Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

chromanebula
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Nov 2014, 1:08 pm

Are there any nasty words directed at members of the AS community? How big of a problem is it?

Or is it more just malicious thoughts rather than hurling insults?

SweetTooth
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Nov 2014, 2:41 pm

I have never been offended, but I have been judged and misunderstood.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 2:55 pm

I've heard that "sperg" or "sperglord" are derogatory terms for AS people. Personally, don't find them all that offensive since they don't have the dark history behind them in the way "ret*d" or certain racial slurs do.

What I do find offensive is "suffers from autism/AS" or "AS/autism sufferer" or worse "AS victim". It's usually not meant to be malicious, but it's still somewhat disrespectful.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2014, 5:15 pm

Yes, it is.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 9:48 am

I don't know what's worse, people who say ignorant and insulting things when they mean well, or people who say such things to be nasty on purpose.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 3:58 pm

B19 wrote:
Yes, it is.

Which comment are you responding to?

B19
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2014, 4:02 pm

Yours. :)

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Nov 2014, 2:00 am

It depends on the context.

Lots of people use words that are really just stand-ins for idiot or stupid. They're not meaning to be offensive to AS people, so I pardon them, am I not merciful?

It becomes offensive when bigoted people call you what you are, but think that being Aspergian is a negative thing. "Suffering from Asperger's" is a good example.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:00 pm

chromanebula wrote:
Are there any nasty words directed at members of the AS community? How big of a problem is it?

Or is it more just malicious thoughts rather than hurling insults?

I've never been insulted because of my AS, but I have been insulted because of my strangeness in relativity to other people.
Whenever I'm insulted, I usually insult them back, but only in such a way that their tiny brains can't comprehend (most of the time, people that insult me are complete idiots that couldn't turn a wheel). There have been occasions where I've actually stated how idiotic it is to insult someone, and that it's even more idiotic that they couldn't come up with a better one. :lol: I crack myself up sometimes.

In all seriousness though, I haven't heard any insults personally about the community, nor about my AS, most of my interactions are online and I don't generally disclose my disorder, mainly because people are judgmental idiots who'd rather go on a witch hunt than learn something for a change.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm

Perhaps we could generate/brainstorm some possible replies to the "you are strange" slur.

Here's mine for the day: "Maybe you are too normal".