Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2013, 10:04 pm

I watched this tonight and found it very good. I liked what a lot of the participants had to say and it was good to hear their experiences. I especially liked Wolf and the long-haired gentleman who spoke about strategies for conversation. My Mom watched it with me and she said I was a lot like the little girl when I was that age.

Anty28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2013, 5:05 am

Where do I click to see the whole film online (not just the trailer) ?

Anty28
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Jul 2013, 8:02 am

Addendum : it's available online now. But not for my country :(

WhitneyM
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jul 2013, 1:00 pm

I went to POV homepage click on the video tab it was there.

I did enjoy it. It had very interesting points.

Thanks Paula for seeing the world through your eyes.

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 1:41 pm

I've seen it, it was good, especially the thing that one women said 19 minutes into it. If you want to know what it was, you'll have to see it for yourself.

PaulaDurbin-Westby

05 Aug 2013, 5:50 am

Interestingly, I found this the other day. The journalist and filmmaker say they "had the chance to speak with me." Um, they did not. I was not interviewed for this! The filmmaker had told me *he* was going to be interviewed and said he needed an answer to the question about neurodiversity, so I sent him a paragraph about it. When it came out, no one ever told me about it. Odd for something I was "interviewed" for. I only found this 2 nights ago. The whole airing of this part of my life has caused me, and also my child, quite a bit of anxiety. It's actually pretty awful for us, and I doubt my section of it teaches anyone anything about autism. This so-called interview is just one more of the things I don't like about this whole film process. I am just glad I sent a pretty cool definition of neurodiversity since I had no idea they were going to copy and paste it into their interview.

"See what the film's director, Adam Larsen, says about his motivation for making this film:
http://rooftopfilms.com/blog/2011/07/me ... pical.html

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2013, 11:33 am

PaulaDurbin-Westby wrote:
It's actually pretty awful for us, and I doubt my section of it teaches anyone anything about autism.

If it was aweful for you then you shouldn't have been in it, but I really liked watching how you moved. While what was talked about kept going back to relationship problems that shouldn't have been there, how you moved, how you wore ear muffs, and such, was much clearer than the other older people on the spectrum that were shown.

I didn't learn anything, but I also am an autistic adult who has a special interest in autism. I didn't learn anything from any of the sections. I just watched it and stimmed.

If you watch it without sound though, your section would still be interesting to watch, which I like.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 4:02 am

I like some of the other parts. I have no feeling of "yay, I'm on TV" or anything like that. I just wish it would all go away. Thanks for reading.

Hi Paula! I had not heard of you before seeing the film, and now I am huge fan!

I loved that moment when you were enthused by the light on the water and you asked your son if if he was enjoying it as much as you. And I liked the decoration on your headphones/ear protection.

I was sorry to read that you did not like the way they focused on the trouble with your son's dad. I thought that was a very good part of the film because it showed the way some people take advantage of their autistic partners. You seemed like a fantastic mom and a beautiful person while he seemed troubled and self-deceiving.

My sense of you, based on POV, is that you are a marvelous person and since I saw it and your complaint (I think I read it on Karla's ASD page) I have learned a lot about what you are doing. I hope that this whole thing, even the parts that seem negative to you now, will all turn out to be a huge positive in your life.

I am grateful to you for participating in the film and for all your positive work as an autistic self advocate.

PaulaDurbin-Westby

07 Aug 2013, 11:02 am

Thanks you, Admantium. I am glad you got something from the film. I am not against people getting something from it, even though I do not like it. ;)

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:34 am

Interestingly, I found this the other day. The journalist and filmmaker say they "had the chance to speak with me." Um, they did not. I was not interviewed for this! The filmmaker had told me *he* was going to be interviewed and said he needed an answer to the question about neurodiversity, so I sent him a paragraph about it. When it came out, no one ever told me about it. Odd for something I was "interviewed" for. I only found this 2 nights ago. The whole airing of this part of my life has caused me, and also my child, quite a bit of anxiety. It's actually pretty awful for us, and I doubt my section of it teaches anyone anything about autism. This so-called interview is just one more of the things I don't like about this whole film process. I am just glad I sent a pretty cool definition of neurodiversity since I had no idea they were going to copy and paste it into their interview.

I think they should pay you for writing it for them since they used it.

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 12:35 pm

Rats! It's not available in my region, and I was looking forward to watching it, too :(

Then I have done my job

PaulaDurbin-Westby

07 Aug 2013, 10:10 pm

:) I like that idea. Of being paid for some of the advocacy work I do! And, one site says I am "starring" in this film. I am SO not an actress, and the one comment where someone said it seemed like I was talking to the husband rather than the filmmaker- actually I *was* saying that to the filmmaker and the potential audience to explain it to them. Clearly I do not have a future in Hollywood... I have a question to ask, after reading comments here and on another Wrong Planet thread. Do you think my section has anything to do with autism/Asperger's, or did it have to do with marriage problems? Since I was saying that the marital problems had to do with the overwhelming debt, and he was blaming autism, it seems that anyone who "takes his side" will blame autism somehow, and anyone who "takes my side" will blame the financial stuff. And my overarching question about all this is "How on earth is this really saying anything about autism itself?!" Comments appreciated. - Paula

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:26 pm

Links to other WP threads on the program, which include links to the show itself
(so you can watch/stream it free online).

WP thread 1

WP link 2

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2013, 11:32 pm

I also very much enjoyed the parts with the other autistic adults who were not the "focus" of the film,
who were given snippets interspersed throughout the show.
I'd like to see a documentary made up just of extended interviews with those people,
they said so many things I could relate to.

I liked the girl who talked about understanding small talk, I totally agreed with her perception/interpretation.
Liked the guy detailing his analytical approach to women, too-makes a lot of rational sense to me.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 7:57 pm

Do you think my section has anything to do with autism/Asperger's, or did it have to do with marriage problems? Since I was saying that the marital problems had to do with the overwhelming debt, and he was blaming autism, it seems that anyone who "takes his side" will blame autism somehow, and anyone who "takes my side" will blame the financial stuff. And my overarching question about all this is "How on earth is this really saying anything about autism itself?!" Comments appreciated. - Paula

I think it was both - I think there were stuff about autism, and I think there was stuff about your marriage problems.

The stuff about your autism was quite well done. The stuff about the marriage problems seemed like it was "People like talking about relationships and autism so we're putting this in"

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2013, 9:26 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Do you think my section has anything to do with autism/Asperger's, or did it have to do with marriage problems? Since I was saying that the marital problems had to do with the overwhelming debt, and he was blaming autism, it seems that anyone who "takes his side" will blame autism somehow, and anyone who "takes my side" will blame the financial stuff. And my overarching question about all this is "How on earth is this really saying anything about autism itself?!" Comments appreciated. - Paula

I think it was both - I think there were stuff about autism, and I think there was stuff about your marriage problems.

The stuff about your autism was quite well done. The stuff about the marriage problems seemed like it was "People like talking about relationships and autism so we're putting this in"

I agree but want to add, because from my perspective its REALLY IMPORTANT, that for at least some of us, our autistic traits make dealing with financial problems harder than they might be for some others. I have problems with anxiety and panic attacks, for example, and everyone seems to link this to my autism. One of the things that will trigger extreme anxiety is certain kinds of financial trouble.

Alone, I would have a very dull financial life because I can't deal with anything else, but relationships with other people have required me to get entangled in financial situations I would never be in on my own. And the experience of this is really hard. Panic is no fun at all. And feeling incompetent because of problems you did not want to be involved in is no fun either.

I have gotten into some bad situations and my relatives have wondered what was wrong with me (pre-diagnosis) once they found out about the Asperger's, they seemed to think my history suddenly made sense.

So I think this is a legitimate issue for a look at the lives of autistics to cover. I'm really glad it was there.