Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 6:34 pm

Okay, I seem to get quite "under the weather" every time there's a sudden drop in temperature - and given that I live in Winnipeg, that's quite often in the winter. What's the cause and potential remedies for this?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 6:37 pm

The same thing happens to me. I live in Western Canada and I've gone through the same thing for the second winter in a row. I have a feeling that I have pneumonia again for the second winter in a row. I hate winter.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 6:39 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
The same thing happens to me. I live in Western Canada and I've gone through the same thing for the second winter in a row. I have a feeling that I have pneumonia again for the second winter in a row. I hate winter.

I was sick last week, recovered and felt like "a million bucks" on Friday, Saturday, and (to a lesser extent) Sunday - and then got sick again on Wednesday.

It's currently -20°C (or -30°C with the windchill) in Winnipeg.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2012, 9:18 am

do you have clothes that are warm enough and get enough sunlight?
i'd try eating foods good for your immune system and get exercise everyday to get your circulation going. nothing drastic, walking or any compound exercise that gets your blood flowing should do it
when i sit down for most of a day then try to exercise i have to be very gentle so as not to strain myself but if i get up and get my circulation going the rest of the day is good

it seems unlikely there is one cause, i would not rule it out though. Improving your health in general if it is feasible should help regardless

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 1:28 am

Try wearing a hat, if you don't already. Seem to work for me... I can even set my thermostat lower if I have one on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 6:50 am

some mundane things that work for me-
cooling off if i am hot, as winter-chilled sweat is not a good thing
bundling up [meaning no uncovered skin, head to toe] if i am cold
multivitamins/multiminerals daily along with a gram of C and some E daily
keeping aerobically fit with an hour or so of daily exercise did the most of all to keep my previously regular winter colds/pneumonias from repeating this year, so far, god-willing.
at the first hint of a chill or sniffle, i take "emercenC" or "airborne" - i can't say it is medicinally a panacea but maybe there is some placebo effect taking place, but it makes me feel better.
going outdoors only when exercising or errands, staying indoors otherwise.
in hot weather when the pollens are airborne, i also stay indoors with air conditioning, as much as possible, as the allergies for me often turned into sinus infections/bronchitis/atypical pneumonia. in any case, i learned to be on the lookout for the first subtle symptoms of unwellness so i could try to nip those in the bud before they got too big to handle without seeing a doc.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 6:54 am

Honey mixed in hot chocolate works a treat if you ever get a sore throat.

keira
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2012, 7:30 am

Good diet, exercise and keeping warm are essential.

However, I try to help my immune system a bit more during winter.
Now, I drink some chlorophyll daily. It has lots of benefits and so far I haven't been seriously ill in a very long time.
A few years back my immune system was very weakened. A surgery, general anesthesia and poor diet got me there. My doctor advised me to take Cat's claw (pills) for a month. The effect was great.
However, you should check with your doctor before using either. Maybe your doctor will advice you something even better.