Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

aspiekelly
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2013, 9:38 pm

Interesting article about an 'Autism Speaks' campaign to bring awareness to white children being diagnosed earlier, and more often,
http://www.care2.com/causes/reaching-ou ... noses.html

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2013, 7:51 am

I agree, but it applys to all ND conditions such as (dyspraxia, dyslexia, AD(H)D).

The autism movement is white dominated, but it is true for other conditions.

If autism was known in minority communities, people would get support, the problem minority communities are more likely to be disadvantaged, isolated.

Talha Ahsan (especially ) and Gary McKinnon may have been diagnosed earlier, it could have saved him.

Parents do not like the label, they do not trust the services, cannot understand, handle the conditions or may face a stigma in their community.

It is possible that ethnic(racial) minorities are more likely to live in the most disadvantaged areas.

I have dyspraxia, and borderline asperger syndrome. I knew that I had dyspraxia, but only thought dyspraxia, was being clumsy.

Some thought, I may have asperger syndrome, The psychiatrist said "aspergers traits not a problem" after having a non-standard diagnosis. I learnt about adult dyspraxia, I realised that
my problems were dyspraxic. I received my diagnosis of dyspraxia, after learning about adult dyspraxia. I realised that my asperger syndrome is borderline. I have an Autism Spectrum Quotient is 25. See,

Autism Spectrum Quotient is 25

My dyspraxia has caused me a history of problems, my parents acknowledge this fact.

We need spread the about ASD(aspergers), dyspraxia, with a complete understanding.

Aspergers is on the Autism Spectrum which everyone has a place. It is not a black and white condition.

Charities are biased.

Dyspraxics can have aspergers traits, a significant number of dyspraxics have aspergers traits.

whiteflower
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jun 2013, 9:06 pm

I think the reasons that minorities are underdiagnosed have to do with language barriers and cultural stigma, in addition to racism. Some immigrant families see autistic sons or daughters as parental failures because they don't conform to the cultural norms of their countries. More minorities need to be properly diagnosed, and autism awareness must spread around the world.

ALADDIN_1978
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jun 2013, 10:15 am

Some racial minorities are the nth generation and are still undiagnosed. There is definitely cultural issues and racism within the society, and the fact that minorities are in a lower socio-economic position, often isolated.

Sadly, the Autism Movement is white middle class.

Can you name a minority aspie ?

I can, probably one of the most famous aspie, See, Syed Talha Ahsan

Free Talha Ahsan

Arran
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2013, 9:12 am

There are definitely cultural issues and psychological barriers. Muslim parents overwhelmingly turn towards their own communities for support and they distrust professionals and outside organisations. One of their greatest fears is the local authority sending their children to a SEN residential school where they cannot practice Islam. Hindu parents have their own ideas about disability and SEN originating from their religious beliefs. Chinese parents are quick to blame the school but later end up blaming themselves for their children's shortcomings.

I don't think the media for religious and ethnic groups in the have picked up on autism and AS yet. A significant proportion of non-whites rarely bother with the British mainstream media so are likely to be behind developments. A few years ago I discussed AS with the head of an Islamic school who is also a scholar and on the committee of a mosque and he had never heard of the condition. It's also important to take into account that ethnic groups have different social expectations to the white British middle class which makes comparing the way autism and related conditions manifests almost like comparing like with unlike. Organisations like the NAS will look at things from a white middle class British vantage point.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 6:52 pm

I know for a fact that even though I am only half Asian, my AS diagnosis was delayed partially by the assumption that I was displaying the standard Asian stereotypes (shy, nerdy, etc).

People in Indiana like the stereotype...A LOT.

Metalwolf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 11:23 am

I could be wrong, but I heard somewhere that at least in African American communities, there is a stigma against mental illnesses and that autism was considered a 'white person's disease.' This stigma makes a person less inclined to go to a psychiatrist should they need it and that any autism signs in a kid are frequently overlooked because of this belief. :?

greyjay
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Jul 2013, 6:49 pm

My community still has a living memory of residential schools and forced sterilization, so there is a distrust of institutions, including 'western' based medicine. My experience was a little different because I was adopted out, but I found that I had difficulty communicating with psychologists that I was sent to because they were ignorant about my background. Initially my lack of eye contact was explained as attachment issues because of the adoption and legacy of residential schools in my bio family, even though I was adopted at birth. I've also found Anishinaabe people more accepting of my social differences, so in those spaces my AS traits are less of a problem. I think that a combination of factors could be at play. Raising awareness is good, but unless inequalities and the violent historical relationships institutionalized medicine has had with some communities are addressed, it will not be sufficient.

okie

12 Jul 2013, 7:27 pm

In terms of under-diagnosis and economic class, in many cases, people just can't afford to be unwell. I've met people working in positions with no job security or medical that will put off having possibly cancerous cysts or other potentially serious symptoms diagnosed because they don't want to spend money on the checkup, and they couldn't afford even basic medical care if turns out they really did have a problem, so why bother?
Psychology? Forget it! If it doesn't effect their back, heart, lungs, or legs, it isn't even acknowledged as a possible problem! Middle class people have bipolar and chronic depression and schizoid tendencies, etc. Poor people have Crazy. "But his crazy ass better get hisself some money."

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 12:02 pm

Metalwolf wrote:
I could be wrong, but I heard somewhere that at least in African American communities, there is a stigma against mental illnesses and that autism was considered a 'white person's disease.' This stigma makes a person less inclined to go to a psychiatrist should they need it and that any autism signs in a kid are frequently overlooked because of this belief. :?

I do not believe that this is a racial construct... The following is a blanket statement. All races and socio-economic classes have a stigma on mental illness...

Superflynurse
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Jul 2013, 1:05 pm

Feralucce wrote:
Metalwolf wrote:

I do not believe that this is a racial construct... The following is a blanket statement. All races and socio-economic classes have a stigma on mental illness...

No he is right there is a stigma in the AA community trust me I am part of it. And its not that we're ignorant or don't have the resources we like to be looked at as a strong people and see that as a weakness. I have never been without insurance but my parents never saw fit to get me help. I was having so many problems as a child but they just over looked them.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 2:16 pm

He is right about that, but he was wrong in insinuating that the same stigma does not exist in other "races"

kzzrn
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jul 2013, 6:25 pm

Feralucce wrote:
He is right about that, but he was wrong in insinuating that the same stigma does not exist in other "races"

I'm not so sure that he meant it doesn't exist, but it is far more severe in backward societies (race has nothing to do with culture as you will find similar attitudes in "less than progressive" white societies as well).

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2013, 7:15 pm

That is kind of my point... and it's not just backwards societies... ALL (sweeping generalization) of america has a stigma on mental illness...

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

31 Jul 2013, 9:34 am

I'm Asian; how does this affect me, exactly?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2013, 11:11 am

greyjay wrote:
My community still has a living memory of residential schools and forced sterilization, so there is a distrust of institutions, including 'western' based medicine. My experience was a little different because I was adopted out, but I found that I had difficulty communicating with psychologists that I was sent to because they were ignorant about my background. Initially my lack of eye contact was explained as attachment issues because of the adoption and legacy of residential schools in my bio family, even though I was adopted at birth. I've also found Anishinaabe people more accepting of my social differences, so in those spaces my AS traits are less of a problem. I think that a combination of factors could be at play. Raising awareness is good, but unless inequalities and the violent historical relationships institutionalized medicine has had with some communities are addressed, it will not be sufficient.

I feel you on this one. Certainly here the memories of residential schools and the stolen generations are not far from the surface.
Especially since 25% or 26% of the prison population here are natives, despite being less than 3% of the population as a whole. As far as they are concerned the more they stay away, the better.