Page 1 of 13 [ 197 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:07 am

I completely agree autism is not a race,ethnicity,religion or sexual orientation?

but respect for people with disabilities and neurological differences is also a valid aspect of diversity.
race,religion,ethnicity and sexual orientation are also 4 different things as well but are all valid aspects of diversity

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 9:44 am

Fruglepug wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... if you don't believe in Neurodiversity, then how do you account for the obvious diversity in human neuropathy?
I don't question neurodiversity in itself - human development is a vulnerable and complicated process, and accidents happen. What I do question is the staunch view that the world has to accommodate people with ASD, rather than people with ASD adapting to the rest of the world. The first step in solving a problem is admitting that it exists - and some autism activists have a long way to go.

So then, you seem to believe that it's entirely up to people with ASD to adjust to the world around them. Some of us can't. What do you propose for those of us who are non-verbal, or who freeze up when people try to force them into compliance?

Cover them with wet blankets? Spray them with a fire hose? Drug them into insensibility?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2014, 11:04 am

Fruglepug wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So ... if you don't believe in Neurodiversity, then how do you account for the obvious diversity in human neuropathy?

I don't question neurodiversity in itself - human development is a vulnerable and complicated process, and accidents happen. What I do question is the staunch view that the world has to acommodate people with ASD, rather than people with ASD adapting to the rest of the world. The first step in solving a problem is admitting that it exists - and some autism activists have a long way to go.

No, it's not a case of wanting everyone else to accommodate to your wants and desires. NTs have this massive support structure, and have a massive leg up, yet what we have, is next to nil. It's about wanting parity, equality, and inclusion, no we shouldn't just be happy that we have nothing. It's about acceptance, like in sci-fi, how all the different species work together, and none of them are claiming superiority.

The idea that neurodiversity is about ignoring people that need help is just nonsense. There are many NTs that need help, or have disabilities, yet we don't paint all NTs with the same brush and write them all off as having a problem that they need to fix, and they certainly don't get disenfranchised over it.

The claim that AS people are damaged, or are an accident as you put, is quite a tall story. You mention "rejecting the medical model", well no, I don't reject it, I question it. Anecdotes and GroupThinks are found wanting, and what you're doing, is simply blindly following it on faith alone.

You seem young, I'm sure you'll understand everything one day.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:15 pm

Finally! This is the point I wanted to make the entire time I posted these threads on this site. Don't worry OP, I think neurodiversity is BS too, I take offense when those with aspergers degrade themselves as a "minority", I also take offense to people who say I need the world to adapt to people like us, because I personally don't need the world to adapt to me.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:17 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
FI take offense when those with aspergers degrade themselves as a "minority"

What's degrading about recognizing the fact that most people don't have Asperger's?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:21 pm

It implies that we can't survive when left to our own devices, which is degrading in my opinion.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:26 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
It implies that we can't survive when left to our own devices, which is degrading in my opinion.

Is that the case for other minorities as well? If I say that I am a minority because I am a lesbian, or non-religious, for example, would you think that I was saying that lesbians and non-religious people can't survive on our own?

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2014, 8:29 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

Just like the OP, you also show your ignorance, and your astounding level of understanding, or lack, thereof. I can only suggest that you read up on what neurodiversity is, as you clearly haven't bothered to read the thread on it.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:34 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

Most humans could not survive if entirely left to their own devices, like out in nature technically speaking. Also the minority part does not imply that, the fact it is a disorder/disability is what interferes with functioning. Don't really see what is degrading about any of that...the only thing that is degrading is the way society sometimes like to kick people around who already have significant difficulties in every day functioning.

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 8:44 pm

All to one's own. But if I was gay/atheist/whatever I do have a right not to make a deal either way about it, I wouldn't push my ways on others, and still associate and find common with non-gay/atheist individuals.

I may be a bit a little hypocritical, but I guess it's because I feel divided from the rest of my friends and family because I am expected to be "proud" of something I didn't choose.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2014, 8:49 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
K_Kelly wrote:

Most humans could not survive if entirely left to their own devices, like out in nature technically speaking. Also the minority part does not imply that, the fact it is a disorder/disability is what interferes with functioning. Don't really see what is degrading about any of that...the only thing that is degrading is the way society sometimes like to kick people around who already have significant difficulties in every day functioning.

True of all humans, including NTs. We're all a product of our respective societies, and the collective knowledge we've gathered. If it were that we each existed in solitude in the woods, with no human contact, our biggest accomplishment might only be creating a fire.

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2014, 8:54 pm

K_Kelly wrote:
All to one's own. But if I was gay/atheist/whatever I do have a right not to make a deal either way about it, I wouldn't push my ways on others, and still associate and find common with non-gay/atheist individuals.

I may be a bit a little hypocritical, but I guess it's because I feel divided from the rest of my friends and family because I am expected to be "proud" of something I didn't choose.

That is, in a way, what neurodiversity is. "Push my ways on others" isn't. How hard would you facepalm should someone tell you, that finding common ground and equal footing is BS?

You're not proud of who you are?

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

25 Nov 2014, 8:56 pm

People cannot change the world. They can only change things for themselves. These things are led to be examples. When these examples come into play, and stay the same, the world around it changes. People need to learn to accept the things they cannot change. there is no other option. I disagree with the OP. it doesn't matter what you think. The world around you is changing. Not you.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 9:04 pm

To adapt to the world is a logical impossibility because there is no unified world to adapt to. The world consists of different societies with different cultures and sub-cultures each with different and possible opposing opinions on different aspects of existence and reality. The maxim "adapt to the world" makes no sense.

Maybe we could adapt somewhat to the culture we're living in but to adapt to the whole has no basis in logic since it assumes the world is a monolithic place when really it is not.

This being said, maybe some cultures and sub-cultures are easier to adapt to and more open minded than others. That being said again, we should try to meet other cultures and sub-cultures half-way. It begs the question, what is the half-way point and if we mess up will they be forgiving and if we must conform to something then how do we conform while still having honor, nobility and virtue?

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2014, 9:07 pm

K_Kelly wrote:

I'm not sure this was in response to me, but I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. I asked you about how you interpret the use of the term "minority," and you are talking about pushing your ways on people and making a deal out of stuff? Is that what you assume people are thinking when they call a group a minority?

Moromillas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Nov 2014, 12:12 am

K_Kelly wrote: