Autistic Yada, yada?and one parent's point of view? Seinfeld

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 2:29 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
Some people want a certain representation of autism, other people want another, more others want others.
Autism is not clearly defined, so what it is is fluid and can be what different people want it to be.
yup :wink:

autism politics is a bunch of people fighting trying to make there definition of autism the only valid one

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 6:47 pm

whatamess wrote:
Well, I have to say that in all of the groups I have been involved with and just everyday life, I have heard numerous parents "feel sorry for what the parents and the kids deal with on the lower side of the spectrum"?I have ALSO heard, not just from people, but parents of lower functioning children "well, your kid doesn't really have autism, well, your kid is pretty close to normal so you should teach him X while saying some pretty nasty stuff to him." That is my experience over the last 8 years just about everywhere?and I have spoken to parents of more high functioning kids who eventually take their kids out of teams specific for autistic or special needs because of the same.

I deleted my previous response to this, as I felt it was unduly rude. I apologise if you saw it. Parents of HF autistic children do have legitimate struggles and I don't think a greater struggle invalidates the lesser struggle. I guess my jerk reaction was rude because I find your attitude towards the parents of low-functioning children to be highly judgmental, completely inaccurate, and unkind, and it's been an overall difficult couple of weeks, but that does not justify me doing the same thing right back at you. I haven't experienced what you described at all (it seems to me that there are many programs for HFA in our area), but obviously the fact that I don't have a HF autistic child could partially explain our different experiences. I think what you described is unfortunate, if that is indeed the case, and I hope they can create more programs for that target group. Likewise, I hope you can extend some charity to parents of LF children, most of whom really are just doing their best, just like you probably are.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2014, 11:53 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
Some people want a certain representation of autism, other people want another, more others want others.
Autism is not clearly defined, so what it is is fluid and can be what different people want it to be.
yup :wink:

autism politics is a bunch of people fighting trying to make there definition of autism the only valid one

"Zero sum game" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-sum_game is pretty much the way of American politics not just Autism Politics in the last couple of decades.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

evilreligion
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Nov 2014, 4:11 am

whatamess wrote:
Here is my major issue with these parents. Before there was classic autism, PDD-NOS, High Functioning Autism, Aspergers?maybe one more. THOSE parents HATED that ANYONE was labeled "high functioning or Asperger's".

No they didn't hated high functioning autistic people, why would they?

Quote:
The parents of the kids in the lower functioning end of the spectrum always had this attitude that "those on the higher end thought they were better than anyone else, blah, blah, blah".

How do you come to this conclusion? I have never met a single parent of a low functioning autistic child that thought this. I think that maybe they are bit jealous and perhaps hope that their kids will be high functioning. I guess its possible that this might fester and become a hatred as you describe but I have yet to see it happen in the real world. These bitter people would be a small minority in my experience. Most parents I have met are completely sympathetic to all people on the spectrum regardless of were they are in relation to their own kids. I know parents of kids that probably are higher functioning than my son and I know parents of kids that are clearly lower functioning, I feel nothing but love and empathy for all of them and their kids. I know that this love and empathy is returned. I have yet to meet the really snotty parent who differentiates between "grades" of autism. They might exist somewhere, there are dick heads in all walks of life, but I would say they are a very small minority. Well certainly in my experience any way.

Quote:
So the DSM gets changed to everyone has AUTISM in this huge spectrum. Of course, they loved it because it helped put MORE people into the numbers which sound just like a huge epidemic, which in turn allows for more money to be spent to help those under the spectrum.

Again most parents of low functioning autistic kids I know didn't like the DSM changes. The reasons for this is because it tended to trivialise their kids condition. With severely autistic kids having the "same" condition as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and now Seinfeld they are concerned that this will mean people will think that this is how their kids are. When their kids don't do amazing things in science, business or the arts they feel like they will be judged as bad parents. Most parents of low functioning autistic people are pissed off a the DSM changes.

Quote:
Now that they have the support

Please tell me that was an attempt at dark humour?

Quote:
and in many times "more people behind their cause" because now the numbers are through the roof, they COMPLAIN when someone at the higher end of the spectrum speaks about THEIR reality of living with "autism". Really? Sorry, this huge battle is NOT between the people on the spectrum, this battle is between PARENTS and people on the spectrum that are on the high functioning side of the spectrum and that is not right.

Nope. This is a battle between parents and a some misguided changes to the DSM which lumps very different parts of a spectrum together under one condition. Its confusing to the public and so lessens their understanding of all parts of the spectrum.

Quote:
Maybe we should go back to the 5 different types of autism and then when the numbers are 1 in 150 again, the parents can get support for just the lower functioning kids and the rest can just advocate for themselves.

This would seem sensible.

Quote:
By the way, those on the higher end of the spectrum have HUGE challenges.

I agree but they are different to those on he lower end. Also the challenges for parents are generally higher with lower functioning autistic kids. Hopefully most higher functioning autistic people can go on to lead indapendent lives. This is not true for many low functioning autistic people who will remain dependent on their parents until their parents die.

Also is there not a danger that all these celebrity autistics actually diminish the public's perceptions of those challenges?

Imagine the following scenario:

Joe public is seeing all these highly successful people "come out" as autistic and starts to think that autism is not that big a deal. The notion would be that if Seinfeld can succeed with autism then why does the aspergian down the road from me seem to have so many problems holding down a job? Maybe they would just think he is lazy or stupid? He tells me its because of his autism but clearly that can't be the whole story cos it didn't hold Seinfeld and all the other celeb autistics back so what is that guy moaning about? Maybe he is just using autism as an excuse for his failures?

That's the danger of celebrity autistics self diagnosing and coming out. It can be a good thing but too much of it trivialises the very real problems faced by all autistic people.

Quote:
You see, NOBODY questions a parent or an autistic individual on the lower side of the spectrum, nobody judges them.

Again I hope this is an attempt at dark humour or sarcasm but unfortunately I suspect you are actually being serious. Parents of low functioning autistic kids get judged all the time. Perhaps more so now because of the lumping together of all parts of the spectrum. As societies "understanding" of autism becomes more attuned to the aspergers end of the spectrum there is a very real danger that parents of low functioning kids will be judged more harshly. If Joe public perceives typical autism to be Steve Jobs or Seinfeld or Sheldon from big band theory then when confronted with a low functioning autistic kid how might they judge their parents? They might well think that they are obviously rubbish parents and that their child's inability to "succeed" in life must be due to some fault in the parent. The perception may be that autism ain't that big a deal is it? If all those celebrity autistics can make good careers and get on with life then clearly little Jonny's problems can't stem from his autism it must be down to sh***y parenting. Right? And so they will be judged.

Quote:
People on the higher functioning side of the spectrum are CONSTANTLY harassed and judged because of their disability because they "appear normal".

Indeed. I agree there is much work to do. But please don't dismiss the plight of others because of this. Just because you get s**t does not mean the s**t other people get is any less stinky. Low functioning autistic people and their carers get a whole world of hurt as well. They are judged, they are harassed, they are shunned, they are excluded by society and often abused.

WelcomeToHolland
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 5:43 pm

evilreligion wrote:
whatamess wrote:
Here is my major issue with these parents. Before there was classic autism, PDD-NOS, High Functioning Autism, Aspergers?maybe one more. THOSE parents HATED that ANYONE was labeled "high functioning or Asperger's".

No they didn't hated high functioning autistic people, why would they?

Quote:
The parents of the kids in the lower functioning end of the spectrum always had this attitude that "those on the higher end thought they were better than anyone else, blah, blah, blah".

How do you come to this conclusion? I have never met a single parent of a low functioning autistic child that thought this. I think that maybe they are bit jealous and perhaps hope that their kids will be high functioning. I guess its possible that this might fester and become a hatred as you describe but I have yet to see it happen in the real world. These bitter people would be a small minority in my experience. Most parents I have met are completely sympathetic to all people on the spectrum regardless of were they are in relation to their own kids. I know parents of kids that probably are higher functioning than my son and I know parents of kids that are clearly lower functioning, I feel nothing but love and empathy for all of them and their kids. I know that this love and empathy is returned. I have yet to meet the really snotty parent who differentiates between "grades" of autism. They might exist somewhere, there are dick heads in all walks of life, but I would say they are a very small minority. Well certainly in my experience any way.

Quote:
So the DSM gets changed to everyone has AUTISM in this huge spectrum. Of course, they loved it because it helped put MORE people into the numbers which sound just like a huge epidemic, which in turn allows for more money to be spent to help those under the spectrum.

Again most parents of low functioning autistic kids I know didn't like the DSM changes. The reasons for this is because it tended to trivialise their kids condition. With severely autistic kids having the "same" condition as Steve Jobs, Bill Gates and now Seinfeld they are concerned that this will mean people will think that this is how their kids are. When their kids don't do amazing things in science, business or the arts they feel like they will be judged as bad parents. Most parents of low functioning autistic people are pissed off a the DSM changes.

Quote:
Now that they have the support

Please tell me that was an attempt at dark humour?

Quote:
and in many times "more people behind their cause" because now the numbers are through the roof, they COMPLAIN when someone at the higher end of the spectrum speaks about THEIR reality of living with "autism". Really? Sorry, this huge battle is NOT between the people on the spectrum, this battle is between PARENTS and people on the spectrum that are on the high functioning side of the spectrum and that is not right.

Nope. This is a battle between parents and a some misguided changes to the DSM which lumps very different parts of a spectrum together under one condition. Its confusing to the public and so lessens their understanding of all parts of the spectrum.

Quote:
Maybe we should go back to the 5 different types of autism and then when the numbers are 1 in 150 again, the parents can get support for just the lower functioning kids and the rest can just advocate for themselves.

This would seem sensible.

Quote:
By the way, those on the higher end of the spectrum have HUGE challenges.

I agree but they are different to those on he lower end. Also the challenges for parents are generally higher with lower functioning autistic kids. Hopefully most higher functioning autistic people can go on to lead indapendent lives. This is not true for many low functioning autistic people who will remain dependent on their parents until their parents die.

Also is there not a danger that all these celebrity autistics actually diminish the public's perceptions of those challenges?

Imagine the following scenario:

Joe public is seeing all these highly successful people "come out" as autistic and starts to think that autism is not that big a deal. The notion would be that if Seinfeld can succeed with autism then why does the aspergian down the road from me seem to have so many problems holding down a job? Maybe they would just think he is lazy or stupid? He tells me its because of his autism but clearly that can't be the whole story cos it didn't hold Seinfeld and all the other celeb autistics back so what is that guy moaning about? Maybe he is just using autism as an excuse for his failures?

That's the danger of celebrity autistics self diagnosing and coming out. It can be a good thing but too much of it trivialises the very real problems faced by all autistic people.

Quote:
You see, NOBODY questions a parent or an autistic individual on the lower side of the spectrum, nobody judges them.

Again I hope this is an attempt at dark humour or sarcasm but unfortunately I suspect you are actually being serious. Parents of low functioning autistic kids get judged all the time. Perhaps more so now because of the lumping together of all parts of the spectrum. As societies "understanding" of autism becomes more attuned to the aspergers end of the spectrum there is a very real danger that parents of low functioning kids will be judged more harshly. If Joe public perceives typical autism to be Steve Jobs or Seinfeld or Sheldon from big band theory then when confronted with a low functioning autistic kid how might they judge their parents? They might well think that they are obviously rubbish parents and that their child's inability to "succeed" in life must be due to some fault in the parent. The perception may be that autism ain't that big a deal is it? If all those celebrity autistics can make good careers and get on with life then clearly little Jonny's problems can't stem from his autism it must be down to sh***y parenting. Right? And so they will be judged.

Quote:
People on the higher functioning side of the spectrum are CONSTANTLY harassed and judged because of their disability because they "appear normal".

Indeed. I agree there is much work to do. But please don't dismiss the plight of others because of this. Just because you get s**t does not mean the s**t other people get is any less stinky. Low functioning autistic people and their carers get a whole world of hurt as well. They are judged, they are harassed, they are shunned, they are excluded by society and often abused.

Thumbs up for this answer.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2014, 11:59 am

WelcomeToHolland wrote:
whatamess wrote:
By the way, those on the higher end of the spectrum have HUGE challenges. You see, NOBODY questions a parent or an autistic individual on the lower side of the spectrum, nobody judges them. People on the higher functioning side of the spectrum are CONSTANTLY harassed and judged because of their dis
ability because they "appear normal".

Wow, really?

Yah, harsh much.

I saw plenty of judging, this weekend at the local mall.

A 12-15 something LFA was having a full bore melt down in the middle of the food court. Not a whole lot of sympathy being passed around for a 5'6" 150 lbs+ teen flaying and head banging on the floor.

I never felt so bad for the teen and his family, especially after security was called.

It broke my heart.