Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

em_06
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Apr 2012, 10:17 am

Does anyone else see a problem with having Autism possible being redefined? I read an article in a newspaper about this and it makes me irritated to know that my diagnoses of Asperger's could be eliminated completely and I would be put under a new diagnoses of an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Personally I would not really care to be placed under the same category as people with Severe Autism, nothing against them, but they should keep Asperger's as it's own diagnoses especially since it is named for a doctor in Austria who diagnosed young boys with the disorder!

Well enough of being on my soap box, what do other people think about this?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 10:24 am

em_06 wrote:
Does anyone else see a problem with having Autism possible being redefined? I read an article in a newspaper about this and it makes me irritated to know that my diagnoses of Asperger's could be eliminated completely and I would be put under a new diagnoses of an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Personally I would not really care to be placed under the same category as people with Severe Autism, nothing against them, but they should keep Asperger's as it's own diagnoses especially since it is named for a doctor in Austria who diagnosed young boys with the disorder!

It's not really a 'new' diagnoses, its just going to be categorized as an autism spectrum disorder, because from my understanding they are setting it up as a spectrum with different levels of severity. The purpose is not to exclude people with an aspergers diagnoses as they are likely to still fit under the autism spectrum disorder but maybe less severe, though I would argue AS can be pretty severe to. I don't know to me it makes sense what they are doing.

Also technically you already are in that catagory as AS is already considered a form of autism, thing is I imagine you'd be labeled as slight or something rather than severe.

Gravechylde
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Apr 2012, 12:18 pm

Autism and Aspergers have been getting much more attention. This attention is going to bring more psychiatrists/psychologists into studying it, which could, and is, changing the way they look at these disorders. I also think that there will probably be more changes into how the spectrum is categorized in the future, until they can decide on a way that they feel best describes this spectrum of disorders.

beccah
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 6:01 pm

[quote="em_06"]Does anyone else see a problem with having Autism possible being redefined? I read an article in a newspaper about this and it makes me irritated to know that my diagnoses of Asperger's could be eliminated completely and I would be put under a new diagnoses of an Autism Spectrum Disorder. Personally I would not really care to be placed under the same category as people with Severe Autism, nothing against them, but they should keep Asperger's as it's own diagnoses especially since it is named for a doctor in Austria who diagnosed young boys with the disorder!

Well enough of being on my soap box, what do other people think about this?[/quote]
I feel the same way,esp since I believe being diagnosed w Autism would leave me w more of a stereotype from medical or mental health professional,really I'm just tired of it all;they should leave AS they way it is.

does anyone know if this is a universal change or just the USA/canada?

MrPickles
Raven
Raven

25 Apr 2012, 1:02 am

The one real problem I see with the change in the diagnoses changes proposed is that the NTs will not be able to understand the difference between my son, myself and the truly Autistic. Many will believe that we are just like "Rainman" from the movie. I am coming to think that Asperger's is really just a personality type basically toward the far end of normal and that autism may just be people that got a little too much of a good thing. The other end of this scale may well be a very pleasant simpleton. Too far toward any end of the scale gets you into trouble.

As for the quick change in the numbers of autistic I cannot see any way that we can even match up the number of autistic people from one time to the next - we are changing the rules - the methods of counting and adding new groups to the count - So there just too much changing over time to make any comparisons possible.

I fear the short term for my son and myself - as many non-thinkers will try writing us off as useless "Rainman" types (their view not ours) - but in reality in the long run it will be the strongly affected autistic people that will suffer the most as the NTs will come to think of autism in terms of us the present day Asperger's as the face of autism and will not be willing to spend anything on helping those that need some real help.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

MrPickles wrote:
The one real problem I see with the change in the diagnoses changes proposed is that the NTs will not be able to understand the difference between my son, myself and the truly Autistic. Many will believe that we are just like "Rainman" from the movie. I am coming to think that Asperger's is really just a personality type basically toward the far end of normal and that autism may just be people that got a little too much of a good thing. The other end of this scale may well be a very pleasant simpleton. Too far toward any end of the scale gets you into trouble.

As for the quick change in the numbers of autistic I cannot see any way that we can even match up the number of autistic people from one time to the next - we are changing the rules - the methods of counting and adding new groups to the count - So there just too much changing over time to make any comparisons possible.

I fear the short term for my son and myself - as many non-thinkers, will try writing us off as useless "Rainman" types (their view not ours) - but in reality in the long run it will be the strongly affected autistic people that will suffer the most as the NTs will come to think of autism in terms of us the present day Asperger's as the face of autism and will not be willing to spend anything on helping those that need some real help.

So essentially, you would find it embarrassing to be associated with the 'truly autistic' which by the way I have to disagree with that as aspergers is a form of autism and thus does make one truly autistic. But what, you agree with the general public that in order to have autism you have to be just like rain man? Also to some of us aspergers is more than a 'personality type' and actually causes difficulties.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 4:41 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
I have to disagree with that as aspergers is a form of autism and thus does make one truly autistic. But what, you agree with the general public that in order to have autism you have to be just like rain man? Also to some of us aspergers is more than a 'personality type' and actually causes difficulties.

are you saying aspergers is not a form of autism at all

RaNg84
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2012, 5:06 pm

I don't think MrPickles is embarrassed or thinks that Aspergers is a form of Autism (it is). What he/she is saying is that NTs might think of people with ASD if you get rid of the diagnose of Aspergers then most will think of us as people who are like Raymond Babbit when that is not the case of all. MrPickles is also saying that Aspergers will be the nice face of Autism and you won't hear about people who are severe, non verbal for example.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 7:57 pm

beccah wrote:
em_06 wrote:

I feel the same way,esp since I believe being diagnosed w Autism would leave me w more of a stereotype from medical or mental health professional,really I'm just tired of it all;they should leave AS they way it is.

does anyone know if this is a universal change or just the USA/canada?

It's doesn't apply to those diagnosed under the ICD10 or Gillberg criteria, used widely in other areas of the world.

The DSMV, suggests that Aspergers may still be used as a term for those, for those that do not meet the requirements that Autism Spectrum Disorder limits and impairs one in every day functioning, in the clinical setting where the DSMV criteria is used for Autism Spectrum Disorder.

In other words. an informal classification for those on the broader autism phenotype. However, it won't be defined as a disorder in the DSMV, just as those who already exhibit traits associated with autism on the broader autism phenotype, are not classified with an actual disorder.

The classification of Aspergers as an actual disorder, will continue on a large scale global basis, as an advantage for those that want to continue to identify with the term Aspergers, with others on a global basis, through the medium of the internet.

If the doctors don't identify one as an individual that actually has limits and impairments of functioning in everyday life, technically they wouldn't meet the new Autism Spectrum Disorder Criteria, that makes it clearer than the current diagnostic criteria for Aspergers, that what they are describing a disabling condition, per that specific mandatory requirement.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Apr 2012, 10:46 pm

In response to the question, I do not have a problem with Asperger's being listed under the autism spectrum. That's where it is now. Asperger's, in my opinion, is a type of autism. And again, I have no problem with that.

Quantum_Immortal
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2012, 10:19 am

They are right to merge every thing.

The distinction isn't reasonable (asperger/autism). Its about language development. But it turns out, that language development isn't reliable enough.

I'm officially an aspie( started talking at age 3). In all logic i should be in level 1 in the autism spectrum. In reality i'm at least a 2. I can't say more on the levels, i haven't seen any examples of them around.

They are people here, that started talking at a normal age. But there choice of words is ultra strange. Again officially aspies, but they are clearly not the mildest of autism.

They are even people, that started talking at 5, and you can't tell that they had language issues now that they are adults.

Conclusion: Language development is a mess, it doesn't reliably say much about the autism of the individual.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 11:39 am

I think it might as well be called autism. I don't see a huge deal with it. I mean you could tell people that you have autism but you're more on the high functioning side. Asperger's Syndrome is a form of higher functioning autism anyway. I wouldn't be ashamed to tell people that I am a person with autism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 11:45 am

vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
I have to disagree with that as aspergers is a form of autism and thus does make one truly autistic. But what, you agree with the general public that in order to have autism you have to be just like rain man? Also to some of us aspergers is more than a 'personality type' and actually causes difficulties.

are you saying aspergers is not a form of autism at all

No I was saying Aspergers is a form of autism, the poster I responded to was saying that Aspergers is different than 'true autism' which I disagreed with since if Aspergers is autism that would make it 'true' autism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 11:48 am

RaNg84 wrote:
I don't think MrPickles is embarrassed or thinks that Aspergers is a form of Autism (it is). What he/she is saying is that NTs might think of people with ASD if you get rid of the diagnose of Aspergers then most will think of us as people who are like Raymond Babbit when that is not the case of all. MrPickles is also saying that Aspergers will be the nice face of Autism and you won't hear about people who are severe, non verbal for example.

So we should keep the stereotype that autism refers to only extremely severe autism well and alive? just so aspies don't have to be embarrassed to be associated with 'those' people on account of being in the same diagnostic category? or are you just objectively summing it up...anyways that is still my view on it.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:30 pm

About time! I vote for Loner Mutant!

edgewaters
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2012, 9:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
So we should keep the stereotype that autism refers to only extremely severe autism well and alive? just so aspies don't have to be embarrassed to be associated with 'those' people on account of being in the same diagnostic category? or are you just objectively summing it up...anyways that is still my view on it.

I'm right with you on that one. Presuming I get a dx as such, I'll be coming out as autistic not AS (except perhaps in a more precise discussion about it). I know I'll take some slings and arrows I could reduce by using AS instead, but that's the price of solidarity. I don't want to be party to some kind of divide and conquer which harms us all.