Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

skywatcher
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Sep 2008, 3:21 pm

If I were President of the United States... circa 2020/24
I probably would only consider issues of merit to consider. I would only look at abortion if I could fix the debate, I would probably fix the whole creationism/evolutionism debate by just not having either one being taught in schools and substituting a half term genetics and a half term physics class in its sted. Seriously, we'd kick butt worldwide if we did that.
I would loosen constraints on teachers regarding their curriculum - give them a course, they teach it according to their wishes. I would tighten the noose on sexual predators in the teaching profession with the addition resources gained by that move.
With regard to autism, I would invest in research for further treatment of autism, dump billions into it, create ASD clinics and specialized care facilities all across the country. I would invest in the education of new psychiatrists, neurologists, and physicians to treat ASD's within 5-10 years, to offset the higher influx of patients. I would also invest similarly in new counselors and social workers as well. There are also many other programs, such as autism services, that need greater funding. This keeping in mind a larger influx of people with ASDs in the next decade.
I would keep the Moon Program, if its still running, but I would scrap any further programs beyond that in favor of safer and more ~ ambitious ~ alternatives. In other words, I would attempt to use fusion propulsion to send a three person crew to beyond the asteroid belt and back within 5 years of me becoming president. I would then attempt to have a faster than light engine built in the mean time, built into a second fusion powered spacecraft, and this spacecraft sent to at least so far as beyond the orbit of Pluto and back within a day. The main goal here is commercialization and colonization of space. Corporate vouchers should be made available after the craft are show to be spaceworthy enough and there is a viable method of bringing material back down to Earth.
I would transform our transportation network. Jet liners would have engine refitting, at the very least, if not scrapping them entirely for new forms of air travel. Cars that travel on fuels (includes electric) other than gas will be funded. Mass transit will be funded in most cities.
I would build fusion reactors to power the planet. I will build solar, wind, geothermal, and hydo plants to produce clean green energy.
I would regulate recylcing such that nothing is gone to waste.
I would have building materials for housing made out of generally non-flammable materials to prevent major fires.

As per other issues, such as healthcare, that is a wait and see issue. Considering I would and can only run in 2020, possibly, but most likely 2024, it is entirely likely that heathcare would not be an issue or would otherwise be an issue in a different form. Issues such as the economy have to be met as they come - I can't just say I have X plan for Y economy. There are infinite possbilities for what Y economy may be, and even at that, I would be lucky to provide you with answers to any economy without first consulting some people who actually know something about economics. Finally, social security and general welfare is something that should be changed lest we not have this offered to every generation subsequent to this one - how to change social security or general welfare programs is a sensitive issue, but I personally don't believe in creating huge sums of taxes to pay for those programs (which stiffles the economy for the benefit of a few) nor do I believe is generally writing off all of these programs. I believe that everyone who is truly in need should receive aid from the government for their needs, should those needs not be availble to be met elsewhere. That definition, if in its strictest and yet most merciful sense, should exclude the greater part of the squatters to the social welfare system. I believe also that no one should not work, unless they have ample reason not to. If you are unemployed, the government should provide employment in the construction of great public works projects, building the future or refitting the past. You don't have to work in this, but you most certainly can reap the benefit of the experience, benefits, pay, housing, and possibility of permanent housing constructed by you and your fellow workers, as opposed to NO AID ~ if you have no legitimate disability, and can work, then there will be no government check for you unless you want to kill your retirement fund.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2008, 9:26 pm

Are you a White Christian with a lot of money...?

ShadesOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 5:17 pm

Ishmael wrote:
Are you a White Christian with a lot of money...?
That just about summed it up. That's pretty much the criteria.

Anubis
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2008, 5:39 pm

Hmmm.... looks like I may have potential competition.

I very much agree with a massive increase in space travel. Wait, you don't seem to be increasing planetary programs. Space is not safe. Astronauts always take that risk, for now, at least. We shouldn't be cutting back on inner system exploration.

FTL travel won't be around for at least another 30 years.

However, I have to disagree with massively increasing the amount of social workers. A moderate amount would do the trick.

And wind power isn't very efficient or reliable. Neither is solar. Nuclear, definitely.

It isn't as simple as just forcing people to work. I don't think that people should work if they don't want to, but should be given strong incentives to do so. We should eliminate forced labour in all its forms, even if some people are complete lazy bums. Only provide enough welfare to cover basic living costs, nothing luxurious. Perhaps a voucher system would ensure that benefits are only spent in particular places. Food, clothes, fuel, utilities, etc. Also, yes, there must be enough jobs for everyone.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2008, 2:09 am

Vote for Techno Viking!

Woodpeace
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Sep 2008, 4:51 am

For which party would you run, skywatcher? Or would it be as an Independent?

skywatcher

04 Oct 2008, 9:58 am

1. I would run independent. I don't really lean far enough into a party to run for one of them.
2. I agree that inner planetary travel is a first priority - I was largely speaking of the engine technology (which is sorely lacking at this point) and projects which could provide a working economy is space (which Near Earth Asteroids, mercury, and mars (and the moon) are the best bet for any sort of economical gain near term, then we worry about anything else, but I want to make the time scale quicken up a bit).
3. You must have misunderstood, I do not wish to "force" anyone to work, and I wish to give them a huge amount of incentives to do so. However, I also wish to provide penalties for people who otherwise are capable of working - many people in America are simply unemployed without any cash living in another person's home (family) too prideful to reap welfare - this is typical, from what I understand, of the temporaly enemployed, and for the chronically enemployed who may not have that chance of living with another friend or family member, having the opportunity for a definite job could be something great to them, but it is not forced upon them, like anything else in this country.
4. Yes, I am white Christian, and I'll be excited for my monetary situation when I have enough money to buy a $1500 used car, after perhaps six months to a year of saving. In other words, I'm flat broke. It also never occurs to me to try to convert people. I'm just too busy too. I don't enjoy the arrogance and the arguments involved in the whole situation. I guess that's an aside. I have several ideas that if I actually get them off the drawing board, could get me both the money and fame needed to do this, even if I run independent.

I hope this answers your questions. Sorry about the delay, I'm new to this, and just now saw the button that allowed me to click on to check my old posts.

Ishmael
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 10:06 am

Sorty, buddy, but to farfetched and optimistic. WW3 is coming up, too ;)
If you're still alive by 2013, and interested in extra terrestrial travel, maybe I'll let you work for me.

skywatcher

04 Oct 2008, 10:15 am

Yeah, that's why I have the basic escape plan.
Run like heck for Mexico!! !

Orwell
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 11:10 pm

skywatcher wrote:
If I were President of the United States... circa 2020/24
I probably would only consider issues of merit to consider.

By whose estimation?

Quote:
I would only look at abortion if I could fix the debate

??? :?

Quote:
I would probably fix the whole creationism/evolutionism debate by just not having either one being taught in schools

That's not a fix, douche. Students should be taught science.

Quote:
and substituting a half term genetics and a half term physics class in its sted.

Um... there's not a whole class on evolution that you could do that with. Besides, a working knowledge of evolution is essential to understanding genetics.

Quote:
I would loosen constraints on teachers regarding their curriculum - give them a course, they teach it according to their wishes. I would tighten the noose on sexual predators in the teaching profession with the addition resources gained by that move.

I don't think the US President would be involved in such specific details of local school administration.

Quote:
With regard to autism, I would invest in research for further treatment of autism, dump billions into it, create ASD clinics and specialized care facilities all across the country. I would invest in the education of new psychiatrists, neurologists, and physicians to treat ASD's within 5-10 years, to offset the higher influx of patients. I would also invest similarly in new counselors and social workers as well. There are also many other programs, such as autism services, that need greater funding. This keeping in mind a larger influx of people with ASDs in the next decade.

Where exactly are you finding all this money?

Quote:
I would keep the Moon Program, if its still running,

It's not.

Quote:
In other words, I would attempt to use fusion propulsion to send a three person crew to beyond the asteroid belt and back within 5 years of me becoming president.

lol, fusion engine. You're funny.

Quote:
I would then attempt to have a faster than light engine built in the mean time, built into a second fusion powered spacecraft, and this spacecraft sent to at least so far as beyond the orbit of Pluto and back within a day.

I take it you've never studied physics. You can't go faster than the speed of light, and as far as going to Pluto and back within a day, you need to take relativity into account, which I'm guessing you haven't.

In short, I would not vote for you.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2008, 11:32 pm

Orwell wrote:

Quote:
I would probably fix the whole creationism/evolutionism debate by just not having either one being taught in schools

That's not a fix, douche. Students should be taught science.

Quote:
and substituting a half term genetics and a half term physics class in its sted.

Um... there's not a whole class on evolution that you could do that with. Besides, a working knowledge of evolution is essential to understanding genetics.

I agree, as a matter of fact, a working knowledge of evolution is basically required to make sense of most of modern biology. You're not going to fix an issue just be avoiding it, all you'll end up with would be stupid students.