Chicken nuggets: 50% chicken 50% synthetic chemicals

Page 2 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:32 pm

Fast food, mainly fat, sweets, and salts tickle our brains.

Since sweet, salt, and fat are not natural compounds of the natural world, we've been biological programmed to really really like these things.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:36 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:
Fast food, mainly fat, sweets, and salts tickle our brains.

Since sweet, salt, and fat are not natural compounds of the natural world, we've been biological programmed to really really like these things.

Do you have any kind of source or study to back this up or it's just your opinion, based on your preference? I hate the taste of fast food. Any person I've ever met who was exposed and had access to quality, properly cooked fresh food wouldn't touch fast food.

PatrickNeville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:43 pm

Salts exist naturally in lots of foods. Vegetables, fruit, nuts, seeds, meats etc. Maybe not in large quantities but they need to exist and be in our bodies for us to function. The ionic bonds are needed for us to send electrical signals if i am correct.

fat is totally natural. in seeds and nuts especially.

but yeah, adding an abundance of these things to food is not healthy.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 2:45 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
Do you have any kind of source or study to back this up or it's just your opinion, based on your preference? I hate the taste of fast food. Any person I've ever met who was exposed and had access to quality, properly cooked fresh food wouldn't touch fast food.

Yes, hold on...its in my stuff...

BBC Diet a Horizon Guide

And I worded my sentence weird.

What I meant to say is that biology tells us to eat. Us skinny people would have died in the caveman days would have died. We haven't evolved very far from our ancestoral biology.

edit: Also

BBC Horizon Did Cooking Make Us Human is another documentary I recommend.

Sallamandrina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:04 pm

I see - it sounded like you were saying we are "programmed" to like/want fast food which I disagree with. It's the way that stuff is prepared and "cooked" I find disgusting (I mean no offence to those who like it :oops: ). If I want a burger I'll choose some proper fresh beef, mince it and prepare it myself and the same goes for the chicken. If I can't afford it I'm much happier with no meat at all and whatever fresh stuff I can buy. Spices, herbs and a good cook can make a lot of so-called "bland" foods taste great :)

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:23 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:
I see - it sounded like you were saying we are "programmed" to like/want fast food which I disagree with. It's the way that stuff is prepared and "cooked" I find disgusting (I mean no offence to those who like it :oops: ). If I want a burger I'll choose some proper fresh beef, mince it and prepare it myself and the same goes for the chicken. If I can't afford it I'm much happier with no meat at all and whatever fresh stuff I can buy. Spices, herbs and a good cook can make a lot of so-called "bland" foods taste great :)

I love cooking myself. And just cannot stand fast food.

Now and then I do want a hamburger though, but that's so rare.

Your one hamburger meat can contain up to at least thirty different cows.

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 3:31 pm

Sallamandrina wrote:

Fast food sometimes sounds good to me, but then if I eat it, I always find it disgusting. It all tastes the same too.

I read once that sugar is an addictive substance though, and it has the same effects on your body as alcohol (minus the inebriation). I don't remember where I saw it though or know whether it was scientifically sound. I didn't pay that close attention since I don't have a sweet tooth anyway. XD

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 5:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
i must be one of the few defectives who thinks that junk food is delicious and that raw veggies unleavened by salt and sugar taste like hell. it seems that which tastes good isn't good for you, and that the bitter/sour foods are good for you. why does the tongue draw some of us to bad food? is it a defective organ, or one in need of a good tuning? i read that some of us are "supertasters" who are extraordinarily sensitive to bitterness in food, and that the majority of these supertasters are [simultaneously] abnormally insensitive to sweet and salty flavors. i am a supertaster, and this is one super i'd gladly trade-in for a base model.

Humans and most mammals are hardwired to seek certain flavors that have the highest chance of giving them scarce nutrients.

Salt, Sugar, Acids (fruits) are the highest in the priority list. That is why most food, particularly junk food, makes it a point to taste salty or sweet. Acidic flavor is used a lot in candy ..not only to simulate fruit flavor but also because it entices that hardwired need to consume MORE of acidic taste candy rather than a candy that is simply sweet... aka chocolate is a prime example of this.

I quit eating anything sold in fast food restaurants long time ago. I may eat a pizza every 5 months but thats about it O.o

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 5:58 pm

Pandora_Box wrote:

BBC Horizon Did Cooking Make Us Human is another documentary I recommend.

I saw it.. its very good documentary. Did a paper on it for my bio anthropology class.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 4:27 pm

I haven't eaten chicken nuggets from a fast food joint and I don't really like KFC their fries are cat and like Mr Cod's chicken gives me the s**ts a day after eating them which didn't happen when I was younger. I can really not eat take out chicken because I have had a bad reaction to eating either chicken burgers or the pieces of fried chicken due the to risk of getting a bout of diarrhoea from the food and no matter where I bought it from. I don't like the HCl type sore ringpiece after having a bad reaction to the prevous nights snack and the next 6 hours on the toilet. I'm not sure if that is because of bady prepared food or bad hygiene where food is prepared or sold or is it as I'm not as young as I used to be being nearly 50. :arrow:

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 4:17 pm

Maybe should try these nuggets?

http://honeyandfigskitchen.com/2014/08/cauliflower-nuggets.html

Can substitute almond meal and coconut oil for paleo. Yum!

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2015, 4:26 pm

I don't go to McDonald's looking for healthy food. I already know it's chemicals; I eat there for the same reasons why I'd smoke a cigarette or drink a lot of alcohol: it's bad for me, but it gives me a good buzz because of its addictive properties, plus it has the added benefit of being semi-actual food that I can derive at least a minimal amount of nutrients from to survive.

Who here would honestly be surprised by any "revelation" that food from McDonald's is gross and disgusting? It's the same as if telling a smoker "hey, smoking's bad for you". My only response is an apathetic shrug. It's not like I eat there every day, or even every week.

qFox
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jan 2015, 9:22 pm

50% 'synthetic chemicals' is not true, as the other 50% of the chicken nugget is simply starch mixed in with the meat. This is why their chicken nuggets are so spongy since 50% of them is just starch. Not healthy or good in any stretch but it won't really hurt you. It is more or less a scam, as 50% of the nugget are simple carbohydrates rather than actual chicken protein.

The really nasty stuff the article talks about is in the cooking oil, which is indeed worrying. This also means that all products baked in that oil contain anti-foaming agent and synthetic preservatives. If you cooked that same nugget in 100% vegetable oil it wouldn't be that bad other than having a rather poor nutrition value.

An important point is that while food is heavily regulated and checked, products used to prepare food such as cooking oil are often not. This is what requires attention as if these are checked those chemicals in the oil would be strictly prohibited.