Hair Salons - Can you manage them? *survey included*

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

SuperInferior
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2014, 6:44 am

I know I'm not the only one who has issues with Hair Salons. I think generally hair salons aren't disability friendly or flexible enough for customers with sensitive needs, and one consideration is how Autistic friendly salons are and how I could improve that.

Some of my considerations are that they're incredibly rough on your hair sometimes, the fact they want to chat to you can be a bit off-putting or uncomfortable. If you have chemical sensitivities, or are light/sound sensitive it can be really difficult to manage salons. Along with physical disability accessibility being pretty questionable.

I think these things are totally avoidable and something I aim to change myself. But to do that I need to know what you guys find the positives and negatives of hair salons. What your problems have been, if they make you avoid salons and what you'd like to see changed.
Shameless market research here, but I really would love your input. I have a Super Short Survey; 2 minutes maximum, but he feedback would be so, so valuable.

I'd absolutely love if you took my survey (and there are opportunities for comments in the survey) but replies here are also extremely welcome.

Click here for the Short Survey =]

I need your help to make a change!

AQ: 35 (8/10), SQ: 81, EQ: 12, FQ: 82,
RAADS-R: 179 (Language: 18, Social: 77, Sensory/Motor:49, Interests: 35)
Alexithymia: 167

Alexithymia forum: http://alexithymia.createaforum.com/

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 7:03 am

I took the survey -- mostly what you mention, too bright, too noisy, rough handling (I once got my face cut by scissors!) and too much chatting.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 7:35 am

Done.

Personally I don't mind the chatting (they usually talk to other customers since I won't answer anyway, I'm getting a slight shutdown when on the chair) or the noise (although hairdryer or trimmer is definitely not pleasant). My biggest problem are touch sensitivities. The chair they use to wash your hair hurts my neck, the trimmer feels unpleasant, the hairdryer blow is too hot. And the hair tickle, especially on my face when they do the fringe. Oh, and I always find some hair pieces under my clothes although they use the cape to prevent it. It tickles till I change the blouse/sweater. And the piece of cloth tickles even after I do the laundry.
About light - I keep my eyes closed nearly all the time since I don't want hair in my eyes and I am scared of the scissors near my face so light isn't a problem.

SuperInferior
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Oct 2014, 9:59 am

Thanks for taking it and the feedback so far! =]

A big complaint across the board so far has actually been the discomfort of the sinks, they can really cause damage.
Last time I went to a salon I ended up with welts and bruising on my neck from the sink! =/ It really needs looking into.
And thanks for the mention of the capes as to be honest they probably could do with improvements! =]

If they just asked before hand if you'd like to chat or just relax it'd make such a difference!

I need your help to make a change!

AQ: 35 (8/10), SQ: 81, EQ: 12, FQ: 82,
RAADS-R: 179 (Language: 18, Social: 77, Sensory/Motor:49, Interests: 35)
Alexithymia: 167

Alexithymia forum: http://alexithymia.createaforum.com/

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2014, 3:10 pm

Done.

Mainly the bright lights, type of noise, obligation to talk, difficulty conveying what I want done and having that complied with, difficulties staff seem to have with my hair type (I'm mixed race), cost, tactile sensation.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2014, 3:46 pm

I don't really have issues with getting my hair cut...

Beside the expense that is :lol: I pay more at the place I go to, but the hairdressers in there are always good, and always ask exactly what you want done.. I used to be frequent on a long hair forum and the horror stories in there were not funny (not asking you what length you want cut and just chopping away, perms gone wrong, etc)

I found one girl in my usual place, she is awesome, but I fear she is not there anymore. I'm due for a trim and when I walk by the place she's never there. I only had to explain to her once what I wanted and she got it. I've had hairdressers ask me more than once, either I am not explaining it right or they just don't get it? My instructions are not that complicated! And she would always show me with the scissors where she was about to start cutting - "is this much off ok?" Not all of them do that.

I actually find it relaxing to have my hair tended to by someone who knows how to brush long hair. Granted, I don't like the feeling of it being untangled, but I try to go in with it perfectly detangled and if the person doesn't smush it too much shampooing it it'll stay ok.

I like having my hair washed by someone else. Usually they have the water too hot at the start but once I've mentioned it they are happy to change it. My only objection is they probably use products that are tested on animals - I want to ask if they have products that aren't but I never want to make a fuss about it when I'm there. At home I never use anything that doesn't say Not Tested on Animals.

Once it's detangled and she's cutting, I find I relax. Something about the feel of the comb going down the whole length of wet hair, perfectly smoothly...

I don't like the bits of hair down my collar either, but I have been told by more than one hairdresser that they've got the cape at it's tightest at the neck and there's still a gap - one actually told me I "have a tiny neck"! :lol: So I expect to get the bits down my shirt but that's my parents fault for giving me a tiny neck LOL

I don't find I mind alot if the person talks to me.... unless they start talking about their kids... if they talk to me about something I can relate to I usually chat with them....

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

Tizerize
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Oct 2014, 6:09 pm

One annoying little thing they often do is: when they've finished, and hold up a hand mirror so you can see the back, they don't hold it in the right place (or for long), so you have to ask for it and (if the hand mirror is too small +/ your eyesight isn't great) move closer to the wall mirror, which they don't seem to like.
However, as I said in your survey, i do my own hair (have done most of my adult life) ~ it can take hours and doesn't always come out how i wanted, but i resent paying for someone else to do the same (good / not so good) job quickly when that would involve 'breathing' in toxic stuff like hairspray and perming chemicals.

mjay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2014, 2:21 am

for me, hair salons usually result in a meltdown for numerous reasons, many highlighted above. Reading through though, I can add this extra point.
>The head massage. Seen as a luxury and feels absolutely horrible to me most of the time. The worst is when they massage your temples...why they go near them, i'll never know.

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 2:43 am

I've only been to one once. I don't see how it could possibly be a pleasant experience. It'd be nice if they didn't talk, but the unavoidable touching is awful.

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2014, 3:29 am

I've always hated going to the barber's, and I'm the sort of person who likes going to the dentist. I don't like people touching my head, but chatting is usually the worst part because I'm pretty much incapable of basic small talk, especially when the conversation inevitably turns towards something like sports, which I know nothing about. I get all tense whenever they start talking to me.

However, I ultimately solved that problem by going to another barber shop which was not only much cheaper, but was run by heavily-accented Korean stylists who never say a word to me except asking me how I want my cut. They still touch my head, but it's a lot less stressful.