Is it bad to inhale steel dust once?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2015, 7:00 pm

Today at school we were forced to go at some plumber class thing for 2 hours, during this time I had to weld copper pipes together and cut through steel pipes - They didn't give us dust masks or respirators or s**t. When I came tonight I used a nose tissue and the booges were all black colored and gritty. Will it have a bad effect on my lungs?

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2015, 3:08 pm

As a mechanic I have had a lifetime of such discoveries in my handkerchief. my face has been black from the use of a grinder, I am nearly 57 and can still climb stairs that leave the young ones breathless.
Lungs are self cleaning.

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 2:37 am

Most of the crap probably got stuck on your nose hairs or nose mucus. I remember sometimes getting that from making campfires and such.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 2:34 pm

happen a lot while sanding in wood shop with mask on.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2015, 2:45 pm

As long as the pipes weren't wrapped with asbestos, you should be fine. :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:38 pm

Probably one time is not going to kill you.
I inhaled silica gel up my nose a few times.

ajpd1989
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2015, 11:43 pm

I doubt it. I've inhaled worse and I'm fine.

What were you using to cut the steel pipes?
We used chop saws with abrasive wheels when I was in school. Made a huge shower of sparks.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 12:25 am

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... -unhealthy

the above link gives lots of opinions.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 2:50 am

Aluminum dust is worse.

Eye protection is really important, at the very least wear a disposable mask, they are cheap, and act as a barrier to all but the finest of dust. You need a respirator with carbon filters for aerosols and solvents, plus ventilation (preferably a dedicated fume hood or chamber)

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 5:51 am

I'm sure I've inhaled my fair share of metal dust, and I'm relatively OK. I can't say I've ever welded pipes or anything like that before, I'm actually kind of jealous that they teach that sort of stuff at your school! 8O I wish I had the chance to do cool s**t like that in junior high!

Now, that being said, I think it's quite stupid that they never gave you any sort of PPE (personal protective equipment). It's mandated by law here that workers use and have access to proper PPE. Do some research on work safety, and make a case to your school about it. Hopefully they at least gave you eye protection, as you would be risking welder's flash or chunks of metal in your eyes otherwise. A person's lungs can take a substantial amount of abuse, but the same can't really be said for your eyes.

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2015, 7:17 am

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
I'm sure I've inhaled my fair share of metal dust, and I'm relatively OK. I can't say I've ever welded pipes or anything like that before, I'm actually kind of jealous that they teach that sort of stuff at your school! 8O I wish I had the chance to do cool s**t like that in junior high!

It was just some sort of "activity" in some pre-university diplomas, also, I'm in 9th grade

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Now, that being said, I think it's quite stupid that they never gave you any sort of PPE
Well at least we had protective glasses and helmet - But those don't filter the air.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2015, 11:54 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It was just some sort of "activity" in some pre-university diplomas, also, I'm in 9th grade

9th grade is considered junior high here, even though my grade 9 year took place at a high school, due to how things were organized in my old town. But still, it's cool that you got to do pre-university stuff that young. There was a program I could've gone into in middle school if I wanted to pursue trades, but it would've required me to skip a lot of classes and do a lot of extra homework, as well as possibly take lower-level courses. I regret not going into it though, because I very well could be a welder or a pipefitter by now, and not an undereducated welfare bum.

mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
Now, that being said, I think it's quite stupid that they never gave you any sort of PPE
Well at least we had protective glasses and helmet - But those don't filter the air.

Well, at least they gave you that. I still would have given out respirators, or at least welding masks. They gave you the properly tinted goggles for welding with, right?