Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Sep 2009, 7:29 pm

Check out this new character, Yuki, in Casualty. He's one of a batch of new
junior doctors and from the outset, he appeared different to the others. He was
awkward about speaking and it was commented upon by someone. He had that distant
"look". He reminded me of myself 20+ years ago, though I studied in the arts, not
medicine. When he did speak, to his unattainable colleague, May, it was in the
sort of really over-the-head mnemonics that would suppress any overt expression
of attraction, probably with the genuine intention of nurturing that attraction within the safe sandbox of mutual intellectual respect. Unfortunately, he didn't even know that he was speaking over her head.

I looked him up on BBC to see if autism/Asperger's was mentioned. It isn't, though it does say that he suffers from "social anxiety" and decribes him as "nervy, clumsy, brilliantly clever, painfully shy, loyal".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/casualty/characters/yuki.shtml

Any thoughts?

jocundthelilac
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2009, 4:27 pm

I haven't watched Casualty since I was banned from it over distressing scenes worrying me. Still, isn't Yuki a girls name? Also, good case for Aspergers. Maybe the Beeb are reading this right now and will write it into a future plot- but that is wishful thinking...

Magnús Scheving is my Icelandic rose :)

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Sep 2009, 6:09 pm

jocundthelilac wrote:
I haven't watched Casualty since I was banned from it over distressing scenes worrying me. Still, isn't Yuki a girls name? Also, good case for Aspergers. Maybe the Beeb are reading this right now and will write it into a future plot- but that is wishful thinking...

Yuki is a previously unknown name to me so I wouldn't know whether it was a boy's or girl's name.

For all Yuki's brilliant capacity for memorizing medical information, he seemed unable to recognize sarcasm from a superior, eg when he repeated the term "aphabetti spaghetti" as the answer to a question. I think that was a clue to autism. I don't think he's up to a double bluff.