Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4s7wBsG4o

OK, I'll admit myself to a mental hospital if this guy gets elected. (Not really)

Autism isn't hard on every family.

I hate this politician. With a passion.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:09 pm

How is this offensive, he never said anything against autism, you totally misconstrued what he said.
Look at what Harper's done in the few years the conservatives have been back in power, we are worse
off now then under the liberals.

-Overcrowded hospital having to use a Tim Hortons donut shop for the emergency room overflow.
-5 million million Canadians who don’t have a doctor, Harper’s fix would be to train 100 doctors, thats one doctor for every 50,000 Canadians that need one.

Not say either political party is any good, I don't particularly trust either.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

30 Mar 2011, 3:14 pm

silentbob15 wrote:
How is this offensive, he never said anything against autism, you totally misconstrued what he said.
Look at what Harper's done in the few years the conservatives have been back in power, we are worse

-Overcrowded hospital having to use a Tim Hortons donut shop for the emergency room overflow.
-5 million million Canadians who don’t have a doctor, Harper’s fix would be to train 100 doctors, thats one doctor for every 50,000 Canadians that need one.

The entire video is him discussing Autism,
but thanks for the illiterate rant.

Commented.

Last edited by Bethie on 30 Mar 2011, 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 3:15 pm

He said that autism is a "burden on the family". I'm not a Harper fan either. I am too young to vote, but I still have political views.

I think I like the NDP the best though.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:08 pm

You have to admit it is hard on families of the more severely affected. Don't forget not all autistics are just awkward aspies like most of us here.
I don't find that offensive, I was indifferent through out that sound clip.

HerrGrimm
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 4:14 pm

Epidemic means an abnormal increase COMPARED TO A BASELINE. It is different from prevalence.

The CDC does not know the baseline because they do not have enough data.

So when someone says it is an epidemic, ask them the baseline and ask why you should believe them over the CDC.

IMCarnochan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Mar 2011, 5:21 pm

I heard that in canada they treat maple syrup as a cure for autism...

Man I wish I had a Tim Hortons closer than 2 hours away.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:16 pm

If it's so much harder on the family than on the autistic child, than why do so many high functioning teens committ suicide every year? Because it's actually harder on the kids, because the parents make it harder on them than it has to be, the years that they raise them from day one. That's why it's actually harder on the child, than it is on the family. The child gets yelled at for having accidents, not giving eye contact, talking about their special interests, not giving a quick enough answer, stimming and walking on their tippy toes. Imagine how hard that would be on an innocent child.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:53 pm

If you are thinking of severe autism, then yeah it is harder on the family. AS can be harder on the family too and HFA. It's harder on the family because they may not be able to do things spontaneous or be flexible because then it would upset their child. Or they have to deal with the meltdowns and the stims and the siblings have to get judgments from other kids about their aspie sibling. They have to listen to the child talk about their obsessions all the time and nothing else. Even trying to explain every single thing for the aspie child will listen because they need to know logic, that is also hard on the parents because you can't explain everything. Even I can't explain everything so I cannot imagine having a child who has to know why to everything and need a reasonable enough answer to listen.

Severe autism, I don't even need to go there because we all have seen the Autism Speaks videos so we full well know how hard it is.

I really don't like the who has it harder. They both have it hard. I don't like thinking the kid has it harder than the family because then it feels like we are saying they have no right to struggle or be depressed or stressed out just because their kid is the one with it. And I don't like thinking the family or the parents has it harder because then it feels like they are saying the kid has no right to behave the way he is or else he is making it hard for everyone around him or he has no right to struggle too and be depressed about his disability since his family has it harder because of him. I know I'd be furious if someone told me my kid has it harder if he had a disability too, not just autism, I mean anything. I would in fact probably go ballistic and maybe blow up and never speak to that person again because I felt they were cold hearted and didn't care about my issues and struggled and feelings. There are certain things out there that set me off so I totally change my personality and this is one of them. I get really nasty because I am so pissed and that was what I did with my online friend a few days ago because he didn't see my point and didn't understand when I explained myself so I got very very angry and cursed him out. But then I apologized for it the next day but I still can't face him because that was how upset I got and am afraid I'd get upset again if he still doesn't understand and see it my way. It felt like I was talking to a brick wall and it made me angry.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 6:55 pm

Bottom line - the guy is a politician. Autism is a hot issue because it is expensive to diagnose, provide educational and support interventions and, in many case it lasts through adulthood. His primary concern is that of his constituents - how is the government going to pay for all of that? Burden the tax payers? Leave the burden to the parents? And by burden I mean financial burden. As a politican he needs to find a balance that addresses both sides needs.

He may personally have sympathy for the issue but sympathy doesn't address the cold hard facts. Autism can be expensive. everyone assoicated with it needs specialty training, they demand higher salaries for their specialized knowledge and the number of kids being diagnosed is statisically higher even if the reasons why can be called into question.

I this context, I did not find his opinion offensive at all. I actually found it very middle of the road.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2011, 10:07 pm

Now that you mention that, it make senses, draelynn.

Bethie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: My World, Highview, Louisville, Kentucky, USA, Earth, The Milky Way, Local Group, Local Supercluster

31 Mar 2011, 7:42 am

That's what I didn't like, Cockney.

It is the CHILD who has to cope in an NT world every single day.

silentbob15
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2011, 11:34 pm

Bethie wrote:
silentbob15 wrote:

The entire video is him discussing Autism,
but thanks for the illiterate rant.

Commented.

Bite me

cnidocyte
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Apr 2011, 5:44 am

ocdgirl123 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm4s7wBsG4o

OK, I'll admit myself to a mental hospital if this guy gets elected. (Not really)

Autism isn't hard on every family.

I hate this politician. With a passion.

Just cuz you are diagnosed with a form of autism doesn't mean you have any greater understanding of what severe autism is like than anyone else.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2011, 10:10 pm

IMCarnochan wrote:
I heard that in canada they treat maple syrup as a cure for autism...

Man I wish I had a Tim Hortons closer than 2 hours away.

OMG so do I! I ate at a Tim Hortons in Ohio and it was the greatest food I ever tasted. Indiana always gets cheated out of the good stuff. :P

But to get back on topic as offensive as this guy's comments were, he is supposed to appeal to the voters, meaning the parents of autism, not the autistic children themselves. However he does seem open to ideas so I can only hope that some of those ideas come from actual autistic people who can provide input and not just parents.

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2011, 12:52 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
If it's so much harder on the family than on the autistic child, than why do so many high functioning teens committ suicide every year? Because it's actually harder on the kids, because the parents make it harder on them than it has to be, the years that they raise them from day one. That's why it's actually harder on the child, than it is on the family. The child gets yelled at for having accidents, not giving eye contact, talking about their special interests, not giving a quick enough answer, stimming and walking on their tippy toes. Imagine how hard that would be on an innocent child.

I love what you said very much. You speak from the heart.

These silly politicians are just that, silly. They really could care less about you or if you live or die. I'm in the US, and here, politics have gone down the crapper, mainly because of this party bullcrap. A coworker once said that if a politician is speaking, he's lying. Most of the time, this is true. Politics today is about trying to sell yourself to your voters. How many politicians run for office, tell the voters everything they want to hear, and do something completely different once they get in. How many politicians in office just make sure their party is happy, brown nose, and only look out for themselves and their cronies?

Politics in the US, from the city, county, state, and federal levels, is built completely on dishonesty and lies, whether republican or democrat, liberal or conservative. And to boot, you have these idiot politicians who know nothing about autism spectrum disorders, yet they try to look like saviors. They might have fooled everyone else, but they certainly did not fool us.