2. Do exercise.
3. Drink more water.
4. Avoid smoking.
5. Skip Fast foods.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 2:58 am

My tip for weight loss is to drink lots of black coffee. It has no calories, it sates your hunger, and it makes you more motivated to exercise. Side effects may include going insane.

Methylphenidate (ritalin / rubifen) works even better, but you would need a diagnosis of ADHD or something.

Or you could do something responsible and non-addictive, like changing your habits. But where's the fun in that?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 5:15 am

Brendon wrote:
4. Avoid smoking.

This one makes no sense (unless you weren't talking about tobacco). Cigarettes suppress the appetite. Back in the days when I smoked 2-3 packs a day, I could go half a day without eating. Sometimes I only ate a single meal in the afternoon.

Sickpuppies124
Raven
Raven

29 Mar 2012, 7:20 am

Run 3-5 times a week till you puke or you get sick and you'll burn it all off in a few months.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:30 pm

If you want to lose weight do not eat sugar or anything made from enriched flour. Do not eat potatoes or drink juices. Eat a lot of fish and veggies. Fruits are good, and will keep blood sugar from getting too low. You will lose weight in no time. Be sure to eat plenty of veggies and get protein everyday. I like to drink Green Tea and suck on sugar free candy whenever I crave sweets. Werther's Original sugar free candies are really good with about eight calories each in the minis. It's like having a cup of coffee with cream and sugar.

Just remember, pasta, bread, orange juice, potatoes, all break down into sugar that feeds fat cells in the body so you have to not eat or drink these to shed pounds.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:57 pm

Quote:
1. Eat less.

This I disagree with because it doesn't work for everyone. Personally, I tried the "eat less" thing for years and I got fatter, even combined with exercise. I started to lose weight when I ate more calories. The difference was where the calories came from. Before they mostly came from carbs such as rice and just about every glutenfree product on the market. But taking a hint from keto, I cut most carbs and started eating more meats. I've lost about 10% of my body fat percentage and gained a decent amount of muscle.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 5:10 am

You can't simply eat less, you need to slowly and gradually come away from eating excess calories. If you are taking a caloric intake of 5000, you need to slowly go down each fortnight or month to 4500 or 4000 and keep progressing downwards as you lose weight and reach your body fat goal.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

You need to learn a sustainable life plan for staying healthy. You can work yourself to death and lose a lot of weight, but is it sustainable? You need something that fits your life without it getting in the way of it.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 5:26 pm

I forgot to mention, eat plenty of beans, all varieties. They are so good for you and they help your body regulate your weight. Also, do not ingest artificial sweeteners as they interfere with the liver breaking down body fat. Once you lose weight, use them to maintain weight but while trying to lose, don't rely on them to replace sugar unless it's a sugar free candy once or twice a day. Stick with small candies that are too small to really matter, but don't eat too many or it's like drinking a diet soft drink!

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 5:47 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Also, do not ingest artificial sweeteners as they interfere with the liver breaking down body fat.

Do you have a source for this?
I've been trying to cut back my sweetener usage lately (it gets really expensive- way more than sugar....no wonder so many have diabetes!)
and could use some motivation!

to his Interest."

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 6:52 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Also, do not ingest artificial sweeteners as they interfere with the liver breaking down body fat.

I've never heard of that, but artificial sweeteners are acidic, which can inhibit losing fat. Maybe it's more connected than I'm thinking?

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

I have this link:

http://componentsofahealthylifestyle.wo ... g-you-fat/

I have been experimenting with healthy foods since I started a healthy food diet in January without sugar, flour products like bread and pasta, and potatoes. I found it's really easy to cook a great soup in no time flat out of cooked beans, one onion, minced garlic, a couple stalks of celery, chopped, salmon, chicken breast, the stock I cooked the beans in, and, depending on what kind of beans I am using, either chili powder, cumin and garllic salt or thyme and garlic salt. With Pinto or Cranberry beans, I stick to the southwestern Tex Mex spices. I might even one chopped Roma tomato. With Great Northern or Navy beans, I season with thyme and garlic salt. I always make sure I saute one chopped yellow onion, celery and a teaspoon minced garlic and a sprinkle of garlic salt in olive oil before adding everything else because the onions aren't flavorful otherwise. I also add a tablespoon of vinegar. After adding everything to the onion/ celery mixture, I bring it to a boil and reduce it some, then I simmer it 15 to 30 minutes. in a dutch oven with a lid. I cook the beans first after soaking them, at the very least, overnight. Most bean varieties will cook up faster the longer I soak them, so I try to five them half a day and overnight to soak in a pan of water. Then I rinse them and look through them thoroughly, then put them in a dutch oven and put enough hot water from the tap on them so the dutch oven is nearly full. I add three Bay leafs, some salt, three of four frozen salmon fillets and three or four frozen chicken breast tenderloins. I bring everything to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium until the beans are tender. I use the chicken and salmon in the soup after shredding it by mashing it with a spoon while it's still in the pan. The water the beans cook in makes a flavorful soup stock. I find this to be a very nutritious meal and low in fat. It isn't loaded with sodium, either. The garlic salt is important, though. Without it, the soup is very bland.

I am not sure how much weight I lost on this soup diet, but my clothes are much looser now, and I look thinner. I eat other things beside the soup, but it has grown on me and now I think it's better tasting than the junk food I used to eat. My taste buds have detoxified from sugar. Fruit tastes much sweeter to me now. I can't believe how sweet it tastes, when before, nothing compared to the sweetness of sugar.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 4:29 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
I have this link:

http://componentsofahealthylifestyle.wo ... g-you-fat/

I have been experimenting with healthy foods since I started a healthy food diet in January without sugar, flour products like bread and pasta, and potatoes. I found it's really easy to cook a great soup in no time flat out of cooked beans, one onion, minced garlic, a couple stalks of celery, chopped, salmon, chicken breast, the stock I cooked the beans in, and, depending on what kind of beans I am using, either chili powder, cumin and garllic salt or thyme and garlic salt. With Pinto or Cranberry beans, I stick to the southwestern Tex Mex spices. I might even one chopped Roma tomato. With Great Northern or Navy beans, I season with thyme and garlic salt. I always make sure I saute one chopped yellow onion, celery and a teaspoon minced garlic and a sprinkle of garlic salt in olive oil before adding everything else because the onions aren't flavorful otherwise. I also add a tablespoon of vinegar. After adding everything to the onion/ celery mixture, I bring it to a boil and reduce it some, then I simmer it 15 to 30 minutes. in a dutch oven with a lid. I cook the beans first after soaking them, at the very least, overnight. Most bean varieties will cook up faster the longer I soak them, so I try to five them half a day and overnight to soak in a pan of water. Then I rinse them and look through them thoroughly, then put them in a dutch oven and put enough hot water from the tap on them so the dutch oven is nearly full. I add three Bay leafs, some salt, three of four frozen salmon fillets and three or four frozen chicken breast tenderloins. I bring everything to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium until the beans are tender. I use the chicken and salmon in the soup after shredding it by mashing it with a spoon while it's still in the pan. The water the beans cook in makes a flavorful soup stock. I find this to be a very nutritious meal and low in fat. It isn't loaded with sodium, either. The garlic salt is important, though. Without it, the soup is very bland.

I am not sure how much weight I lost on this soup diet, but my clothes are much looser now, and I look thinner. I eat other things beside the soup, but it has grown on me and now I think it's better tasting than the junk food I used to eat. My taste buds have detoxified from sugar. Fruit tastes much sweeter to me now. I can't believe how sweet it tastes, when before, nothing compared to the sweetness of sugar.

Yeah, I've been considering going wheat free for a long time.
I was for a few months last year, but temptations at the parents' house got to me a lot. >.<

I might omit the the chicken and fish (I'm vegan) but that does sound like a great recipe, and congratulations on the weight loss!

I can agree about how we train our taste buds- I can remember a time when I didn't even put sweetener in my tea, and now I use oodles (yes, that's a quantifiable unit).

to his Interest."

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 5:04 pm

Doesn't removing all gluten, yeast, milk and sugar containing foods cause gigantic weight loss in most people?

And like removing all the meats from your plate except for chicken?

This is what caused me to slim down massively.

Can't say I'm regretting this diet.

Canis_Majoris
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2012, 7:16 pm

Uprising wrote:
Doesn't removing all gluten, yeast, milk and sugar containing foods cause gigantic weight loss in most people?

And like removing all the meats from your plate except for chicken?

This is what caused me to slim down massively.

Can't say I'm regretting this diet.

I've lost 30lbs since going gluten/dairy free. I'm also avoiding eggs, high fructose corn syrup, artificial sweeteners, and sodium nitrate/nitrite (in processed meats). I eat poultry maybe 3-4 times a week, and other meats 2 or 3 times per month.

Other tips:
Avoid drinking your calories (ie drink water or tea)
Stay away from artificial colors and flavors
If you're hungry when you don't need to be, drink a glass of water, and if you're still hungry eat a fruit or vegetable
Write down what and how much you eat, I use the "lose it" app because it does all the work for me and will even work out my macronutrient ratios and keep track of sodium and stuff. I love data lol. If anyone decides to use that, pm me and I'll add you as a friend on there.

I think a very important thing is to not read all this and think "omg that's like a zillion things, I can't do it!" Pick one or two and start there, every improvement is a step in the right direction.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 7:21 pm

There's really no magic formula to it; I've been both overweight and down to a mere 7% bodyfat--so I know what I'm talking about. It's all about the classic "calories in vs. calories out" equation.

Having said that, proteins are very beneficial. Before they're converted to energy, they're used to repair wear and tear on muscle. The body also uses more energy breaking down proteins than it does breaking down carbs, so hypothetically speaking, a diet consisting of 3000 calories in pure protein, would be a lot less fattering than a dies consisting of 3000 calories in pure carbs (not that any of them is possible in the real world).