How will I ever move on forgetting my meds?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 10:54 am

I am planning on getting a job soon through a disabled program and hope to move out of state once I can afford it, because I hate my hometown. But, I am still always forgetting to take my antidepressants and my birth control pills at the right time of day, and I will often forget altogether unless my mother reminds me to take them. Other times, I will forget what day it is and take a duplicate dose or I will mislabel my meds and take them from the wrong day's pod in my case.

I really don't want to stay in my S****y town forever. I would hate to die in the same place I was born when there are so many beautiful cities in the world I want to travel to. Please help! My mom says to set an alarm on my phone but I leave it turned off most of the time because the battery dies and I will forget to charge it each day.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 11:57 am

http://www.amazon.com/Apex-7-day-Medipl ... B000LR9ZNK
Have you tried a 7 day pill planner?

Girlwithaspergers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:34 pm

I have one but I still forget unless my mom tells me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 1:58 pm

If you are in a disabled program maybe you could ask them if they have any kind of ideas to help you with that. I mean if some sort of written reminder or phone alarm absolutely won't do the trick not sure what else they could do aside from have someone check on you every day to make sure you took them...but if your otherwise able to cover your basic functions not sure you'd want something like that as they'd be sort of a care-worker. But yeah if you do need that kind of verbal reminder perhaps they can provide you access to that support. Otherwise maybe a dry erase board...but then you have to look at it and see what is written if you write 'take meds at (insert time)' obviously it wont help if you end up not looking at it.

Also though nothing wrong with moving out of state, but if its just your town you are sick of why not maybe see about other towns/cities in your state. I mean just not sure how easy it would be to transition to another state especially if the disability program you're in is specific for your state for instance....so you might just keep that in mind. I mean I am on SSI but if I moved states I'd have to update all that info and things might work differently elsewhere which would make it a hassle.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 11:43 pm

Perhaps you could learn to drink small amounts of water in a cup throughout the day, and learn to check your pill case each time you drink some water?

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2015, 11:53 pm

Set your phone and watch to alarm at the right time.

Ram0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Mar 2015, 11:55 pm

you can add an app on your phone to remind you or something like this.
if you can change your meds time, maybe you can choose a better timing?
like when you wake up or before you do something that's daily.

or you can put it somewhere that's always on your sight, next to something you always use/a place you always sit.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Mar 2015, 11:32 pm

You could ask your doc about changing your birth-control to Implanon which is a small rod like device that gets injected in the arm so you won't have to worry about taking the pills. My girlfriend's on that because the hormones are more direct which causes less side-effects that the pills.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2015, 12:07 am

Girlwithaspergers wrote:
I am planning on getting a job soon through a disabled program and hope to move out of state once I can afford it, because I hate my hometown. But, I am still always forgetting to take my antidepressants and my birth control pills at the right time of day, and I will often forget altogether unless my mother reminds me to take them. Other times, I will forget what day it is and take a duplicate dose or I will mislabel my meds and take them from the wrong day's pod in my case.

I really don't want to stay in my S****y town forever. I would hate to die in the same place I was born when there are so many beautiful cities in the world I want to travel to. Please help! My mom says to set an alarm on my phone but I leave it turned off most of the time because the battery dies and I will forget to charge it each day.

I have a very poor sense of time. Consequently, I quickly forget taking medications.

Because of this, whenever I have medications to take, I write the date and time and medication on a whiteboard on the wall. That way, I know when I need to take it again.

That doesn't just apply to prescription medications. Just about any medication is covered. For example, if you take too much acetaminophen (Tylenol), you can suffer enormously as a result especially if you drink alcohol during that time. Consequently, I chart every acetaminophen use and won't drink alcohol within 24 hours of taking acetaminophen (and won't take acetaminophen within 24 hours of drinking alcohol). I also chart antihistamine use as well.