02 Apr 2011, 11:13 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gDuRHEY6Xs[/youtube]

Awesome!

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2011, 7:43 pm

Agreed. Awesome.

But I wonder how good he is at working out when to pass it off to a teammate. There are plenty of talented sporting individuals, but a team is more than the sum of its parts.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 4:11 am

Does it really matter with a bunch of less talented kids his age?

If you can be as good as Captain Tsubasa, who the f*ck needs teamwork? I'll just quickly hand you the ball as soon as I receive it. ;)

m2o2r2g2
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Apr 2011, 10:06 pm

speaking as an elite sportsperson (in a team sport)

Being way more talented than the others is good for now. The problem with these people is that they will eventually start playing against older people (or get moved up a classification). Eventually they will start playing against people just as talented as them. And believe me there is ALMOST noone on earth who is head and shoulders above everyone else in their sport, who havent completely mastered EVERY aspect of the sport.

This boy will eventually be put into these games. He will then find that his solo skills are not enough. Never having practiced the other aspect of his sport, he will suffer some big setbacks, and quickly. His bulletproof confidence from never having been challenged will suddenly shatter like a pane of glass. He will then be discarded by his teammates because he is not producing results.

I think we all know how being discarded by society feels...

He then (if he is strong willed), will transform himself by working 10x harder than everyone else to master his team skills. Or (and this is the more common option unfortunately) he will get frustrated, learn to resent the sport and "burn out" leaving everyone to wonder what might have been.

Sporting history is littered with stories like this.

Talent is not uncommon.
But much more is needed for success.