Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 2:16 pm

I know people have talked about it here, numerous times, that there should be training issued to officers of the law so that they can understand us a little better when we have to deal with them.
The story behind this petition is sad, but it's precisely the kind of story that it needs to get people to realize the situation.

You can read and sign here (clicky)

With police brutality on the rise, I think it's time we finally made this change before there are any fatalities because of a simple misunderstanding, especially since it seems now as though officers no longer care about real justice and are acting more out of fear and hatred than anything.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2014, 5:16 pm

It's actually a good idea. My friends have these cards that they got from the police station that shows that they are on the spectrum. It means that the seemingly erratic, suspicious-looking behavior can be seen in context. I've heard loads of stories of the police using unnecessary force on disabled people because of simple misunderstandings (though in many cases, it's just sheer incompetent policework). I think it should extend to how to treat people with intellectual disabilities as well.

Mike1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 7:54 am

MindBlind wrote:
I think it should extend to how to treat people with intellectual disabilities as well.

Why stop there? It should also include people with Social Anxiety Disorder, Avoidant Personality Disorder, Paranoid Personality Disorder, Schizoid Personality Disorder, Schizotypal Personality Disorder, Schizophrenia, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, Tourette's Syndrome, Dementia, Amnesia, Mutism, Blindness, Deafness, depression disorders, physical disorders and disabilities, certain diseases, etc.

AutisticGuy1981
Toucan
Toucan

09 Apr 2014, 1:32 pm

I'd have been diagnosed at 15 instead of 30 odd if the police were trained to spot ASD people.

Never had a problem with excessive force though, I didn;t even get hand cuffed most the time because "hes a good lad that won;t try to escape" :lol:

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Apr 2014, 8:44 pm

Ive seen these type of misunderstandigs first hand.i had a friend who had a major accident and nearly died,he had to relearn everything cause there was severe brain injuries.comming back from a movie we got pulled over ,the normal blah blah but when they notice him they quickly jumped to the conclusion that he was drunk or on drugs ,cause he has a hard time talking and walking, and treated him as such.i felt so bad for him.after some convincing and seeing his many scars they finaly realized it and let us go.i can understand where there coming from,they probably have to deal with a lot of intoxicated people,but it wasnt fair to jump to cunclusions without any info or context.
I also remember the same kind of deal in the news ,that a person with the same kind of difficulties wasnt allowed to get on a public bus because of the same reasons(im pretty sure that driver was fired)
This is not exacly about violence or autism but it shows the kind of misundrestanding that can happen to those who seem to be not "normal"

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2014, 3:32 am

Signed and tweeted.