Help why do I keep getting diarrhoea?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 5:52 pm

It has always been unlike me to have diarrhoea, but in the last 2 months I should say, I've been having random bouts of diarrhoea. My stools seem to switch randomly from constipation, to normal, to diarrhoea. I can bear constipation, but I hate diarrhoea, and it's always made me anxious and uneasy. The diarrhoea has been happening usually 2-3 times a week, in between alternative stools (constipation and normal). So the diarrhoea is not constant, and I'll only go once, but it's still worrying me a bit. I haven't changed anything in my diet, and I don't eat the same sort of foods all the time. I'm trying to keep a log of what foods I eat and try to work out what it is that could be causing such contrary changes in stools, but I can't seem to figure out what it is exactly. I do get thirsty a lot, so maybe I'm not drinking enough drink, although this morning I had some juice. I know it is not lactose intolerance because I drank a whole pink of milk the other day and didn't have diarrhoea (stools were normal for a couple of days after that, not constipation or diarrhoea).

I have been under a lot of stress with work, so I'm hoping it's just stress, although I've been in stressful situations before and have never had diarrhoea with it. I still have a normal appetite, and diarrhoea isn't affecting that at all. It's making me feel anxious to go out too far because diarrhoea comes on all of a sudden and I have a phobia of vomiting or having diarrhoea in public toilets. I don't even really like passing any stools really in public toilets. It just doesn't feel private, and I am hypersensitive to embarrassment. I am so scared I have bowel cancer or something dreadful like that. I don't have bleeding in my stools or anything. What could it be? Does this sound like a stress-related thing? Does anyone know of any home remedies I could use to prevent diarrhoea?

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 4:39 am

Hi,

Could it be irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? The cause of it is not really known but stress makes IBS worse if you already have it. The symptoms could be from constipation to diarrhea, including funny-shaped shít, thin stools and a feeling of incomplete evacuation etc.

You should try not to get stressed, stop taking caffeine, take psyllium husk (dietary fiber) and be physically active. But you should see a doctor about it before it's too late.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 5:14 am

I was about to suggest IBS as well, it is semi-common among autistics

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 6:15 am

I am hoping it's just IBS, and not anything serious. But diarrheoa is affecting the antidepressants that I'm on, because I've been feeling a bit woozy, and also the same depression I had before I went on them has come back slightly, and I've been on them nearly a year. I know that it's the typical wooziness you get when you're not taking your antidepressants properly.

I think I better go to the doctor if this carries on, just to see what I can take for it. I keep feeling bloated too, and I look bloated as well. I am trying to drink juice or water whenever I'm thirsty, because maybe diarrhoea could be a form of dehydration.

All these bowel things frighten me to death. Two people in my family have dibercuticulosis (sorry if I spelled that wrong), and if I get that my life will be over. One of them has to wear a pad all the time, and sometimes has attacks of diarrhoea when she's out, and it literally just comes out. Also she constantly has wind and cannot control that either. I do not want to be like that, at least not at my age (she's in her 70s). I am young, slim and blonde, and in my first relationship with a handsome guy, I can not have something like that happen to me. :oops: :cry:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 7:59 am

I've had bowel issues since I was VERY young.

I alternate constipation and diarrhea--it's mostly diarrhea, though.

I'm not having the best of days right now. I woke up having to go to the loo about 4-5 times BEFORE I went to work.