Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ExcitinglyOpaque
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Apr 2012, 5:45 pm

Who else is so annoyed?

"Where are the autistic adults handflapping, toe-walking, and throwing tantrums?"

"RIGHT HERE!" I say to a computer or television, or to people who won't listen anyway. Granted, I don't have meltdowns - I have shutdowns - but the ironic thing is that, when I hear these things or read these things in private, I'm usually handflapping after toe-walking. Do people just forget that adults wear shoes? Why the misconception that autistic people don't grow up to, well, hide their behaviors?

Erasure is so frustrating.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 5:53 pm

It's like saying "where are all the black people who don't listen to rap?" or "where are all the gay people who aren't flaming queens?" Answer: The stereotype is most often represented in the media. When you think of autistics, you think of kids, because the media focuses overwhelmingly on kids. They're responsible for the stereotypes in the first place.

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 6:08 pm

I handflap and have meltdowns

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:03 pm

I've actually never heard that question.

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 8:53 pm

Tuttle wrote:
lucky you. it gets annoying. I've heard it plenty. i think Jenny McCarthy and her goons like to repeat it.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 9:22 pm

aspie48 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:
lucky you. it gets annoying. I've heard it plenty. i think Jenny McCarthy and her goons like to repeat it.

It might partially be because I don't hide my autism, and partially be because the people I know have even specifically heard of Asperger's before I say anything.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 11:40 pm

I think a lot of people are given the idea that "autism == no development whatsoever (unless program X is used)." So, they expect all autistic adults (who did not get the benefit of program X) to behave just like their 4 year-old kid. Since the don't see that in their everyday life they conclude that there were and are no ASD adults.

Oh and it just occurred to me that that question may be being used in the context of fund-raising. IOW, "ZOMG, there's an epidemic!!1! You can tell there is because there's no autistic adults!! You have to give us money now or we're all gonna be swimming in autistics tomorrow!! ! And then we'll all die!! !! AHhh!! !!"

aspie48
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:40 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
I think a lot of people are given the idea that "autism == no development whatsoever (unless program X is used)." So, they expect all autistic adults (who did not get the benefit of program X) to behave just like their 4 year-old kid. Since the don't see that in their everyday life they conclude that there were and are no ASD adults.

Oh and it just occurred to me that that question may be being used in the context of fund-raising. IOW, "ZOMG, there's an epidemic! !1! You can tell there is because there's no autistic adults!! You have to give us money now or we're all gonna be swimming in autistics tomorrow!! ! And then we'll all die!! !! AHhh!! !!"
true. i think its just the fringe conspiracy theorists who say this though.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2012, 9:17 am

the annoyingness of the question aside, i see an unusually high incidence among my coworkers at the bookstore. on some shift-days they're actually in the majority.

reasoning." --William Blake

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

17 Apr 2012, 12:02 pm

I get annoyed too. I'll say to myself, "I'm right here!" while spinning around.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Apr 2012, 4:06 pm

Tuttle wrote:

I haven't heard this question either.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2012, 2:10 pm

ExcitinglyOpaque wrote:
Who else is so annoyed?

"Where are the autistic adults handflapping, toe-walking, and throwing tantrums?"

"RIGHT HERE!" I say to a computer or television, or to people who won't listen anyway. Granted, I don't have meltdowns - I have shutdowns - but the ironic thing is that, when I hear these things or read these things in private, I'm usually handflapping after toe-walking. Do people just forget that adults wear shoes? Why the misconception that autistic people don't grow up to, well, hide their behaviors?

How is hiding your symptoms and growing up synonymous.........strange logic people have, strange logic indeed.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 1:25 pm

Where are all the autistic adults????

HIDING!! !!

I know of one living way up the back of a hollow somewhere. I imagine he's not the only one who shuns civilization.

I know I, personally, don't go out unless I know I'm going to be able to be on my NT behavior.

I further know I'm not the only one.

So... Being able to make the NTs comfortable around you means you're "fixed"????

Wow. We can "fix" autism...

...but there's still no cure for STUPID.

TheBookworm
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2012, 10:54 pm

ExcitinglyOpaque wrote:

...after toe-walking. Do people just forget that adults wear shoes? .

8O I didn't know that that had anything to do with ASD or autism.
Holy poopers.
I've been doing that since I was really little. I still do, and most people tell me It's bad for my ankles/feet. But I have huge feet (for a girl anyway) so I feel like I don't need to worry.

Wow.

Sparkstorm
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Apr 2012, 7:21 am

The autistic adults have usually learnt that much of society doesn't like people who are different, and are trying to blend in for safety's sake!

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2012, 10:34 am

ExcitinglyOpaque wrote:
Who else is so annoyed?

-------------------------------------------------------------
"Well, ex-CU-U-U-U-U-u-use ME!" And for your information, adults do learn better than that more often than not. Even autistic adults."

I'll admit I do get pissed off when people presume things about adults with autism spectrum disorders without having to live such a life.