Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 4:16 pm

http://www.autismparentingmagazine.com/ ... E7PAyKUeNA

The link connects to an editorial published in the January 2014 issue of the Autism Parenting Magazine. The title of the editorial is "Exposing Autism Speaks".

It is not just an opinion-based piece (though the editor's opinions are completely valid from my perspective) - it also contains a breakdown of where the money donated to Autism Speaks goes, and sheds some clarity on what the real, hidden agendas of Autism Speaks are. Please read it, particularly if you are unfamiliar with this topic. We all need to understand this.

Elsewhere in another current thread on WP there is a discussion titled "I left the Catholic Church because of Autism Speaks". It too is an exposure of Autism Speaks, of a different kind - the Vatican has invited Autism Speaks to Rome to represent ASD people at a conference. ASD people have been totally excluded. Perhaps Autism Speaks insisted that we were excluded, though that is guesswork on my part.

Now read on...

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 5:38 pm

Hey, 4% to the end user's not bad!
Ours runs 91%. Of course we don't generate 47.7 million dollars annually, bummer that ASD peeps aren't so good at PR huh?

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 8:10 pm

1401b wrote:
Hey, 4% to the end user's not bad!
Ours runs 91%. Of course we don't generate 47.7 million dollars annually, bummer that ASD peeps aren't so good at PR huh?

So, it's supposed to be a charity and only 4% of their donations actually goes into helping people living with autism. I'd say that's terrible. Good thing that Autism Magazine decided to join the boycott.

By the way, don't you think that this thread would get more replies in the Autism Politics and Activism forum?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2014, 8:36 pm

Yes, it would as you say, though I chose to post it here because these are already well known issues to regular users of the activism forum. I think that bringing these issues to a wider audience on WP is important, as there are issues of general interest involved because Autism Speaks portrays itself as speaking for every one of us, too. I strongly believe that we should all be aware of groups which falsely claim to be acting in our best interests when they are doing the opposite and banking millions.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 12:19 am

light it up blue huh? i actually saw one of the night-lights for that at home depot, thought it was interesting., instantly thought of WP. not that i would buy it.
perhaps that is where their money goes, bogus "slacktivism" like this.

i'd like to read that magazine.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 2:46 am

Moved from General Autism Discussion.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 8:41 am

1401b wrote:
Hey, 4% to the end user's not bad! ...

That means "... one for you, and twenty-four for me ... one for you, and twenty-four for me ... one for you, and twenty-four for me ...", ad infinitum. No surprise that this makes certain "charitable" organizations look like money-grubbing exploiters of other people's misery.

I remember that about 20 years ago, it was revealed that 17% is the aggregate mean percentage of end-user shares for all charities listed under the United Way banner, and THAT means "... one for you, and five for me ... one for you, and five for me ... one for you, and five for me ...", ad infinitum.

Autism Speaks Does NOT Speak For Me!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 2:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
1401b wrote:
Hey, 4% to the end user's not bad! ...

That means "... one for you, and twenty-four for me ... one for you, and twenty-four for me ... one for you, and twenty-four for me ...", ad infinitum. No surprise that this makes certain "charitable" organizations look like money-grubbing exploiters of other people's misery.

I remember that about 20 years ago, it was revealed that 17% is the aggregate mean percentage of end-user shares for all charities listed under the United Way banner, and THAT means "... one for you, and five for me ... one for you, and five for me ... one for you, and five for me ...", ad infinitum.

Autism Speaks Does NOT Speak For Me!

It is nice that the forum's best debater is back. :D

I whole heartedly agree with this statement although I thought 1401b was being sarcastic.

lifelover94
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Oct 2014, 3:23 pm

With the numbers that have been posted on here, it will not be very long until Autism Speaks gets an F rating from Charity Watch

RichardJ
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2014, 5:01 pm

lifelover94 wrote:
With the numbers that have been posted on here, it will not be very long until Autism Speaks gets an F rating from Charity Watch

It will be about time they get an F rating, they've had it coming for over a decade.

KimD
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2014, 10:11 am

B19: I want to thank you for posting that article; I'd become suspicious of Autism Speaks over the years, but the article (and the Boycott Autism Speaks page--specifically the info contained under "Why Boycott?") spelled out both the details and the big picture very nicely.

I wish this information were more readily available to the general public.

pablito305
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2014, 11:00 pm

KimD wrote:
B19: I want to thank you for posting that article; I'd become suspicious of Autism Speaks over the years, but the article (and the Boycott Autism Speaks page--specifically the info contained under "Why Boycott?") spelled out both the details and the big picture very nicely.

I wish this information were more readily available to the general public.

Very good info indeed, I also had been skeptical as seems Autism Speaks was more into looking for a "cure" than helping people live with Autism/ Aspergers.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 2:33 pm

Very telling when the family assistance number is less than the advertising number.

Booyakasha
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 3:10 pm

evilreligion, your last post here was inappropriate for this section of the forum, so it has been removed. You might post in that manner in PPR though.

mikeedwards
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Nov 2014, 3:04 am

Autism patient generally don?t question how their actions, their participation, their enabling of one another, all guided by hate for Autism, can lead to filicide