Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2014, 9:02 pm

India hasn't had the most successful of family planning. It appears to be a case of using a sledge hammer to do the work of a scalpel.

Quote:
...Raghunath Dhondo Karve published a Marathi magazine Samaj Swasthya (समाजस्वास्थ्य) starting from July 1927 until 1953. In it, he continually discussed issues of society's well being through population control through use of contraceptives so as prevent unwanted pregnancies and induced abortions. He proposed that the Indian Government should take up a population control program, but was met with opposition.

In the early 1970s, Indira Gandhi, Prime Minister of India, had implemented a forced sterilization programme, but failed. Officially, men with two children or more had to submit to sterilization, but many unmarried young men, political opponents and ignorant, poor men were also believed to have been sterilized. This program is still remembered and criticized in India, and is blamed for creating a public aversion to family planning, which hampered Government programmes for decades.

Contraceptive usage has been rising gradually in India. In 1970, 13% of married women used modern contraceptive methods, which rose to 35% by 1997 and 48% by 2009. The national family planning program was launched in 1951, and was the world's first governmental population stabilization program. By 1996, the program had been estimated to have averted 168 million births....

WIKIPEDIA.ORG: "Family planning in India: Historical background" (October 23, 2014)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_pl ... background

This latest opinion appears to be among the most honest of India's official family-planning efforts.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm

I've mentioned on this board before that the geneticist who discovered that down syndrome was trisomy 21 was a devout catholic and veneer wanted his discovery to be used as a justification for abortion. Good intentions don't prevent disastrous consequences. 90% of fetuses that test positive for DS are aborted. If there is ever a genetic test for autism, I expect a similar abortion rate. There may be some benefit to genetic research, but it still scares the hell out of me.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2014, 5:33 pm

PlainsAspie wrote:
I've mentioned on this board before that the geneticist who discovered that down syndrome was trisomy 21 was a devout catholic and veneer wanted his discovery to be used as a justification for abortion. Good intentions don't prevent disastrous consequences. 90% of fetuses that test positive for DS are aborted. If there is ever a genetic test for autism, I expect a similar abortion rate. There may be some benefit to genetic research, but it still scares the hell out of me.

Indeed. But, I keep coming back to the question "what kind of person would choose to abort their child for something such as its ASDs or DS?"

Oh, that is correct: the kind who see their children as trendy, fashionable little accessories (like jewelry-wearing Chihuahua dogs) to make the parents "look good" to their friends. Joan Crawford would be proud.

Your opinion about "[g]ood intentions don't prevent disastrous consequences" is a truism.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

The kind of people who would abort a baby with DS or ASD or spina bifida or the whole host of other things they can or would like to test for are not necessarily the people who look at a child like a blinged-out Chihuahua. I wish they were-- those people are relatively uncommon.

They're the people who want to believe in life without struggle. Or that what we should be struggling for is not health, or sanity, or goodness, but PERFECTION. A perfect career, a perfect home (or house), a perfect school record, a perfect compliment of extracurricular activities in which we perfectly excelled, perfect relationships, a perfect society, perfect lives.

The kind of people who would be happy living in the Community as depicted in The Giver. Because it's perfect, and destroys that which is imperfect.

Those are the people you need to be worried about. The starry-eyed idealists. Not the idiot with the bedazzled Shih Tzu.

The starry-eyed idealists with their bleeding hearts are the dangerous ones. And THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 10:45 am

BuyerBeware wrote:
The kind of people who would abort a baby with DS or ASD or spina bifida or the whole host of other things they can or would like to test for are not necessarily the people who look at a child like a blinged-out Chihuahua. I wish they were-- those people are relatively uncommon.

They're the people who want to believe in life without struggle. Or that what we should be struggling for is not health, or sanity, or goodness, but PERFECTION. A perfect career, a perfect home (or house), a perfect school record, a perfect compliment of extracurricular activities in which we perfectly excelled, perfect relationships, a perfect society, perfect lives.

The kind of people who would be happy living in the Community as depicted in The Giver. Because it's perfect, and destroys that which is imperfect.

Those are the people you need to be worried about. The starry-eyed idealists. Not the idiot with the bedazzled Shih Tzu.

The starry-eyed idealists with their bleeding hearts are the dangerous ones. And THERE ARE A LOT OF THEM.

Better written than my attempt. Thank you. Yes, "starry-eyed idealists" are the coming "zombies" that everyone talks about. Just successful enough in life to give them all an undeserved sense of entitlement. When their lives get rough, or collapse completely, their expectations will turn to demands.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2014, 2:46 pm

Last I heard, they had linked some 100 genes to autism. And with each gene there will be nuances involved. Meaning, no way can there be an accurate genetic screening that will predict if a child is really on the spectrum, and where they are on the spectrum. As has been said before, a parent in that situation risks aborting Bill Gates. Parents would be idiots to make that choice, and only the weakest, most insanely fearful, will, IMHO. I just cannot see society as a whole ever concluding it is ethical. If they do, well, I guess we really will have jumped the shark, as the expression goes.

Lukecash12
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:02 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:

Not only that but it seems that deep down, what they really believe is that there are inferior forms of human life and we should be put out of our misery before it starts.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 3:14 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
Last I heard, they had linked some 100 genes to autism. And with each gene there will be nuances involved. Meaning, no way can there be an accurate genetic screening that will predict if a child is really on the spectrum, and where they are on the spectrum.

If there is ever a genetic test, I think the result will be described as "has a high risk of ASD" rather than "has ASD".

DW_a_mom wrote:
As has been said before, a parent in that situation risks aborting Bill Gates. Parents would be idiots to make that choice, and only the weakest, most insanely fearful, will, IMHO. I just cannot see society as a whole ever concluding it is ethical. If they do, well, I guess we really will have jumped the shark, as the expression goes.

I hope you're right.

Asperger96
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2014, 9:40 am

PlainsAspie wrote:

I agree. It's terrifying to think that one, minor scientific advancement would easily mean the end of my people :pale:

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2014, 2:15 pm

This man is evil. Anyone who argues it is wrong to love the disabled is nothing less than that.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2014, 6:53 pm

I hope that man never reaches his evil goal. Another Hitler in the making.

Awilder
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2014, 4:29 pm

Aww, more absurd crap how certain people in society feel that any child or person that might potentially be born with something which presents difficulties in life should be aborted to me tell of a society that must feel that only perfection should be acknowledged.. I could say more about this but, I fill I might come under flak so, I'll simply end with saying autism should not be seen as a plaque upon humanity or any other phenomena which affects persons overall..

We are like the wind,
Wrapped, luminous wind,
We make a road for the spirits to pass over.
For the Spirits to pass over.