Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 12:45 pm

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has experience with starting a group at their college? I go to a very small college (150 people in my grade level) and was thinking about starting a group for students/individuals on the spectrum. I've spoken to someone about this and they think it's a great idea. However, things like how to handle the privacy of those in the group and confidentiality of what is said, are obvious issues to think about before implementing such a thing. I've already considered that it would be a Private group- only those who identify as on the spectrum would be allowed to attend. However, not much of anything else has really been considered. So does anyone who has either attended or run a group, have any suggestions or pointers?

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Apr 2015, 1:05 pm

When I was in school I knew a couple others on the spectrum who I met through wrong planet. But there was no formal group. We just hung out from time to time.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 1:07 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has experience with starting a group at their college? I go to a very small college (150 people in my grade level) and was thinking about starting a group for students/individuals on the spectrum. I've spoken to someone about this and they think it's a great idea. However, things like how to handle the privacy of those in the group and confidentiality of what is said, are obvious issues to think about before implementing such a thing. I've already considered that it would be a Private group- only those who identify as on the spectrum would be allowed to attend. However, not much of anything else has really been considered. So does anyone who has either attended or run a group, have any suggestions or pointers?

When I was attending my university, I helped organize, manage and promote one of its largest student groups. Because it was an LGBT group, it was frequently challenged legally over its activities. From those challenges, I and others learned a lot about such groups and the policies which govern them.

University student associations allow for student groups to be created. However, at public universities (and many private universities), the groups can't discriminate among those who may attend unless such attendance causes disruption to the group, its meetings and others who attend. That said, though, most groups, once created and successful in attracting legitimate attendees, are little noticed by others. As a result, the atmosphere is private even if the meeting itself isn't. I would advise going this route. Also, there is no requirement to invite individuals who would have no interest in attending or whose attendance might be disruptive. Student groups also usually require a faculty member to serve as its adviser and oversee (though not necessarily attend) its activities.

Non-student groups may also use public-university meeting spaces. They might, however, be charged a fee for the usage, and, again, certain anti-discrimination polices or laws might apply. This is a little more troublesome because access to many of the features of becoming a student group (discount or free: advertising in student media; use of film, video and other equipment; and other benefits) is withheld from non-student groups, or incur a fee. Fees can be waived on request especially if the group leaders express to the powers that be that the group would help its attendees in ways that aren't already being served at the university.

I suggest researching both options, then choosing the best option.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:02 pm

Well I was wanting to go the "private" group route because there are already groups that are private and that one has to identify as that identity in order to attend- for example, the LGBT group requires that members or attendees identify as one of those things. I am afraid that people will just come because they are bored or whatever and that's absolutely not what I am wanting to happen- it is by us-- for us. I was thinking that we could do something like that maybe. Oh, I attend a private Catholic college, by the way. However, I have heard no resistance whatsoever to starting a group. I would assume that one hasn't been started before because most Aspie's aren't comfortable with that kind of.. publicity.. and I mean, you're pretty much outed to the entire community by helping found it. I'm comfortable with my identity and seem normal (NT) to almost everyone. Anyway, that kind of logistical thing will have to be worked out and we are going to work on all of that during this summer vacation.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:08 pm

nyxjord wrote:
Well I was wanting to go the "private" group route because there are already groups that are private and that one has to identify as that identity in order to attend- for example, the LGBT group requires that members or attendees identify as one of those things. I am afraid that people will just come because they are bored or whatever and that's absolutely not what I am wanting to happen- it is by us-- for us. I was thinking that we could do something like that maybe. Oh, I attend a private Catholic college, by the way. However, I have heard no resistance whatsoever to starting a group. I would assume that one hasn't been started before because most Aspie's aren't comfortable with that kind of.. publicity.. and I mean, you're pretty much outed to the entire community by helping found it. I'm comfortable with my identity and seem normal (NT) to almost everyone. Anyway, that kind of logistical thing will have to be worked out and we are going to work on all of that during this summer vacation.

Ahh, yes. A private, religious college would be able to do whatever it chose. Ignore what I wrote. Hehe. :D

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

nyxjord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 2:45 pm

I just giggled lol! :lol: :lol:

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2015, 5:23 pm

nyxjord wrote:
I just giggled lol! :lol: :lol:

Yay! :wink:

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2015, 10:04 pm

I run, well one of the people that run, a social group in our area, I organise a lot of the social events and do general admin stuff. One thing we can't live without is the general meeting: Basically we meet once a month to talk about whatever we want, and to plan events, or spitball ideas. I email the entire crew as a reminder, a week before, and then a day before the meeting. We managed to get a private meeting area at our local library booked every month. It also helps to have a list of topics prepared, and also to get people to email in topics that they like. As for new members, perhaps there's some sort of local newsletter around there?