Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2015, 1:30 am

I don't think it's like the climate change situation, because this issue of whether someone wants a cure is their personal, subjective view about themselves, not a situation in which there is a lot of evidence on one side that others want to deny.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Feb 2015, 2:07 am

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't think it's like the climate change situation, because this issue of whether someone wants a cure is their personal, subjective view about themselves, not a situation in which there is a lot of evidence on one side that others want to deny.

It's very similar to it. We've experts going all the way back to Hans saying it's both abhorrent and detrimental. You have all these people looking to this one idiot, then thinking that there's a debate about, and that the community is divided on this, and even going so far as to think of those that are against it as immoral.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 1:27 am

His voice is as valid as anyone's. Interesting article.

I actually would try TMS to cure my depression, my tics, my anxiety if I actually thought it would work without any severe consequences. I've considered it in the past but I'm not sure how safe it is.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2015, 2:04 am

heavenlyabyss wrote:
His voice is as valid as anyone's.

His voice is invalid, he pretended his conjecture was fact, that's not even close to valid. There's no consensus, he's not an authority on anything.

He does not speak for the community, he doesn't even speak for a small portion of it. He's not any kind of expert, he's an intellectual lightweight, and an incredibly myopic one. Also, I don't mean this in a "mean way", but the guy, he's a loser. He talks about how lonely he is, and rests the blame squarely and entirely on us. "O, poor me, poor me. It's not my fault, it's that Asperger's, it's that Autism." Instead of working towards meeting people, or figuring out why it's not working, he just wants to make excuses for himself.

That's one way to make friends; The curebies just love him for doing this, it validates their hatred, and their bigotry. They can now turn around and go "See? Even the affected hate themselves and how they are. We need to stop them from being born, it's the compassionate and moral thing to do."

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 12:46 pm

JM does seem like a loser kind of person, but then I don't know that many details of his life, so maybe he is quite disabled and really can't do the things that he and his parents say he can't due to autism. It is hard to tell from reading his words and descriptions of him. Ackshuly, he seems quite comfortable in life, as he has his own house and can spend his time pursuing his interest of writing.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 12:57 pm

Well, I find it interesting the negative reactions that his speaking his mind provokes. I think it's strange. It's as if people want to silence him (what good is that going to do?). I don't think he actually has that much power. And TMS is an area of interest that hasn't been fully explored.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2015, 1:06 pm

Some people want to silence him probably, I don't care if he continues to speak his mind.
He is not the only one who has his particular view of autism and himself.
His life story is one of the least compelling possible.