Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2014, 2:24 pm

A study of brain activation in response to distressing images of people in pain, using functional magnetic resonance imaging, has shown that people with ASDs respond the same way as others to the sight of others in pain:

Quote:
Empathy deficits have been considered as an element contributing to social difficulties in individuals with autism spectrum disorders (ASD). Here, we used functional magnetic resonance imaging and short video clips of facial expressions of people experiencing pain to examine the neural substrates underlying the spontaneous empathic response to pain in autism... In contrast to general assumptions, we found no significant differences in brain activation between ASD individuals and controls during the perception of pain experienced by others.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24424389

There is something going on here, Mr Baron-Cohen, but you don't really know what it is.

It would seem that stronger activation of the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex and anterior cingulate cortex in individuals with ASD are connected to Alexithymia and a stronger reappraisal of and regulation of emotions. What has been perceived historically as an absence of emotional response in individuals with ASDs really indicated the stronger emotional regulation they are under.

I wonder, can we get Simon "I'm not in the business of holding on to wrong ideas" Baron-Cohen to retract some of this twaddle, now?

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 4:27 am

Good luck. He's got his theory, don't go expecting him to change his routine now.

Chymistry
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

http://www.psychol.cam.ac.uk/directory/ ... aron-cohen

His email is here. I've emailed him before with some questions and if you bring up you are on the spectrum he is pretty quick to respond.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 11:05 am

Chymistry wrote:
http://www.psychol.cam.ac.uk/directory/simon-baron-cohen

His email is here. I've emailed him before with some questions and if you bring up you are on the spectrum he is pretty quick to respond.

Thanks, I will try this weekend.

Who knows what may result?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 3:19 pm

Did you get a result?

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 6:29 pm

B19 wrote:
Did you get a result?

No.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2014, 5:00 pm

Well, I sent the email to the wrong address. When I tried again, I got an almost immediate reply and I am happy to say that Simon Baron-Cohen does not believe that people with Aspergers have no affective empathy--just impaired cognitive empathy.

This does make sense as a major contributor to the deficits in social communication and is certainly consistent with my experiences of being mystified by the inner lives of others...