Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

n3rdgir1
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Nov 2011, 9:53 am

Before you go on and on about the evils of Adkins and high protein diets I feel I have to mention I'm talking about high fat all meat diets like the Eskimos used to eat.

I just started a modified all meat paleo diet 4 days ago. These have been proven to stop epileptic seizures and I was wondering if anyone on the spectrum has experience with them.

sgrannel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 9:58 am

All meat probably isn't good for you. You'll turn into a Lummox!

http://www.mefeedia.com/watch/29754076

But a dog knows his boy can go wrong

Last edited by sgrannel on 14 Nov 2011, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mar00
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 10:18 am

It's all good as long as you are going to engage in Eskimos-lifestyle as well. And consume only organic produce preferably by hunting it yourself.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 10:48 am

Good grief, you think the Eskimo ate that way on purpose? They were forced to by the extreme climate, I bet they would love to eat fresh fruit and veggies if they were available!

Anyway it's your body/life but if you were my child we'd be in the car on the way to the nutritionist. ;)

WorldsEdge
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 12:40 pm

mushroo wrote:
Good grief, you think the Eskimo ate that way on purpose? They were forced to by the extreme climate,

Whether they were forced to eat that way or not is hardly the point. What resulted from them eating that way is what's pertinent to someone looking at a diet plan. And most of what I've seen indicates they were in fact quite healthy, getting things like Vitamin C and D from sources no Western nutritionist would or could have imagined.

The problem on my end is that these "paleo-" type diets typically do NOT reflect how whatever group one is trying to mimic actually ate. In the case of the Inuit, they ate the brains, the marrow, the liver, the kidneys of land animals, and everything from whale skin to seal liver to fish eyeballs from the sea. Probably all these different sources, gross as some of them are, are what gave them a diet with all needed nutrients. Quite frankly, I find it a tad difficult to think n3rdgirl has a supply of seal liver and whale skin laid in, or is able to find perfect substitutes.

Quote:
I bet they would love to eat fresh fruit and veggies if they were available!

And I bet their descendents, introduced to the dubious joys of civilization, have elected processed food and whiskey over most everything else. I say this since as a group the Inuit now have one of the highest rates of both alcoholism and diabetes in the US.

Quote:
Anyway it's your body/life but if you were my child we'd be in the car on the way to the nutritionist. ;)

Well, its your money, so spending $75/hour to listen to blather from a pseudoscientific cultist recommend a diet that you won't lose weight on is your own prerogative. ;)

"The man who has fed the chicken every day throughout its life at last wrings its neck instead, showing that more refined views as to the uniformity of nature would have been useful to the chicken." ? Bertrand Russell

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Nov 2011, 1:24 pm

WorldsEdge wrote:
And I bet their descendents, introduced to the dubious joys of civilization, have elected processed food and whiskey over most everything else. I say this since as a group the Inuit now have one of the highest rates of both alcoholism and diabetes in the US.

Yup, I agree 100% processed food and alcohol are sadly very addictive and destructive in all corners of the globe. :(
If the OP wants to eliminate processed sugar, flour, additives, preservatives, alcohol, etc. and replace them with a balanced whole-foods diet, I think that's sensible.

WorldsEdge wrote:
Well, its your money, so spending $75/hour to listen to blather from a pseudoscientific cultist recommend a diet that you won't lose weight on is your own prerogative. ;)

As opposed to "eat raw seals"?

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 3:03 pm

n3rdgir1 wrote:
Before you go on and on about the evils of Adkins and high protein diets I feel I have to mention I'm talking about high fat all meat diets like the Eskimos used to eat.

I just started a modified all meat paleo diet 4 days ago. These have been proven to stop epileptic seizures and I was wondering if anyone on the spectrum has experience with them.

Yeah, paleo diets are cool for a little bit. You'll get retardedly strong with them, feel great for a while, just there's one problem. Your body's PH gets super acidic and you die at age 45 like the Eskimos did. Oh, they also had arthritis and all that fun stuff, too. Acidic PH=death and health problems.

That said, consuming an all meat diet is like going vegan, at first you just see incredible gains and it's great, then after a while the problems of the diet start to occur. It's best to be balanced, and probably lean more on the side of healthy vegetables.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 4:41 pm

n3rdgir1 wrote:

You might encounter the same problems as Wolfmaster.

psayles56
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2011, 12:25 am

I was a vegetarian for years and then was a vegan for a while. I recently started eating SOME meat. I mostly like chicken and I am very picky with my food, especially my chicken. It has to be breaded or fried or something. I know grilled chicken is healthier I just don't like how it tastes. I don't really like turkey. I really don't want to eat red meat. I don't really like most of it anyway. I really love animals and feel horrible that I am even eating chicken but I had gotten sick from not having enough protein but now that I am eating protein I am getting so FAT. Gah!

mapanoy
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Nov 2011, 2:17 am

I think meat is not good for you

n3rdgir1

15 Nov 2011, 9:37 am

I was looking more for anyone who had tried it. It tends to be a last resort for people with epilepsy who are unresponsive to drug treatments and is reportedly a "miracle cure". The first thing I noticed was that after a few days I stopped stimming. Overall I feel great.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Nov 2011, 3:01 pm

n3rdgir1 wrote:
I was looking more for anyone who had tried it. It tends to be a last resort for people with epilepsy who are unresponsive to drug treatments and is reportedly a "miracle cure". The first thing I noticed was that after a few days I stopped stimming. Overall I feel great.

Sorry to hear about your epilepsy, it is not a condition I have any experience with, but I'm sure it can be frustrating and scary.
There is some evidence that diet and epilepsy are linked, but you need to talk to your doctor before you do something radical like eliminating fruits and vegetables. I am worried that if your health gets worse due to poor nutrition, you will become weakened and less able to withstand the challenges of your condition.

There are thousands of "miracle cures" on the internet, most of the time if they sound "too good to be true" that's your brain warning you. Euphoria is a common side-effect of starvation, so just because you "feel great" does not mean your all-meat diet is healthy! :( Talk to your doctor!

Mackica
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 3:50 pm

An all meat diet has go to be the most unhealthy diet around. 8O Do you know it takes 72 hours to FULLY digest meat? It's rotting in your body for literally days! Disgusting!

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 8:29 pm

A diet can be ketogenic without being all meat. Does the treatment mandate literally all meat or merely ketogenic? It matters, because ketogenic diets still have some vegetables. In any case, as WorldsEdge says, you can't get all your nutrients from meat unless you commit to eating literally all of the animal. If you stick to muscle meat, you will miss essential nutrients that those Inuits got and that you need.

Research if the diet needs to be all meat or merely ketogenic. If merely ketogenic, you can eat low glycemic vegetables. Although I personally do not have epilepsy, all the references I've seen to epilepsy treated by a ketogenic diet are just that...ketogenic not all meat. (I eat ordinary Paleo of the type described by Loren Cordain et.al. which has plenty of fruits and vegetables along with the meat.)

The Epilepsy Foundation says ketogenic, not all meat.

http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/about ... 5Qod501qrA

You might be safer while still controlling seizures by going with a ketogenic form of the Paleo diet which has controlled low glycemic vegetables and does not require you to eat brains and eyeballs.

Infoseeker
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2011, 11:07 am

Something to take into account, as said earlier they were forced into that diet, is an important pretense. They had gone through hundreds of generations of natural selection that optimally/genetically tweaked their body to operate on such a diet.

A mainland human would not be efficient on such a specific diet.

That Natural Selection is the cause you see American Indians with the highest diabetes rate in the world; due to a modern diet. Also the same reason Saudi Arabia has the second highest diabetes rate in the world; generations of natural selection in the desert does not expect people to eat franchise food in a building as high as the lowest clouds!

Please reconsider, and put more research on a diet made for you.

Fun side-note tangent from the post above me, eating all the animal includes wild cats eating the half-digested grain from the inside of a mouse's stomach. Mice, yum, a balanced meal!

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 7:54 pm

Have you tried an amino acid supplement or been prescribed a reuptake inhibitor before? I don't know neurobiology that well but many neurotransmitters are amino acid based. It makes sense if there is a defect in some pathway, you might not be making enough of that neurotransmitter leading to the epilepsy or stimming effects. Again that is pure conjecture on my part though you may want to look into it with your physician.