vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 6:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
NTAndrew wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
Arthritis is a bad analogy. Autism is only a disability because society discriminates against autistics. When society stops discriminating against autistics than autism will no longer be a disability. As far as a disability checks these will not be needed because autistics will actually have greater opportunities than nuerotypicals when we live in a discrimination free society. other forms of social safety nets can be constructed that are not based on disabilities.

BS....there are still issues with communication I would have regardless of if NTs overall where more accepting. Also how is it a discrimination free society if autistics would by default have greater opportunities than neurotypicals? Also I hate to break it to you but not all of us have some great talent going for us or super genius brains so stop categorizing us all as a bunch of superior beings.

You mean you can't move objects with your mind and calculate Pi out to 200 digits in your head? Sweetleaf, what is wrong with you?!

I don't know man...I guess I didn't come with a brain calculator.
the problem is that autistics are taught today to be better with understanding abstract concepts.you need to ignore abstract concepts if you want to get in touch with the idiot savant within you.like i always say "abstract concepts are for who cant memorize a dictionary".when i was a kid they sent me to juvinile detention and i memorized the entire movie scared straight and i could resight the whole movie in the exact accents of all the speakers from begining to end.
the technical term for that is delayed echolalia

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 6:50 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
NTAndrew wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:
Arthritis is a bad analogy. Autism is only a disability because society discriminates against autistics. When society stops discriminating against autistics than autism will no longer be a disability. As far as a disability checks these will not be needed because autistics will actually have greater opportunities than nuerotypicals when we live in a discrimination free society. other forms of social safety nets can be constructed that are not based on disabilities.

BS....there are still issues with communication I would have regardless of if NTs overall where more accepting. Also how is it a discrimination free society if autistics would by default have greater opportunities than neurotypicals? Also I hate to break it to you but not all of us have some great talent going for us or super genius brains so stop categorizing us all as a bunch of superior beings.

You mean you can't move objects with your mind and calculate Pi out to 200 digits in your head? Sweetleaf, what is wrong with you?!

the problem is that autistics are taught today to be better with understanding abstract concepts.you need to ignore abstract concepts if you want to get in touch with the idiot savant within you.like i always say "abstract concepts are for who cant memorize a dictionary".when i was a kid they sent me to juvinile detention and i memorized the entire movie scared straight and i could resight the whole movie in the exact accents of all the speakers from begining to end.

hmm well what is wrong with abstract concepts?

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 6:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
NTAndrew wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

nothing but being an idiot savant is so much more fun

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2012, 7:21 pm

vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
NTAndrew wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

I am familiar with the term savant, not sure what an idiot savant is...but not sure it's something I'd want to be.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 1:48 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
vermontsavant wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
NTAndrew wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
androbot2084 wrote:

I am familiar with the term savant, not sure what an idiot savant is...but not sure it's something I'd want to be.
Idiot savant was the original term for autism in the old days.the term was coined by john langdon down in the fifties.it meant people who had amazing abilities juxtaposed against major deficits.today autism is viewed as people with talents in many thing but difficulties in social interaction but in those days the socials deficits were viewed as part of mental retardation and thats why they called us idiot savants

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 12:24 pm

Even today most of my bosses regard me as an idiot and they consider me borderline mentally ret*d and a slow learner who is not worth the extensive time it takes to train me. However a few bosses dare to recognize my savant skills but that is used against me because that means that I dare to think that I am better than other people.

SpiritBlooms
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 2:00 pm

androbot2084 wrote:

Someone needs to look up the definition of "spectrum" as in spectrum disorder.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 3:11 pm

Unfortunately the medical establishment is biased against autism because they consider us a disease. The medical establishment loves to shame us by pointing out lower functioning autistics while ignoring the reality of lower functioning nuerotypicals.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 4:00 pm

androbot2084 wrote:
Unfortunately the medical establishment is biased against autism because they consider us a disease. The medical establishment loves to shame us by pointing out lower functioning autistics while ignoring the reality of lower functioning nuerotypicals.

Ah, but you forget. Lower-functioning neurotypicals aren't neurotypical, and higher-functioning autistics aren't autistic.

At least by their logic.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2012, 5:03 pm

A nuerotypical can be considered lower functioning than a highly gifted autistic. Even higher functioning autistics are considered borderline ret*ds by most of society including the medical establishment. An autistic may be a slower learner which is why autistics are considered ret*ds but the depth of the learning is much less superficial.