Page 4 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Mar 2015, 6:39 am

Buzz201 wrote:
Moromillas wrote:
Well there are people out there that don't eat meat, hey you don't represent them, clearly we need to get rid of all the meat products. When does this nonsense stop?

The dehumanization of our people is NOT an opinion, equality and parity is the exact same right afforded to others. I represent AS people only in the way of being in touch with the community. You on the other hand, have thoroughly escaped reality. You do not represent AS people, it's a gross inaccuracy to infer there's a large portion of us wanting the spectrum to be wiped out, a "cure" would certainly not be optional.

Constantly sinking money into eugenic elimination is a disgrace, they might as well made a money bonfire with it. That money could have been used to help the families and people who have fallen on hard times.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.

Equality and parity aren't afforded to other groups, even now women don't really have equality, homosexuals don't really have equality, transgender people don't have equality, even physically disabled people don't really have equality. Sure things have improved for all these groups, but it hasn't and won't ever reach an absolute 0. The same would be true for autistic people, perhaps even more so since many are not outgoing or fond of public speaking. The truth is, it's far easier to write autistic people off than any of those other groups, so the fight is likely to be longer, harder and significantly less fruitful.

You don't represent AS, no one person does. You don't represent me, I have Asperger's. I don't represent you (and I never said I did). No one person is representative of ASDs and it would be wrong for anyone to assume that.

Everything I've seen about Asperger's and Autism makes me seriously doubt the existence of a cure, I was just saying that money put into the field (even if for the wrong reason) might yield advantages, and that it was wrong to shout down every piece of research that vaguely mentioned a cure.

Yet that is slowly changing for the better.

"You don't represent" is just another ad hom used by people who would write off what is being said, to institute their own warped reality. It would be like telling a gay person: "No, you don't represent gays, being gay is a choice." I'll say it again; That we don't want the spectrum to be wiped out, that we don't want to be eliminated, or "fixed", IS in fact, representative of the people. I'm sure there are people that believe the bigoted opinions, and buy into the self hate, much like there would be a small portion of gay people that hate themselves, yet even still, it is accurate to say that actually Autistic people do NOT share those bigoted opinions.

Squandering so much on research is wrong, for many reasons, the main one being that the money is not being used to help people and their families, that could use that money right now. Curebies seem to care a lot about people with intellectual disability, or learning disabilities like dyslexia, why aren't they instead using that money to help families offset the enormous costs of private tuition?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 9:52 pm

I don't understand why people focus so much on curing autism, since in many cases the people who they want to cure of autism also have intellectual disability, so they need to come up with a cure for intellectual disability too, because even if the autism gets cured, many of the people who get cured of autism will still have major functioning problems due to intellectual disability and still need lifelong care and still be far from normal.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2015, 10:03 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't understand why people focus so much on curing autism, since in many cases the people who they want to cure of autism also have intellectual disability, so they need to come up with a cure for intellectual disability too, because even if the autism gets cured, many of the people who get cured of autism will still have major functioning problems due to intellectual disability and still need lifelong care and still be far from normal.

Yes.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2015, 11:46 am

I'm an autism expert. I looked up everything on Wikipedia.