Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mechanicalgirl39
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 1:19 pm

DW_a_mom wrote:
This isn't in response to the OP's question; more about the subsequent line of discussion.

I've had low pressure most of my life, and a constant craving for salt. I've kind of figured the two go hand in hand. I did read the link, above, and weight loss has not, unfortunately, ever been my problem (unexplained weight gain, however, frequently is), so that theory seems to be out the window.

I remember years ago cutting back on my salt because everyone kept harping on it, and the result was an increase in dizzy spells. Stopped cutting back, and the dizzy spells ended.

I think some of us just need more salt. As long as blood pressure is healthy, that should be OK.

I once had to give up salt for a while because my adrenals were *hyperactive* (the medulla, not the cortex. I had excessively high adrenaline...) The orthostatic hypotension got way worse. As in nearly passing out whenever I stood. Some health advice that was!! !

Kassiane
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Apr 2010, 1:45 pm

If you're thinking you might have adrenal insufficiency, see a doctor.

Seriously.

If you go into crisis, first responders aren't going to be looking for that. They're going to be doing everything BUT giving you steroids, unless you have a bracelet that says "adrenal insufficiency". If you get confused and therefore noncooperative, they may even make it worse. This extra sucks, because you can die that way.

The internet isn't a doctor. But doctors are.

Not like I've ever confusedly taken a swing at a paramedic during an adrenal crisis or anything...oh wait, I totally did.

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2010, 3:00 pm

Kassiane wrote:
If you're thinking you might have adrenal insufficiency, see a doctor.

Seriously.

If you go into crisis, first responders aren't going to be looking for that. They're going to be doing everything BUT giving you steroids, unless you have a bracelet that says "adrenal insufficiency". If you get confused and therefore noncooperative, they may even make it worse. This extra sucks, because you can die that way.

The internet isn't a doctor. But doctors are.

Not like I've ever confusedly taken a swing at a paramedic during an adrenal crisis or anything...oh wait, I totally did.

That is probably better advice than what I said...I just try to not make a big deal out of my health stuff. Yes, if you have a feeling that you could have adrenal problems, it's a good idea to get checked out. I hate making a big deal out of it, but the truth is you (and I) can die in a crisis.

Ha, I've never had near enough energy to take a swing at someone in a crisis. There were times I probably purposely would have if I had the energy, though. I get so fed up sometimes, going to the ER and having to explain my condition :x