Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DevilInPgh
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Nov 2014, 3:35 pm

Those self-serving pricks have done nothing for anyone but themselves. I ask for help, they ignore me. I criticize them for inaction on ableist comments from the White House, I get censored and blocked from Facebook and Twitter. To say that I have a better relationship with Autism Speaks speaks volumes about how much I think the politically correct chickenshits at ASAN suck at their jobs. I don't know if Autism Speaks speaks for me, but I sure know that ASAN doesn't!

dimwit79
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Nov 2014, 4:08 pm

DevilInPgh wrote:
Those self-serving pricks have done nothing for anyone but themselves. I ask for help, they ignore me. I criticize them for inaction on ableist comments from the White House, I get censored and blocked from Facebook and Twitter. To say that I have a better relationship with Autism Speaks speaks volumes about how much I think the politically correct chickenshits at ASAN suck at their jobs. I don't know if Autism Speaks speaks for me, but I sure know that ASAN doesn't!

really makes you see the bad side of autistic people doesn't it?

Autistic people can think they know the answer for something and be completely closed mind about seeing it from the other point of view in such an extreme way. Great when they're in the right, but when they're in the wrong it's downright tyrannical. There's nothing so blind as someone who thinks they already know the answer to a question.

That's not to say there aren't autistic people that are absolutely and completely balanced. Just you should never take it for granted. We're great for being considerate in those areas that we regard as important but we have some awful blind spots at times.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:03 pm

dimwit79 wrote:
really makes you see the bad side of autistic people doesn't it?

Autistic people can think they know the answer for something and be completely closed mind about seeing it from the other point of view in such an extreme way. Great when they're in the right, but when they're in the wrong it's downright tyrannical. There's nothing so blind as someone who thinks they already know the answer to a question.

That's not to say there aren't autistic people that are absolutely and completely balanced. Just you should never take it for granted. We're great for being considerate in those areas that we regard as important but we have some awful blind spots at times.

Well written!

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm

they have much to learn if they ever want to be affective

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:30 pm

They did tweet the following about it on October 30

Quote:
Yes, ?Aspergery? Is a Slur and It's Time to Stop Using It || Daily Beast http://ow.ly/DAmzG

Quote:
Disability Should Not be Used as an Insult || Ruderman Family Foundation http://ow.ly/DzHzS

I do think they should do a full press release though.

What exactly did you tweet to them?

EDIT: fixed typo omitting word "tweet"

Last edited by PlainsAspie on 05 Nov 2014, 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 5:42 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
They did the following about it on October 30

Quote:
Yes, ?Aspergery? Is a Slur and It's Time to Stop Using It || Daily Beast http://ow.ly/DAmzG

Oh, good. I can still wear my ASAN T-shirt without shame. But, I agree that the group should publish a statement.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2014, 7:14 pm

Welcome to why I flatly refuse to become an activist.

Because, shortly after people take up activism, they start identifying themselves as activists first and people second.

I really hope ASAN doesn't become the other side of the Autism Speaks coin. That would be sad.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2014, 6:09 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
They did tweet the following about it on October 30

Quote:

Quote:
Disability Should Not be Used as an Insult || Ruderman Family Foundation http://ow.ly/DzHzS

I do think they should do a full press release though.

What exactly did you tweet to them?

EDIT: fixed typo omitting word "tweet"

It is a Daily Beast article in which he commented. It seems like it was not anything ASAN initiated. Thinking that commenting in the Daily Beast is going to get everybody's attention speaks volumes about how Washington Insider he is. I have never gotten a response from them either. When we got a Psychology Today article that had many negative stereotypes about autistic workers withdrawn it was through no help from any Activism group or autistic celebrity. And little help from Wrong Planet members many of whom wanted the hateful words to stay as a demonstration of how bad the NT's are. Mostly it was individual members of GRASP (not GRASP itself) and individual bloggers.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2014, 5:39 pm

Then it's an issue of PR methods, not some self-serving plot to cover someone's ass so to speak.

Genesis
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Nov 2014, 12:32 am

Sorry to hear that....

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 4:22 pm

At least ASAN's got some really great articles against the Judge Rotenberg Center. So I *mostly* trust them. However, like Alex's and John Robison's mistake joining Autism Speaks to change them from within, Ari might be falling into the same trap...

But AUTISM SPEAKS!! Never. They'd have to change their mission, their name, and what they do before they get any support or even peace from me.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2014, 6:14 pm

They really can't choose who covers them. They weren't founded by the chairman of a major TV network.

westernwild
Toucan
Toucan

10 Nov 2014, 11:53 pm

CharityGoodyGrace wrote:
At least ASAN's got some really great articles against the Judge Rotenberg Center. So I *mostly* trust them. However, like Alex's and John Robison's mistake joining Autism Speaks to change them from within, Ari might be falling into the same trap...

But AUTISM SPEAKS!! Never. They'd have to change their mission, their name, and what they do before they get any support or even peace from me.

I hope Ari isn't falling into the same trap, I've had nothing but good dealings with him and ASAN. For those who've never heard from them, remember they are not a high-powered, high-funded, high-falutin' lobbying group and they may not be able to answer every single communication they receive.

And I'm definitely with you on Autism Squeaks, horrid hateful curebie group who've done a LOT of damage to public perceptions. The only group worse is FAAAS, a fascist hate group of the first order and a REAL danger to anyone on the ASD spectrum at all. Like my son. I'll never forget when he was looking at their website several years ago and asked me "mom, why do these people hate me and people like me so much?" Broke my heart, especially since he's a wonderful young man and so are his other aspie friends. Yet AS and FAAAS are working overtime to f**k up their lives however they can in all areas.

Life is not about waiting out storms, but learning to dance in the rain-Anonymous

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 6:25 am

PlainsAspie wrote:
They really can't choose who covers them. They weren't founded by the chairman of a major TV network.

I am not criticizing him for accepting the interview with the Daily Beast and tweeting about it. I am criticizing him for stopping at this point. What media covers and how they cover it is manipulated everyday. As mentioned before that is what PR firms do. I understand most Autistics are going to be poor at this skill. But when you are a lobbying group you have to do this. I am not saying they do nothing. Taking the word "combating" out of the legislation and getting 5 congressmen to write a letter urging increased autistic representation on research is very important. But at this point they seem unwilling or unable to do more. And the freaken White House slurring Aspies should be a priority and a lot more then one interview and certainly more then a statement which is not going to be read by to many people who are not WP members.

What usually happens with movements it starts in the streets/and these days internet gets recognized as a thing and graduates to influencing from within. The gay rights and Tea Party are examples of movements that have changed the society by using this method. That is not wrong "Occupy" could not go past the street. ASAN used to have demonstrations but has stopped that in favor of action from inside. I don't think Autistic/neurodiversity movement has not gotten even near that point where we are ready to "graduate".

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 11 Nov 2014, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:09 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am not criticizing him for accepting the interview with the Daily Beast and tweeting about it. I am criticizing him for stopping at this point. What media covers and how they cover it is manipulated everyday. As mentioned before that is what PR firms do. I understand most Autistics are going to be poor at this skill. But when you are a lobbying group you have to do this. I am not saying they do nothing. Taking the word "combating" out of the legislation and getting 5 congressmen to write a letter urging increased autistic representation on research is very important. But at this point they seem unwilling or unable to do more. And the freaken White House slurring Aspies should be a priority and a lot more then one interview and certainly more then a statement which is not going to be read not to many people who are not WP members.

What usually happens with movements it starts in the streets/and these days internet gets recognized as a thing and graduates to influencing from within. The gay rights and Tea Party are examples of movements that have changed the society by using this method. That is not wrong "Occupy" could not go past the street. ASAN used to have demonstrations but has stopped that in favor of action from inside. I don't think Autistic/neurodiversity movement has not gotten even near that point where we are ready to "graduate".

All true. Another parallel with the LGBT equality movement is that, as more and more (and more) celebrities and politicians came out as LGBT or LGBT-friendly, the world began to see its favorite icons and atheletes and leaders being successful LGBT people without apology for who they are. In politics, the emotion that is most difficult to maintain is anger. Anger goes away quickly, especially in the face of normalcy and acceptance. Most people believe in fairness and equal opportunity. Use THAT theme in the ASD community and watch how fast things change. I believe that, apart from a few mistakes, Wrong Planet and ASAN are generally using that idea and succeeding. The tipping point (especially with all the media portrayals of characters with ASDs) is not too far in the future.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 10:49 am

The gay rights movement didn't get where they are overnight. It took many decades to get where they are now. It'll probably be a few more decades before the autism rights movement gets to that point, maybe even longer.

That'll probably happen shortly before the WrongPlanet update happens :jester: Sorry, couldn't resist

Anyway, I think ASAN falling would be a major setback for us. That said, constructive criticism should be welcome, as that's a way for them to improve.