This requires urgent attention.Warning: extreme hate speech

Page 5 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 10:43 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
B19 wrote:
The fact that it's satire excuses it, in your view? Not mine. Under the guise of satire, any hate speech aimed at any group is ok? I don't think so. We disagree here, but ok.

I am quite capable of writing satire myself, for example, praising rapists who rape infants and then murder their victims. Would satirical intent make that inoffensive to victims and their families?

Did you read the article? Did it make you laugh? I did, and it didn't.

Satire is often offensive. Much of satire is meant to be offensive.

There are three major kinds of satire. Not all satire is designed for actual laughs.

Horatian - gentle mocking... it takes an affectionate tone and it is the gentlest kind of satire.
i.e. The majority of modern sitcoms, comics, and whatnot... like The Simpsons.

Juvenalian - designed to provoke and cause indignation. Humor is only a secondclass priority in this form of satire.
i.e. Tom Lehrer, South Park, The Onion... and the Encyclopedia Dramatica

Menippean - Can take either of the above tones, but attacks mindsets rather than people or groups of people. It normally more closely resembles
i.e. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy... Alice in Wonderland

Some more specific genres include things like black/dark comedy that yes focuses specifically on the taboo (often extremely taboo. Dark comedy tends to focus on these things: death, depression, suicide, homicide, genocide, cannibalism, sexual perversion (pedophilia, rape, etc.)
So, rapists and murderers are common in this genre.
Not only that, but it is written in a serious manner,
Examples include: Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Crime and Punishment, Hatred, Ghost World, Super Columbine Massacre RPG...

Andre Breton is credited as founding Dark Comedy as a distinct genre under the subset of surrealism (which he also founded.)
As he said in his Surrealist Manifesto (1924), "The purest surrealist act would be to go into a crowd and fire at random."
^would the survivors of any of the recent rampage killings and/or school shooting be offended by a statement like that? Regardless, they would probably be offended when that is incorporated into a work of art.

So, yes, Satire can be extremely offensive. So what?
Offense is not reason to censor. So what if people find it offensive? The only thing you'd be doing is feeding them.

You did forget one other form of satire: Shavian. Read any of George Benard Shaw's plays or criticism of the music of Richard Wagner. The difference from any of the above is that Shaw makes you think while making you laugh, something a lot of modern satire fails to do nowadays.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Nov 2014, 5:27 pm

Don't feed the trolls!! !

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 2:40 pm

I knew I shouldn't have gone on this forum, which I rarely do. I cried myself to sleep once because of some other"satire" saying just plain evil things about us. Now I want to die. I guess we really are worthless if that's how the world in general sees us. Nothing but difficult, psychopathic, brain-challenged weirdos. Maybe the world really is better without us and that is a horrible, horrible thing to have in my mind right now. :(

B19
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 5:57 pm

You are needed and valued on WP and these creeps - who think they write satire, but do not - couldn't even begin to define your worth and the importance of your life. You are worthy and important. Don't let those
smarta..e creeps affect you on a personal level. Oppose sh.ts like that on a political level.

PlainsAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 6:08 pm

Don't let the pathetic people who have nothing better to do than write troll articles determine your self-worth.

alpineglow
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

B19 I didn't click, because these days I automatically assume that they count hits and I don't want to add "mine" to the count. It's not that I don't agree with you. But there is so much negativity and ugliness out there, and attention is what, most likely, they are after. So I am denying the attention. I feel it is, in a negative sense I suppose, pretty much all I can do.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:03 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I knew I shouldn't have gone on this forum, which I rarely do. I cried myself to sleep once because of some other"satire" saying just plain evil things about us. Now I want to die. I guess we really are worthless if that's how the world in general sees us. Nothing but difficult, psychopathic, brain-challenged weirdos. Maybe the world really is better without us and that is a horrible, horrible thing to have in my mind right now. :(

That's not how the world actually sees you, the article was written with the explicit purpose to offend people.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2014, 1:07 am

lostonearth35 wrote:

That is how some troll with no life pretends to view people with aspergers actually, who cares what they think. But yeah I can see it being hurtful but try not to feel bad about yourself over it...the article probably says more about the worth of the person who posted it than you.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 9:33 pm

Encyclopedia Dramatica is nothing but a shock site, where people are free to be a cruel and malicious as possible because "it's funny". You know what's funny? How people always go on about their right to free speech only after being racist, sexist, and completely evil. :evil:

B19
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2014, 9:44 pm

I hear you.