Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 9:47 pm

Well that was a ridiculous thing to read....I mean seriously. I like the idea of friends and plenty of adults have close friends that aren't their spouse....also not so sure having a job in itself is always a great thing, I also do not think i would enjoy a lonely job if I were able to work. Clearly that person likes to generalize.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2014, 10:53 pm

1401b wrote:
TheWadeSmellbringer wrote:
http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2013/10/12/3-things-you-need-to-know-about-people-with-aspergers/

Odd I recall hanging out with my friends a week ago, boy am I a fool.

You're doing autism WRONG!!
Stop it!
Get it RIGHT!!

hehe!

Was that humor? I don't understand humor (sarcasm). LOL.

She has a husband who has Aspergers, therefor she's an expert.
She obviously doesn't listen to what her husband says either, I bet even he doesn't agree with her.

PS: Telling me to shut up might hurt me, depnding on how it was said. A kinder set of words that say the same thing wouldn't go astray though.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Oct 2014, 4:25 am

What bothers me the most, is that if you look at all the replies to the article, you'll see that most are thanking this Penelope for the "information". How do you stop the spread of stigma, when so many can quite boldly pass off hypothesis as fact? How do you stop the spread of stigma, when so many fools gobble up the BS hook line and sinker?

Last edited by Moromillas on 03 Oct 2014, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2014, 5:09 am

I don't see anything wrong with having your husband as your best friend.
Of course it could strain the friendship when you tell him he has to sleep in a separate bed and observe minimal physical contact during sex. :lol:

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 7:04 am

I read that and wow, I'm glad you bought that article to my attention, it's worse for us than the one I put up. Being told to shut up though doesn't really upset me because I say things that get on my family's nerves a lot so I'm used to it.

I'm relieved you were okay with me posting it in your thread.
IMO it's bad enough that your family says it, but they are after all family and family are close and can say things in more direct and informal ways. But if a colleague says it like that, it's just not the same thing, because you don't have that level of familiarity or closeness.

League_Girl wrote:
I agree it was over generalized but I wonder what else can the person tell us when they are done talking to you or don't want to talk anymore? I wouldn't tell someone to shut up. There is a guy I have to deal with at work sometimes and he just starts talking and I don't want to listen. I want to play my game or read and there he is yammering away. He cannot seem to see I don't want to talk by what I am doing so I don't feel obligated to listen. I would like to say "I don't want to talk, I want to do this." "I don't want to listen" "I'm working, I don't want to talk." But I don't know the polite way to tell him to be quiet. But thank goodness he isn't around often and I come into work at 5 instead of 15 minutes early so that problem is solved now. Now about when I am working and he sees me and starts talking and I don't want to listen. I still can't say 'I don't want to listen, I'm working" because I don't know the polite way to do it.

You're right that it is a very difficult situation to deal with. I searched for it just now and I found a site that offered some advice that might be helpful. http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/how-do ... way-49272/

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 7:29 pm

Wow, thanks for posting this article! I will have to write a cease and desist letter to this person who keeps hanging around with me for some reason, calling me her best friend. Apparently she can't remain my best friend unless we get married (since we are adults), and I don't think either of us or her boyfriend would want that! If I hadn't read this article, we might have remained best friends for years to come, the horror! (Sarcasm of course).

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 9:58 pm

Quote:
I will have to write a cease and desist letter to this person who keeps hanging around with me for some reason, calling me her best friend. Apparently she can't remain my best friend unless we get married (since we are adults), and I don't think either of us or her boyfriend would want that! If I hadn't read this article, we might have remained best friends for years to come, the horror!

:lol:

Well said, Quill!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2014, 10:17 pm

I'm probably the only one who can actually agree with the thread title, with not having any friends if you don't count my mom and dad.

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Oct 2014, 8:10 am

Throughout school I had one best friend. I had some other friends that were associated with band. In college, I virtually hung out with no one. Today, I don't have friends in the sense that most people do.

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Oct 2014, 4:44 am

I have many friends it just that I don't see them in person all the time but I talk to them on Facebook daily via post comments. Got many on-line friends as well.

FracturedRocket
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 12:46 pm

Funny. I could have sworn all those people I've gone to play pool with were my friends.

Matthaeus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2014, 10:54 pm

I smiled as I read the first point in that first linked blog. Love the comment on "the annoying car." I used to love to speed on the interstate loop, but after getting a ticket and almost another not too long after that, I had learnt my lesson, so I tend to go the speed limit. But that's not always the case, as I get road rage every now and then and honk at inconsiderate people who merge right in front of me almost at the last instant ... that to me is annoying! And it's usually women.

About unwritten rules, I absolute loathe them, as if everyone is supposed to take them for granted...

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:07 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
I found another list by the same... individual... yesterday that really ticked me off. I find this one even more offensive. I hope it's okay to post it here, since it's the same author.
http://mailbag.penelopetrunk.com/2012/1 ... aspergers/

That list is heavily based on stereotypes, like we're always nice, incapable of insulting anyone on purpose or lying, completely incapable of both reading faces and interpreting tone of voice (never mind that we usually get some, and personally I would be weirded out by someone speaking to me monotonously as she suggests). And apparently we see jokes as little lies. I have more problems reading expressions than the average person but I can read some, and I''m rather good with interpreting tone of voice, and the rest isn't true for me at all. But the most "impressive" point on a list of "impressive" points, is number 6. If anyone told me to shut up or they were done talking to me, I would be offended. It's fine to not want to hear more about a subject, but show me respect when stopping it!!

Lol and the comments are now closed. Oh well, I could've given a piece of my mind as well, but you know, people like that don't care about factual info, nor the backlash for stating such falsities. They just close comments and/or delete bad ones to make themselves look good to the community. It's people like her that cause these stereotypes to be proliferated in the first place.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:26 pm

GregCav wrote:
1401b wrote:
http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2013/10/12/3-things-you-need-to-know-about-people-with-aspergers/

Odd I recall hanging out with my friends a week ago, boy am I a fool.

You're doing autism WRONG!!
Stop it!
Get it RIGHT!!

hehe!

Was that humor? I don't understand humor (sarcasm). LOL.

She has a husband who has Aspergers, therefor she's an expert.
She obviously doesn't listen to what her husband says either, I bet even he doesn't agree with her.

PS: Telling me to shut up might hurt me, depnding on how it was said. A kinder set of words that say the same thing wouldn't go astray though.

Actually she doesn't have a husband with aspergers, she has aspergers herself. What she is saying isn't exactly wrong either, it's just overgeneralized to her own rather severe aspergers and at times poorly communicated, which seems likely to be a result of her rather severe aspergers. :P

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

LocksAndLiqueur
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

Just because something is an ignorant stereotype doesn't mean it has to be offensive. For example, there is the ignorant, racist stereotype that all asian people are good at math. Some people find it offensive because it's a racist stereotype; others don't because it's a positive stereotype.

I think it's bad whenever "experts" like this put out terribly misleading information, especially because many people accept is as gospel for some weird reason. However, at least these inaccurate assumptions are positive unlike those of groups like Autism Speaks.