25 Apr 2012, 12:21 am

Sarcasm?

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2012, 2:16 am

Delphiki wrote:
Pondering wrote:
Egg whites to my knowledge lack the cholesterol that Egg yolks have. Egg whites are high in protein. Many people consume egg whites to lose weight, gain or maintain mass because egg whites are considered a "Clean" food. I usually make them scrambled, with spray on a nonstick pan. A easier way to get the stuff stuck on the pan off is to run scolding hot water on the pan, combined with a really good Dish Soap. Wait a couple hours and scrape.

Egg whites lack the cholesterol that egg yolks have and most of the nutrients too. Egg whites are not high in protein, they have some but not as much as the yolk.

snapcap wrote:
If you're worried about eating the egg yolk, then maybe there are other more pressing health issues at hand.

It all depends on what you are aiming for. They are not high in protein, I suppose, but they are a great source of it, and if you are like me I eat many servings per sitting. You could combine egg whites and whole eggs and scramble them up too if you want. Tastes good and his healthy. I am also reading on multiple sites ATM that yolk does not contain protein, it contains fat and cholesterol though. Also reading other sites that says egg yolk has around 3.5g protein, and whites have pretty much the same... So I don't know and I don't normally eat egg whites so I don't care enough to research it much.

coconapple
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

Yeah, if you don't eat the yolk you would lose all the great nutrients in there.
Personally if I had to pick one or the other I would eat the yolk. If I needed the protein, I can get it through meat.

1 egg white, 4g protein.
FOUR egg whites: 16g protein. 1 chicken drumstick: 16g protein.
1 egg yolk: 3g protein.
(nutritiondata.self.com)

I'd rather eat a delicious juicy drumstick than the tasteless egg whites that make me gag ;D
But if you eat both yolk and white, then it might be cheaper than eating the meat.

When I eat eggs, I eat both the yolk and whites, to make sure I get all the different nutrients that they contain.

Don't be afraid of eating egg yolks because of the saturated fat. If you eat a clean diet otherwise, you will be fine. Just because people are scared of saturated fat, they go overboard and want to remove it from everything!

The scare about saturated fat is because most people get them from processed junk. If you limit it to foods found in nature like the eggs, meat (even red), and such, you'll be okay.

So eat your yolks because they are healthy. For those scared of saturated fat, don't eat candies (M&Ms, candy bars), cakes/cupcakes/muffins, fast food burgers (you don't know what junk is in it, but homemade burger is OK), processed meats (hot-dog, sausages, etc).

Hope this helps...

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 11:26 am

Well I had 2 good whole Amish Eggs bought locally for breakfast. Mixed in with Cheddar, Feta, Tomato, Onion, Yellow Bell Pepper, Spinach, and 2 sausage links.

Topped with some Basil and Tapatio Picante hot sauce.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2012, 12:12 pm

Fat is a necessary nutrient; unless your doctor has instructed you to reduce your fat and/or cholesterol, it is OK to eat the whole egg. (I do encourage you to eat local eggs from chickens that are treated humanely and fed a healthy diet. Farm fresh eggs have a bright orange yolk that is really beautiful and delicious! :))

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 12:13 pm

I'm not eating Chinese century eggs. They look disgusting.

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

Poached eggs, sprinkle of black pepper and buttered wholemeal toast. Perfect breakfast.

mushroo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Apr 2012, 12:38 pm

I like mine fried over-medium with beans, rice, corn tortilla, fresh salsa, and guacamole. :-)

coconapple

26 Apr 2012, 4:03 pm

mushroo wrote:
Fat is a necessary nutrient; unless your doctor has instructed you to reduce your fat and/or cholesterol, it is OK to eat the whole egg.

Even if your doctor tells you to restrict fat and cholesterol, doesn't mean your body suddenly doesn't need it. Your doctor doesn't have more authority than Nature :-D

Actually I was told not to eat fat or cholesterol, because I had gallbladder pain and attacks for years. I also had fatty liver (non-alcoholic), and my triglyceride number was sky-high, with HDL very, very low.
I was so angry, because I was already eating extreeeeeemely low fat, so how dare they tell me I must be doing something wrong? Anyway, I was scheduled for gallbladder surgery. . .

But instead, my mother came take care of me and cooked for me everyday. By accident it turned out we ate meat and vegetables. I didn't have any money so I had no choice but to eat what she fed me. A month later, BAM!, no more gallbladder attacks... unless I ate grains! No surgery for me, woohoo!

Stupid doctors. . .

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 4:56 pm

I personally don't eat eggs much, since there are much better tasting and healthier foods out there to enjoy in place of eggs.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2012, 11:26 pm

Tequila wrote:
I'm not eating Chinese century eggs. They look disgusting.

They smell disgusting, too. But they don't really taste like anything.