Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:33 pm

Saw a commercial for autism speaks (I know I know autism speaks is bad) and there was this article dated yesterday.

http://www.autismspeaks.org/science/sci ... rises-1-88

My favorite segment “The CDC’s new estimate of autism prevalence demands that we recognize autism as a public health emergency warranting immediate attention,” says Autism Speaks Chief Science Officer Geri Dawson, Ph.D.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 4:48 pm

Translation: "The mutants are taking over! Run for the hills!" :twisted: :roll:

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

I love how they think that South Koreans have a 1:38 ratio of autistics to normals. *cough*Different mannerisms*cough*

Fun things I've learned from my Korean friends: It's rude to look people in the eye. You're not supposed to touch, you're supposed to bow. It's rude to gesture with your hands. It's rude to make facial expressions.

Lots of things that Aspie kids don't do to begin with are rude to do in Korea. Lulz. =P

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:09 pm

autism levels rising does tie in rather nicely with the krystal children story

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:10 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
autism levels rising does tie in rather nicely with the krystal children story

What is that?

thedaywalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:14 pm

its this story about earths frequencys raising creating new kinds of people its all over the internet you could look it up

questor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 5:29 pm

I like the responses from Pezar and LennyTheWicked. Yes, there are definite differences in basic "public" behaviors from one culture to the next. Oriental cultures do tend to be more low key, and not so into physical and other types of social contact, except with close friends and family. Personally I agree with that. Pezar's comment about the mutants taking over is good, too. The NT herd feels very uncomfortable around non herd members. They prefer that we either change to conform, or stay out of sight, or go away altogether, or best of all, not exist.

I'm different, but not a mutant. Also, I am not going to conform to a mold that doesn't fit, and I am not going away, or ceasing to exist. I do stay home, and out of sight most of the time, but that's mostly because of my other health problems.

As for the CDC declaring spectrum disorders a public health emergency, I don't see that. Sure it's a problem, and some of us can be helped with treatment, but it's not contagious. This statement of theirs seems to imply that we are a danger to society, and I resent that. But what can you expect from ignorant NT "experts." :roll:

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 6:49 pm

One good thing that comes from so much media attention is that at least people are asking a lot more questions, instead of ignoring Autism as "not my problem."

I do have some problems with the way it's being reported for the most part though.

http://sanjayguptamd.blogs.cnn.com/2012 ... as-autism/

Notice in this and many other reports that they talk a lot about the sudden rise, concerns about what really causes Autism and whatnot, and even that "We're paying more attention to it" as being another reason for the sudden rise (IOW: It's being diagnosed more, and not being missed as much), but...

Hardly ever does one hear that one of the reasons could very well be that diagnosis of much higher functioning forms of Autism than in the past are also very likely to be a reason the numbers are rising. Thus, I do think a lot of news watchers and readers see reports like this, and think only of lower functioning Autism, as if 1 in 88 has full blown Classic Autism, which is clearly not true. This, I believe, contributes to a kind of mass hysteria the likes of which videos and articles from Autism Speaks frequently help to create.

It's not an accurate picture, and the media and medical professions both, in general, are not doing enough to educate the public.

The public should know that Autistics who can function on their own to a great extent is one very important reason these numbers are rising. That it is not a scourge, not the impending end of the world, nor the impending end of normalcy.

NO! It isn't as bad as the picture the media allows to exist in people's minds, but it is worthy of attention. I just wish the attention it did get, painted the complete picture instead of letting the public conjure pictures of their own that are not accurate at all.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

AScomposer13413
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 6:53 pm

pezar wrote:
Translation: "The mutants are taking over! Run for the hills!" :twisted: :roll:

Funny you use the word "mutant". That instantly put me in mind of this (skip to 6:30):

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqczoZYaGeg[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 6:54 pm

thedaywalker wrote:
its this story about earths frequencys raising creating new kinds of people its all over the internet you could look it up

that is not how evolution works.

ruveyn

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 6:55 pm

Ohhh, Zeeeeeee End Zeeeeeee Normalcy, pleeeeeeez letz eeeeeeet happpen soooner laaater.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 6:58 pm

ruveyn wrote:
thedaywalker wrote:

that is not how evolution works.

ruveyn

He never said he thought that is how evolution works, he was explaining something

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Mar 2012, 8:20 pm

I'm still not convinced that ppl with aspergers aren't just ppl who've been 'given' a disease by a system that seeks to create elitism and programs those who are not part of the elite to act in a certain way so that others can stay away from them.

Not long ago I would have fit the mold as a recluse... but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I was a recluse because what I knew didn't fit what others know and what other's know is more a convention of knowing each other. I on the other hand had some traumas I never dealt with and got left out of all the reindeer games and never learned the conventions. They are pretty easy to recognize now as time goes on.

Or it's programming from disapproving mothers who want to make you fail.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:43 pm

MrXxx wrote:
Hardly ever does one hear that one of the reasons could very well be that diagnosis of much higher functioning forms of Autism than in the past are also very likely to be a reason the numbers are rising.

Not true. I watched Good Morning America, and the psychologist/statistician that they interviewed corrected the interviewer on his statement of, "Wow, that's not good..." by saying, "Well, we're better and spotting it, and teachers recognize it, and we're finding milder forms." He never specifically said "Asperger's" but he did say milder forms. It's a start, and I'll take it. Thank you, random statistician psychologist man.

LennytheWicked
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:46 pm

webcam wrote:
I'm still not convinced that ppl with aspergers aren't just ppl who've been 'given' a disease by a system that seeks to create elitism and programs those who are not part of the elite to act in a certain way so that others can stay away from them.

Not long ago I would have fit the mold as a recluse... but the more I think about it, the more I realize that I was a recluse because what I knew didn't fit what others know and what other's know is more a convention of knowing each other. I on the other hand had some traumas I never dealt with and got left out of all the reindeer games and never learned the conventions. They are pretty easy to recognize now as time goes on.

Or it's programming from disapproving mothers who want to make you fail.

You know, I used to think something similar, until I started having seizures and bouts of depression, migraines where by spine and skull meet, etc... I have a neurological condition, and Asperger's is a neurological condition.

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 9:55 pm

LennytheWicked wrote:
MrXxx wrote:
Hardly ever does one hear that one of the reasons could very well be that diagnosis of much higher functioning forms of Autism than in the past are also very likely to be a reason the numbers are rising.

Not true. I watched Good Morning America, and the psychologist/statistician that they interviewed corrected the interviewer on his statement of, "Wow, that's not good..." by saying, "Well, we're better and spotting it, and teachers recognize it, and we're finding milder forms." He never specifically said "Asperger's" but he did say milder forms. It's a start, and I'll take it. Thank you, random statistician psychologist man.

He said hardly, not an absolute statement. So providing one answer does not disprove what he said.