words a minute when properly focused, AS I AM a lifelong pianist as well.

I also graduated at the top of the class IN all my academic endeavors in high school and college with three degrees.

I also have a quarter of a century experience working with many hats ON FOR the government, retiring at the GS9 to 11 pay grade, level.

I am a research associate scientist when younger than that.

I also am financially independent at age 54, own my own home, and that is my beautiful wife in the AVATAR with me.

I also can lift 900LBS now with my legs on Parallel Nautilus free weight leg press machine, as I have developed a unique style of free style martial arts and ballet dance walk that I have done to the tune of close to 3000 miles of Nike GPS sports watch measurement over 17 months now. At age 54, empirically speaking, I am stronger than all the much younger Marines at my elite Military gym, as they cannot come close to lift that much weight with their legs.

I am considered a dance legend in my local area, with accolades from the general public.

And most interestingly, my doctors agree that I singularly cured the most difficult reciprocal social communication problems of Autism by connecting language and emotion through free verse poetry, and increasing my physical intelligence to regulate my emotions, greater integrating my senses per sensory integration, and increasing both my short term memory and cognitive executive functioning, as science now shows that physical intelligence freely learned and expressed as an art increases all these human intelligences, and in my case, as medically documented INCREASING PHYSICAL INTELLIGENCE HAS remediated, per the modern MEDICAL definition of cure, my most FUNCTIONALLY disabling aspects of Autism.

And yes, I can provide documented, video, and photo evidence of all of this on request IF YOU ARE NOT GETTING THE FULL PICTURE YET, MY FRIEND.

I USE ALL MY INTELLIGENCES NOW MORE FULLY AND that is why some folks in real life call me a Legend.

I'm waiting for you to pooh pooh the idea that someone with Autism can do all of this, AS MANY people on this forum have done, BEFORE I PROVIDED THE IRREFUTABLE EVIDENCE TO THEM.

I BREAK ALL THE STEREOTYPES IN THE REAL WORLD THAT EXIST ASSOCIATED WITH AUTISM.

AND YES, I AM PROFESSIONALLY DIAGNOSED AND HAVE THE PEDIGREE TO PROVE THAT TOO. ;)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:21 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Seriously, six pages and nobody has said Adam Lanza or Elliott Rodgers?

People like them are causing the most damage to our image, as well as to those with schizophrenia.

:roll: I knew eventually someone would not be able to resist bringing that up yet again. Elliot Rodgers was not diagnosed with aspergers syndrome and no substantial proof he had it for one. Also how do you figure people with schizophrenia damage the image of autistics? why do I get the feeling the answer to that will be filled with stigmatizing generalizations about people with schizophrenia.

What I meant is that because of Lanza and Rodgers, people could potentially generalize all of us as violent psychopaths. And in the case of Elliott Rodgers, they may generalize males on the spectrum as potential sexual abusers. Some people use people like John Hinckley and James Holmes in their generalizations of people with schizophrenia. This is the connection I was referring to.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 10:59 am

My schizophrenic aunt used to get in trouble all the time with the law, is that the minority of schizophrenia?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2015, 12:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
My schizophrenic aunt used to get in trouble all the time with the law, is that the minority of schizophrenia?

According to research Schizophrenia and substance abuse makes trouble with the law potentially 10 times more likely, than the general population.

But without the substance abuse there is no substantial association that research shows.

Substance abuse is also a studied factor of trouble with the law and Asperger's Syndrome.

However, substance abuse alone is a factor for criminality.

Interestingly, folks who do not get nurturing during the first two years of life in the touchy feely way from a caring Mother and Father or surrogate parents often fall to the disease of addiction.

Science now shows that the wiring of the brain that is necessary to FEEL SOCIAL BONDING WITH OTHER FOLKS THAT IS THE STUDIED NUMBER 1 FACTOR OF HUMAN HAPPINESS, is sorely stunted without nurturing in the first two years of life.

While it's not politically correct to suggest IT, science now shows a real correlation of AUTISM AND THE REFRIGERATOR Mother Theory but only as an environmental potential causal factor and not an innate one, like the ones listed above per genetic disease.

Knowledge is power. Nurturing parents who actually RAISE THEIR CHILDREN IN TOUCHY FEELY WAYS IS A HUMAN NECESSITY FOR healthy socially cooperative human beings.

We LIVE in a society, overall now, where the majority of time SOME parents aren't even paying attention to their children.

AS METAPHOR Barney, the purple dinosaur on TV or DVD, is busy raising the children in NON-NURTURING Non-TOUCHY FEELY WAYS.

And the results of that can be children who have deficits in REAL LIFE TOUCHY FEELY RECIPROCAL SOCIAL COMMUNICATION WAYS OF social cooperation, sad as THAT TRUTH may be.