Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

johnsmcjohn
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 2:36 am

I've been interested in getting into freerunning for a long time. I'm finally thinking it's time to get into it seriously, but the problem is that I am a fat bastard. I cannot run more than a few hundred yards at a time without significant discomfort. So what supplies do I need to get? And also, are there any routes in Las Vegas I should practice?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2011, 3:01 am

johnsmcjohn wrote:
I've been interested in getting into freerunning for a long time. I'm finally thinking it's time to get into it seriously, but the problem is that I am a fat bastard. I cannot run more than a few hundred yards at a time without significant discomfort. So what supplies do I need to get? And also, are there any routes in Las Vegas I should practice?

Though this has become a popular sport, don't be deceived, it requires the same level of training and dedication as any acrobatic sport does. There are free running academies nationwide that you should look into for formal training.

sepia
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Aug 2011, 11:07 am

do it do it do it! you will loose the weight once you get more active. at age 27 and something of a waster i started doing trapeze and have never looked back - if it's upside down and potentially dangerous, i am enthused!

free running has got to be way more interesting way to get fit than the boring old gym... that said gyms, yoga etc are very good at helping you get into better shape to improve your game.
i am sure you can find a group in your area by doing an oline search. hope you let us know how you get on!