Page 5 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 5:54 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The words "sick", "pathology" 'heal", "prevent the onset" does a lot to undo the very acceptance and lessening of the stigma he is trying to accomplish. And only children were mentioned. Prayers are nice and appreciated, listening to us instead of Autism Speaks is what was needed, but that did not happen. I am not going to say the event was harmful, and that no good came out of the Pope speaking about eliminating the stigma, but a huge opportunity for a lot more was not taken advantage of and that hurts.

Agreed.

Definitely a missed opportunity.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 6:25 pm

Even this could be turned to political advantage if the ASD activists thought, strategised and acted more politically. John Robison is someone who does that from time, though he is part of a very small group of independents who have achieved that kind of street cred.

Given the obvious intelligence, analytical ability and writing skills of many WP members, I wonder why there is not more directed activism to continuously challenge the reigning myths. Just writing a letter to your local paper saying "well I am on the spectrum, and that isn't true of me, it's a myth that was spread by... " is a political act of self advocacy. And if a thousand people write a thousand letters, it becomes a trend..

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Nov 2014, 8:08 pm

B19 wrote:
Even this could be turned to political advantage if the ASD activists thought, strategised and acted more politically. John Robison is someone who does that from time, though he is part of a very small group of independents who have achieved that kind of street cred.

Given the obvious intelligence, analytical ability and writing skills of many WP members, I wonder why there is not more directed activism to continuously challenge the reigning myths. Just writing a letter to your local paper saying "well I am on the spectrum, and that isn't true of me, it's a myth that was spread by... " is a political act of self advocacy. And if a thousand people write a thousand letters, it becomes a trend..

I hear you Brother,

I do make youtube vids to put a human face on us and raise awareness, also to call out the BS to try and remove the stigma, I also partake in any advocacy or political ventures in my area. I don't know what else to do though, the Pope was right about one thing when he says that it's complex, it's also such a large mountain.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 8:22 pm

Great to hear that. Good on you. Pity I can't clone you though.

All great moments started out small. Then momentum gets going, slowly, until there is a critical mass, and then the scoffers start to realise that this means business and start to listen - even if they don't agree at first. We changed a law here in NZ like that, which the status quo thought was written in stone. A grassroots movement with a leader with political nous grew to that critical mass. It's harder to do this in the USA, because of the state government system. But not impossible, as history attests...strength to your arm. Kia Kaha!! (Maori for stand strong)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:05 am

B19 wrote:

There are lot of reasons. The natural inclination against confrontation and preference to be alone. A lot of members are overwhelmed with daily life and there is a lot, a real lot of internalized ableism. As oldsters we have seen radical changes of attitudes, many things that were thought to be impossible come to fruition someone who is 20 has not seen these. WP is great but there is attitude that if you try and silence a prejudicial voice that us a terrible thing you are censoring them, better for it to stay there as an example of how bad NT's are. I ran into that attitude when getting Psychology Today to drop an article by a Job coach who horrible things to say about employability of Aspies. Moromillas was eviscerated for trying to get a gaming site to drop hateful posts. That site would not have been my choice of where to advocate but come on, and you with the "satirical" encyclopedia.

I think it will take us longer then other minorities because of social differences and black and white thinking will make it harder comprising not only with the outside world but also between the factions in our community. But it will happen and happen in an autistic way.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2014, 1:28 am

I don't think it will happen in my lifetime, though I do have faith that it will eventually happen - unless the world self-destructs before the 22nd century.

As for our small efforts, I don't think anything is wasted if it is aimed at destructing the myths, however minor our actions might be. Silence is not consent, though the NT world probably imagines - if they imagine at all - that our collective silence as a force for change in attitude, services etc is consent to the status quo.

We can't wait until the ship of change comes in for us; we have to swim out to it. We are in the water...:)

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2014, 2:41 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Moromillas was eviscerated for trying to get a gaming site to drop hateful posts. That site would not have been my choice of where to advocate but come on,

Ah, you're wondering why that was. That was actually a community I was a part of, for quite a long time, and quite a few of them knew me by name, and I knew a few others by name. It makes sense to advocate, to speak the truth and dispel hatred, when it's a place that's like your home, where you (sort of) know and respect each other.

Bringing IRL political or social problems into gaming is not something I'm for, games should ONLY be about the games, but I sure as hell didn't start bringing that IRL stuff in.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2014, 5:09 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Moromillas was eviscerated for trying to get a gaming site to drop hateful posts. That site would not have been my choice of where to advocate but come on,

It's not letting me edit my posts for some reason.

I realised that games might, strangely enough, be viewed by some as a kind of kids thing. Definitely not true, the average age keeps going up and up, people have basically grown up playing video games and it's now a multibillion dollar industry, bigger than the movie industry, and people are very very serious about their games. I'm sure there are games that would be viewed as "kids games", however these are dwarfed by mainstream games, and even indie games. "Kiddie games" would also be looked down upon by the majority in a similar fashion to casual games.

EpixAndoid
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

But they're absolutely missing the point here: It seems like they didn't want to make the effort to try to develop a loving relationship with God in those (I hate to say it, but children and lower-functioning adults) who can't comprehend such a thing that such a loving Creator willed them into existence in mercy. In this article,(http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/autism ... ing-autism) Robert and Suzanne Wright talk about Christian, but it seems that they aren't concerned about his well-being, as he's a TEENAGER!! ! (let alone his relationship with God...)
Another thing that is intriguing to meis that Bob and Suzy were truly Catholic, they would be promoting autism with a hope to erase the stigma, not trying to get rid of it, as it will create even MORE stigma! They even personify autism, stating "Autism doesn’t care if you’re Muslim, Protestant, or Catholic." Newsflash: Autism is a disability, NOT a demon! (If it was, everyone would need to have an exorcism!) Our kids aren't possessed by the devil, it's just a lack of understanding on the parent's part, as I know of at least one person who claims to be a so-called "expert" who has used her son's disability as an excuse to be entitled to special treatment, rather than convincing her son to NOT BE LAZY!! ! Laziness is a vice! WAKE UP EVERYBODY!! !!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 3:42 pm

[quote="EpixAndoid"]
Another thing that is intriguing to me is that Bob and Suzy were truly Catholic, they would be promoting autism with a hope to erase the stigma, not trying to get rid of it, as it will create even MORE stigma!"

Right on.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 4:20 pm

EpixAndoid wrote:
But they're absolutely missing the point here: It seems like they didn't want to make the effort to try to develop a loving relationship with God in those (I hate to say it, but children and lower-functioning adults) who can't comprehend such a thing that such a loving Creator willed them into existence in mercy. In this article,(http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/autism ... ing-autism) Robert and Suzanne Wright talk about Christian, but it seems that they aren't concerned about his well-being, as he's a TEENAGER!! ! (let alone his relationship with God...)
Another thing that is intriguing to meis that Bob and Suzy were truly Catholic, they would be promoting autism with a hope to erase the stigma, not trying to get rid of it, as it will create even MORE stigma! They even personify autism, stating "Autism doesn’t care if you’re Muslim, Protestant, or Catholic." Newsflash: Autism is a disability, NOT a demon! (If it was, everyone would need to have an exorcism!) Our kids aren't possessed by the devil, it's just a lack of understanding on the parent's part, as I know of at least one person who claims to be a so-called "expert" who has used her son's disability as an excuse to be entitled to special treatment, rather than convincing her son to NOT BE LAZY!! ! Laziness is a vice! WAKE UP EVERYBODY!! ! !

I got a 404 error with that link

ultimafighterbp
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Dec 2014, 9:46 am

If anyone wants to hear my opinion on this, then hear goes. Things that the catholic church is percieving to do with Autism Speaks is going to look extremely ominous. With the fact that the vatican is not allowing any self advocates to speak is usually a bad sign of some sneaky going on, as it's pretty easy to see that they're after the money. Why else would Autism speaks be going and speaking at the catholic church? And what happens when this gets out? We'll be ostricized of course. We won't be able to do nothing unless we outsmart the system which is going to be hard. Unless you read into books which can make your life a lot easier and to which extent the signs are impossible to notice, I don't see nothing else but doing that and also not telling anyone about your diagnosis. Also think of this, What would happen if this got out? Think of the people who are going to be misdiagnosed and how much stuff they have to put up if they get labelled just because they choose not to socialize with people who are rude and ugly to them. It has happened before and once labelled it will be hard to get out of it. So as my grandfather once told me, be as sly as a fox, as sneaky as a marine and unreadable as a poker player.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2014, 4:00 am

Moromillas wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

Ah, you're wondering why that was. That was actually a community I was a part of, for quite a long time, and quite a few of them knew me by name, and I knew a few others by name. It makes sense to advocate, to speak the truth and dispel hatred, when it's a place that's like your home, where you (sort of) know and respect each other.

Bringing IRL political or social problems into gaming is not something I'm for, games should ONLY be about the games, but I sure as hell didn't start bringing that IRL stuff in.

Thanks for explaining. I understand now.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 3:04 am

Text of a letter sent to Pope Francis regarding the speech made by Suzanne Wright (AS) at the Vatican conference earlier this year:

http://autismwomensnetwork.org/an-open- ... sequenzia/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2015, 8:45 am

B19 wrote:
Text of a letter sent to Pope Francis regarding the speech made by Suzanne Wright (AS) at the Vatican conference earlier this year:

http://autismwomensnetwork.org/an-open- ... sequenzia/

Good letter but she missed a chance to emphasize the abortions that are very likely to occur if Autism Speaks gets their way and their research finds a cure. Money is more important then their centuries old anti abortion dogma I guess.

usaneanderthal
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2015, 10:24 pm

curing asd is easy --
get a genetic test --

do it prenatal

then abort all the asd fetuses

simple -- problem solved ----

hey -- it almost worked for downs syndrome.

pretty awful --- but effective.